What's new

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Brent-

Seriously, if you have decided the show is terrible/not for you, then obviously you don't need to post in the threads for it.

I seldom find myself posting in threads for say.. Big Brother, but I'm not going to wander into that thread just to trash it :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

You don't understand where I'm coming from. I used to be the biggest Sopranos fan on the planet and I've kept holding out hope that the show will get back to the brilliance it once displayed. However, I think it has gone completely downhill in the past two seasons and now the show is nowhere near as good as other TV dramas like 24, Alias, CSI, etc. If I wanted to see a show that only focused on family and didn't pay any attention to the mob, I'd watch 7th Heaven. It's ridiculous how characters like Silvio and Paulie have been reduced to wallpaper, other characters with great potential like Johnny Sac and Billy Batts(the dude from GoodFellas) don't get any screen time and the best character they've introduced in years(Feech) gets written out of the show after 4 episodes. Meanwhile, they keep introducing characters that add nothing to the show--the Korean guy and the school teacher last week, the old lady and the guy from Wings this week. What's next, a guest appearance from Cliff Claven next week? I had very high hopes for this season, but it's been a complete letdown so far and I don't think David Chase should even bother with a sixth season if this is the best he can do.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
The exchange at the beginning with Tony and Janice when they were sort of apologizing. They were talking about the lies(half truths) during the argument and Janice says "Roadies?"

You know what was creepier than Frida singing Happy Birthday? Artie Bucco's reactions to every detail when they were talking at the Bada Bing. This guy wants to be a wiseguy so bad he can taste it.

JoshEE

Agent
Does anyone know what the song playing at the end while they were in the Bing is? I've heard at least one Aphex Twin song on the Sopranos before and that's what it sounded like but i'm not sure.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
"24" is not even close to the same level as The Sopranos.

A horrible episode of the sopranos is still better than anything else on television.

This episode was great IMO. I loved the Junior moments and Chris.

Tony seeing his dog in the picture was just classic.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
My wife and I enjoy the HBO shows The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Carnival and Deadwood. The liberty to include violence, nudity, cursing, any subject matter, etc. combined with the lack of commercials, set these shows far apart from anything on regular TV. Perhaps we just don't have the critical skills of some, but we don't seem to mind if some episodes are a little slow or off the mark a little.

We tried watching the very first 24, but just couldn't abide the (not sure what you call it) editing technique with the boxes in the segues. Seems kind of corny to me. Have never watched Alias or CSI so can't comment.

Of course there's some good stuff out there. I just don't see comparing regular TV shows to anything on HBO, it's like apples and oranges.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Wow. I think you're missing the premise of the show. The first season was slower then this season, by a good leap, with many more episodes focused on panic attacks, birds, and getting mom to leave her home ;)

The whole premise of the show from it's get go was "if one family doesn't get you, the other one will.." with the goal being that his family (personal) is as treacherous as the family (mob).. and the show has done a great job conveying that.

Anyway, this season has been absolutely on a roll, and I thought this weeks episode was very good. Brought back that Christopher is teetering off the bandwagon, and the need of Tony to villify his mother. Which were central concepts of the first season :)

Eh, no show can suit everyone :)

But one thing can suit you: the HD broadcast on this is incredible ;)

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Guess most people missed all The Law & Order and Dick Wolf references?

Funny thing on last Wednesdays eposide call Everyone Loves Rainmondos.

Joseph Gannascoli (Vito Spatafore) and Ray Abruzzo (Little Carmine Lupertazzi) had major roles in it of course they played mob guys.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I'm not gonna say this episode sucked, while far from the best - I did like what the writers and Chase were trying to do with Tony's character. I just think all of this could have been a B- plot in a much greater episode. I liked the last 20 minutes alot, but it was a pretty slow episode. Ah well.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

I have to agree. One can only assume that the writers just aren't skilled enough to think of new, original wiseguy scenes/scenarios, so fall back on the real family melodrama for most of the hour.

However...

I really did enjoy this episode a lot. Much better than the previous two. Chris's line about Jon Favreau had me in stitches!

todd stone

Screenwriter
Brent,

you REALLY need to stop:

a: comparing Sopranos to a network TV show or ANY other T.V. show for that matter

b: just because YOU think The Sopranos is going downhill, does not mean everyone else shares the same feeling.

The world of Sopranos does not revolve around Brent.

Anyway, I thought this was a good episode on filling us all in on even further feelings Tony has for his parents. The creepy lady played her part well. She made you feel creepy right? The actress did her job along with the writers.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Not at all—I’m pretty sure that the other writer’s mentioned were real as well. To the Dick Wolf and L&O references the value the pawn shop owner placed on the Emmy cracked me up.

Maybe if it was an Oscar or something…but TV?

And chiming in on the quality of this show (and this season), I think this was a great episode. I don’t expect to change Brent’s mind (or anyone else’s), but one of the things that separates shows like The Sopranos from much of what else is on TV, is that the show, like the characters change and grow (while retaining their essential core). I can’t comment on the latest ‘24’, as I gave up on it halfway through the second season, when it became apparent that so much of what was happening had all been done before (e.g. the daughter’s continuing stupidity, getting her into yet one more ‘peril’ or the President not being able to figure out his wife’s agenda, no matter what happened)—it appeared to me that the writer’s often ran out of ideas). That plus the acting of the secondary characters became appallingly bad).

