What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

I don't see it that way at all. Those "new characters", even if temporary, were VERY important to the development of Carmela's character (school counselor: she's now had her heart broken, experienced some romance as a "single woman", and she feels she'll always be "tainted" by being Tony's ex), Tony B's character (the Korean: we now know Tony B. is back in the mob instead of going straight), Tony S. (the old lady reminded him how his dad "used" him as an alibi to his mom - and Tony might, just might see the consequences of his actions with his family through these flashbacks, as well as understand better his mother's bitterness), and Christopher (Tim Daly's role showed Christopher completely compartmentalizing his life - friend to a fellow addict one minute, loan shark mobster the next when he owed him money - and it brought back Christopher's time in rehab and his relapse - which some people wanted to see ongoing, I think)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

This is precisely why season 4 played better on DVD IMO. I'm sure S5 will as well.

And speaking of Tarantino, I love his films, but his appearance on Alias was possibly the most unnecessarily over-the-top and unentertaining guest star spot I've ever seen. He stuck out like a sore thumb. He is not a good actor IMO.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
And speaking of Tarantino....

You should have seen Tarantino on "Amercian Idol" as a guest judge last week. One of the few guest judges that didn't fawn over every singer. He actually made the judging fun to watch, although he looked too excited to be there.

Heard that the show had to edited due to his colorful langauge (show was taped not live because of Bush's speech...er, I mean press conference last Tuesday ;-)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Relating back to Michael's post on various supporting actors. I noticed at IMDB that all references tying Paul Schulze (Fr. Phil Intintola) and The Sopranos together have been removed from that web site. I checked under The Sopranos in both Full Cast and Crew and also in Guest Appearances, and I looked under Paul's filmography & notable TV Guest Appearances, nothing. Does anyone know why? Is it just something weird that IMDB did or does the actor have a problem with his name being associated with The Sopranos? I'm sure it used to be on there at one time.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"The Sopranos uses themes and storylines that develop over a longer period and attempt to provide multi-show/season themes as well as some small closure after each 55 minute segment"

Which is why I loved DS9 and X-Files so much (at first before the show and mythology became lost and so convoluted that it turned into a big nothing)

I think they are getting the less exciting stuff out of the way. As the show draws to a close I expect things to heat up alot.

Todd.Martin

Stunt Coordinator
New characters? Who would have thunk it? After all we all go through life rarely meeting new people or having new experiences or problems.

Sounds like you would prefer it to be a mob action adventure starring somebody like steven seagal with a high body count and lots of one liners. That would be realistic. Right up there with Alias. And 24. This week Jack escapes from a mountain lion by using his gi joe kung fu grip.

Todd.Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe last weeks episode could have told the same story in a different way but bottom line the idea that tony's mom may have had attitude problems for a reason was very important. To this point she had just been portrayed as a ball breaker. The last episode showed us why that was to some extent. tony's dad probably deserved a lot of it.

it's evident that tony is drawn in many directions mentally. for a long time he has been pretending that his father was good and his mother was bad. he wants everything to be a clear decision. he's beginning to realize his life is lonely and complicated.

Daniel DeLawter

Stunt Coordinator
OK episode, i got what Chase was up to, but Good God -

Will the New York plot PLEASE heat up!?!

Every week's preview is a tease, by now, you'd think I'd learn to turn the TV off when the credits begin.

Steve B. is looking to side with Carmine Jr, you say? Yeah right, it'll probably be one small, insignificant scene during an hour focused on AJ and Carmella going to taxidermy class to conquer their fear of bears.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Todd,

I hope the people you meet in life are at least more interesting than the 4 new characters that have been introduced in the past 2 episodes. The school counselor Carmella had the affair with was quite possibly the most annoying character ever introduced on the show(with the exception of Melfi's shrink), the Kim character was a great new stereotype for the show(how original, a Korean guy with a laundry service), the old lady got way too much screen time for a single episode(did we really need the "Happy Birthday, Mr. President full rendition) and Tim Daly's storyline was a complete re-hash of what happened to Robert Patrick's character in season 2(a guy gets into the executive game and loses all his money). I mean, come on! How difficult is it to spend some time focusing on the New York/New Jersey storyline and why is Johnny Sac(one of the best characters on the show) used so sparingly?

Todd, I don't need to see a high body count every week to be satisfied with the show, but I would at least like to see some characters that are entertaining to watch. The last 2 episodes definitely have not delivered in that department. I know it sounds like I'm really trashing the show hard, but I actually thought this season started out pretty good. Through the first 5 episodes it looked like the show was on track for a great season, but it has completely derailed in the past 2 shows. It's gone back to the formula that made season 4 so difficult to watch. I hope they can do something in the final 6 episodes to make this season pay off. We shall see.

Todd.Martin

Stunt Coordinator
It'll get there. If 2 weeks ago the NY/NJ thing had heated up and we had seen 5-7 killings then what is left? Guess they'd have to introduce soem new characters. And thyen somebody would complain about that.

I think people tend to imagine the first couple seasons as being different- but if you go back and watch there was plenty of family type stuff or soft issues in those episodes as well.

Colin-H

Second Unit
Comparing 24 to The Sopranos is like comparing the Indiana Jones trilogy to The Godfather. If you're watching The Sopranos for a mob serial, you're watching the wrong show.

Do you remember how the show started -- the very first scene? From episode one minute zero, this show has been about Tony -- not the mob -- and why Tony thinks and acts the way he does. This episode is completely apropos.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Doesn't matter to me what the supposed intentions of the producers are so long as it makes for interesting TV. This last episode was more filler. Character development is important for a show like this but when it's the ONLY thing going on it gets dull quickly.

When Carmela said that nothing happens in Madame Bovary it immedicately jumped into my head, 'just like this episode'. There are far too many small plots being explored and not all of them to any resolution revelent to the story . I'm still waiting for the Russians to make their revenge but it seems that plot line has disappeared like so many others (disappointingly like a network drama). They need to work on the over-arcing story line, linking all these minor plots to some continuing story with a point. Right now it doesn't seem to.

Too much sightseeing, not enough focus on getting to the destination.

This show has a great cast with a lot of potential in it. Branching into all these minor, temporary, characters is artificial.

And to all those thinking I'm only in it for a "body count", need I remind them that The Sopranos homepage maintains a section with that very title? What is the point of making a series about the mafia if so little of it actually has to do with the mafia? Could just as well have made Tony legit.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The people that cry that season 4 was difficult to watch are looking for something different from this show. If you get the DVD sets for season 1-4. Watch each season 1 disk at a time until you finish the season and then move on, you'll see that the show fires on all cylinders when viewed in this manner. I think we love the Sopranos so much and the show enthralls so much that when that 50 min ticks down you want more, so there's a tendency when viewed weekly to say "That's It?" I want more !.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Again with the russians?

Look why can't anyone see that the Pine barrens Episode Directed by Steve buscemi was what it was, a oft center one shot show that was a bit of Comedy relief in a season that was going to wind down after some pretty serious stuff had happened. It's main point was to start Tony mistrusting Paulie and trusting Chrissy. The Russian was a lark a bit of comic timing that these too tough mob guys could'nt kill someone that obviously had a tougher life than them. The fact that he was able to drive and steal Paulie's Ride after being shot in the head was even more comical and ODD, but why does something have to come of it?

Knowing that the Sopranos is trying to be anything other than conventional TV i Realize that the rules of conventional storytelling goes out the Window. That the Scene may not have a resolution. That Melfi not telling Tony that she was raped and her rapist was left go, was done to further Melfi's Character than to tell a conventional Story where Tony would become the tool of her retribution. A Conventional Series would have her Tell, the Sopranos would ue it as an insight into melfi and her relationship with her Mob Patient and her own italian Heritage.

Conventional TV viewers want the Former and i'm glad the Sopranos delivers the latter.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Obviously there are some here that want their own personal version of The Sopranos, one that conforms to what they want and expect, not what David Chase and Co. present.

Since there undoubtely will be more episodes like the previous two, perhaps these fair weather "fans" should give up on The Sopranos, move on to their beloved network shows, and leave The Sopranos to those of us content with what Mr. Chase has done...create a compelling character driven drama revolving around two families with outstanding results.

Mr. Chase...don't change a thing.

aldamon

Second Unit
I enjoyed this episode.

It has been shown that the NYC crew does not respect the NJ crew, but a lack of respect does not equal a lack of understanding. The Sopranos could do some damage in an all-out war. I imagine it's going to take considerable prodding to get that storyline moving, IF it actually does.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

It's a show about people, not the mafia. The mafia is a setting. I can't believe people got this far into the show and still haven't figured this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks