Sorry, but I'm getting fed up with the fanboy crap in here

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mike_G, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Ok, first off, HI everyone.

I know I don't have thousands of posts here under my belt like some people, but I've posted THOUSANDS of articles on Usenet since 1990 (yes, that's 12 years of Usenet). I came to HTF to get away from the unmoderated, adolescent crap that plagued Usenet. I love the HTF mainly because people are much more mature in here.

As I've stated before, I'm platform agnostic. I own all 3 platforms. I'm getting a little sick and tired of people slamming one system or another with lies, half-truths, and FUD (Fear. Uncertainty. Death).

It seems to me that the biggest problem is that people are so wrapped up in the platform they love, that they don't spend the time to research the others. Therefore, any time they hear something negative about another platform, they regurgitate it like it's something they heard from the Burning Bush.

We all love our toys, and that's essentially what they are. Some people might put game systems on a higher pedastal than others, but they're toys no matter how you look at them. This has become a fanboy arena about toys. They all push pixels, they all play games, they all get us pissed off when we can't win and elated when we do.

People seem to forget that now that we have THREE surviving systems to choose from, that the appeal is going to go in different directions. People don't like Halo. Fine. People hate Microsoft. Fine. People don't like Nintendo. Fine. People don't like Playstaion. Odd, but fine. This has become the geek version of bigotry. As I said before, game systems are placed on pedastals by some people. Stop turning this into a religious war!

My suggestions:

Don't post knee-jerk responses.

Do your homework.

Be a little more open-minded.

Borrow a friend's competing system.

Don't belive everything you hear.

Nobody knows what the future holds for any of these systems. There's so much politics and marketing going on that nobody here has the slightest inkling of understanding. Don't pretend to know everything. And PLEASE STOP with the isloated cases and grafting it onto a planetary scale. If your local WalMart has 4000 GameCubes and 2 XBoxes, try and refrain yourself from saying that the GC isn't selling.

I'm done.

Mike

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree more. There's absolutely no reason to be strictly and exclusively for or against any particular system.
    I own a PS2 - love it. I own an Xbox - so far, so good. If I could afford it, I'd be all over a GameCube for Super Monkey Ball alone. The only thing I've ever been interested in is good games, I couldn't care less what system they're on.
    Just glancing at the teamxbox.com forums gives me a headache, the utter stupidity is maddening. Don't let this civil board turn into something like that...just let it go, enjoy the games.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey Mike...it isn't that bad here actually. [​IMG]
    Calm down...take a deep breath!
    So far, the fanboy stuff is virtually nonexistant. Just the questionable/borderline stuff remains, and I don't think they are deliberate trolling attempts either. The HTF is pretty good at self-policing, and none of the threads have blown up yet.
    I believe David P had good intentions with his posts, and I commend him for suggesting the mods close them. That's good enough for me!
    You and I know that the statements made by those essayists are just fodder for the fanboys, and I'm sure the poster knows that now too!

4. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I respect what you have to say and couldn't agree more. its all about FUD, people don't want there platform to die.

5. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I'd actually tend to agree with Max - I think there is relatively little fanboy stuff here. Sure, some comes up, but it's not that often. Besides, can't you set preferences now to suppress any specific user's posts?

6. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

oh yeah oh yeah!?!?!?!?!?!
    well ..uhm.....my brother's classmate's older sister's boyfriend's cousin works at walmart and he says they have like hundreds of xboxes just sitting there because no one wants them! xbox su>

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

As others have stated already in this thread, the fanboy rhetoric on this board is almost non-existant in comparison to other boards on the Internet. Sure, we have some problem members who like to stir up trouble and push people's buttons, but they are the exception, not the rule. In fact, lately I've seen more effort from members avoid such clashes than I have time to recall here. One of them happened in my Super Smash Bros review thread, which was well on its way to becoming yet another tiresome Xbox vs. Gamecube thread before others stepped in and requested that we get back on track. To those people, I am very grateful, seeing as I did not want my thread to fall victim to such trite and meaningless battles.

What happened with David's threads clearly demonstrates this. Upon reading these two threads, everyone who replied (including myself) saw them as nothing more than pathetic fanboy attempts to cut down the Xbox and the Gamecube disguised as a serious and objective analysis of what will happen in the world of videogame consoles in the coming years. Basically, this guy was not mature enough to have his thoughts posted here. I was very glad when David requested that both threads be closed before things got too out of hand.

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I absolutely agree with everything you said Mike. In fact the whole FUD thing sounds very similar to something I mentioned in the "Nintendo Outsells" thread.
    Also I want to mention that I think the fanboy crap is very much kept to minimum here except for 1 or two problem people. I love this forum. It is one of the best places to come and discuss one of my biggest obsessions[​IMG].

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

10. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    You're right, the fanboy crap is minimal, but I saw it getting more and more in the last few days. I wanted to stop it before it became rampant.

Mike

11. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

12. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

I just went to the Teamxbox.com forums. I am a changed man and much more thankful of forums like this. I actually feel like I need a shower after taking a dip in those forums. Welcome to the Mountain Dew generation, sponsored by MTV and Nike. You moron.
    I am still hoping to score an Xbox off that Sobe website - the wife has said that she won't let me PAY for one...ah but if I win one then it is OK. Enjoy your new systems everybody, I hope to join your ranks in the near future [​IMG]
    Jason

13. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Wow,this is something.considering I just ranted over in software on Shrek. But anyways...

I agree. Go and take a look at almost any other Usenet or videogame place that has a message board,and you will see that it is 20 times worse than HTF is,and hopefully ever will be.

I love this place. Not only can I talk about DVD's,but people who have things like I do, & have simliar interests,do as well. And that is really cool. I come here more than anywhere else while I surf. I don't want to lose what we have,because of only a few people.

Every system (well,maybe not the RCA Studio II) has had,over the years,something cool to offer.

Any true videogame fan would do well to keep an open mind when they go and think about posting, and/or replying.

It has been,& always will be,about the games.

Always................

Calvin

14. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I don't think there's been much fanboy rhetoric here - HTF is by far the most civil board I've ever seen - I can't stand the loads of crap in the other forums..

15. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

If anything, HTFers can most definitely be passionate in what it is they believe in (be it video game console or movie or the merits of one compression format vs. the other). However, unlike many, many, many other forums out there in the world, your typical member here can articulate their passionate beliefs without espousing nothing but rhetoric. Makes for some heated at times, but always interesting conversation.

This place has too much of a history for that to ever really change...and that my friends is a very good thing.

16. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I'm sorry, but my ColecoVision smokes all the other systems! All other systems suck! :p)

17. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

I wish I could afford all three systems. I'm a fanboy of all three =)

18. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Naw man, if you don't have an Xbox; you suck. [​IMG]
    I wonder, if the net was around in it's current form back when those of us "old guys" here were just getting into the Atari 2600, do you think we'd be arguing with other forum members that their Intellivisions and Odysee systems stink? [​IMG]
    I'll bet we would...

19. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

No, because all of us Commodore 64 owners would blow you AWAY! [​IMG]

20. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Hey, the C64 still rules! Jumpman is the greatest game Ever!

(Seriously, I think it would be a cool title to revisit...)

I agree that this forum tends to be better than others, which is the reason that I still come here. People are always going to try to justify their investment though, so if you just laid out $600 for an Xbox, then you're probably going to stick up for the green behemoth.