I would observe however for those who think that this episode was only family oriented, we were treated to Chris reverting completely to mob behavior when he loaned the money to the guy he met in rehab (after introducing someone he knew to have addiction problems (and who stated that he really was not much of a card player—he just liked the thrill) to a high stakes poker game.

We have Tony confronting the NY mob and getting his ‘share’, no doubt setting up further confrontations, one of which happened in the car chase.

For me, the intermixture of family stories of all types, combined with the sudden, almost inexplicable violence is griping drama of the highest order.

Count me in as another who saw Tony become increasingly aware of this father’s mistresses flaws—brilliant acting, as he gives us hints of his growing awareness—and in the end still magnifies her to his cronies, by inflating her relationship with JFK.

With all of the things set up in this particular episode—including both Tony and Junior’s awareness of their lack of family connection, I count this as a great episode.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One other thing, though.. I don't see how we can get to "Silvio & Paulie are wallpaper" we've had some eps that virtually revolved around them last season (Paulie talking to Johny Sack) and this season (Paulie getting back for the lawnmower incident) as well as Paulie & Christopher in NJ.

Not every episode can revolve around a few characters.. except for Tony :) I like the fact that each episode is something different and makes good use of the ensemble. It was good to see Hesch this week as well ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I'd have to check the credits, but I'm pretty sure it was Joseph Siravo, who previously played Tony's father in flashbacks in both seasons 1 ("Down Neck") and 3 ("Fortunate Son"). Probably his most memorable other role is Vinnie Taglialucci in Carlito's Way; he's the vengeful mob boss's son who pursues Carlito through the subway and into Grand Central Station.

A different actress played the young Livia for "In Camelot". Previously she'd been played by Laila Robbins, a fine stage actress whose most recent play (Frozen) is currently moving to Broadway. I didn't recognize the new actress playing the young Livia, but I agree she did a terrific job.

M.

Todd.Martin

Stunt Coordinator
If the Soparnos is giving you so much heartburn Brent, then don't watch. Tune into the mindless fluff drivel that is 24 or Alias. CSI is OK but it's starting to get predictable as well. Funny how things always work out and fit perfectly in that 1 hr. And what's next? CSI San Fran?

The Sopranos is about more than just the mob. It's about the lives of these people and how it all interconnects. Some episodes are better than others but they are all top notch. And that's part of the fun as well, not knowing if the next 2 minutes will be Tony driving like a madman or talking to his shrink. Paulie pulling some guy out of a tree or Junior feeling sorry for himself.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
todd stone,

Last time I checked, we were still entitled to freedom of speech around here. After all, it's a discussion group, not "The Sopranos feel good love fest". As a fan, if I think the show has gone downhill it's my right to say so just like it's your right to defend it. As for comparing it to a network show, where is the harm in that? In my opinion, The Sopranos has been surpassed by the shows on network TV that I mentioned and while you might not share that opinion I know plenty of people who do. Like I said before, I've been a huge fan of The Sopranos over the years and I would like nothing more than to see the show return to its brilliant form of the first two seasons. Sadly, I don't think it ever will as it has consistently gone downhill since season 3.

Todd Martin,

Like I said before, if I wanted to see a show that focused on the family and not the mob, I'd watch 7th Heaven. What's so difficult about writing some mob stuff into the show? I think that's why most people starting watching The Sopranos in the first place. Now, instead of Paulie, Silvio, Feech, Johnny Sac, etc. we get the school counselor, the Korean guy, the old lady and Tim Daly from Wings. In two weeks, we were introduced to four characters that will probably never be seen again. What's the point? It seems like the writers are stretching to fill time because they have run out of ideas and that's sad to see because in the past the show never suffered from that problem. Maybe they should bring in some new blood. Let Quentin Tarantino write and direct an episode to bring some excitement back to the show!

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
I think the 60 minute network weekly drama series format has lulled everyone into expecting closure each week. Viewers have grown to expect all issues and storylines to rapidly terminate sometime after the :50 commercial break and the end credits. In fact, when one these network series dares to pop us a "To Be Continued" screen at the end of a week, groans can be heard from most viewers.

The Sopranos uses themes and storylines that develop over a longer period and attempt to provide multi-show/season themes as well as some small closure after each 55 minute segment. A daunting task that requires patience, trust and a better evalaution viewpoint at the season end.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

No way. Today's Tarantino would only make it more unoriginal - not to mention all those Kung Fu scenes.

As for the season - It's not that great. They started something good in the first four episodes, then needed to fill a lot of space. I think had Chase and Co. only done 6 episodes this season, it would be a lot smoother. I don't think they need to cut out any of the stories - but definitely not elaborate on some of them as they have. Also Paulie has disappeared into the background. Silvio was never really in the foreground. And I'm still a little disappointed that this New York thing keeps taking so long to happen. Who knows, there is always next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks