What's new

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just waiting for the inevitable complaints:

[whining on]What a boring episode. Nothing happened. Reminds me of that stupid season 4. Why didn't they follow up with Carmela and that teacher?? Where was A.J? What happened to the Chinese guy that TonyB beat up?? I hate when they start storylines and they don't lead anywhere! Whaaa, whaa, whaa![/whining off]:D

BTW, I thought it was a very interesting episode. Love the further character development going on, learning more about Tony's father, Livia, the dog, the goomare.

Ya gotta love Christopher!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Completely boring episode!!!! Nothing going on here.... Bring back season's one and two!!!

HEHE ..... just kiding.... ;)

Decent show... The NY guys don't seem to respect the NJ Family... Somethings gonna heat up with that situation later in the season....

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Wow - this was not your father's Polly Bergen! To be honest, I didn't know it was her until the closing credits. Guess I remember the young starlet from the late show. Now I'll remember her for the creep-out performance of "Happy Birthday Mr. President" :)

What a wonderfully written episode that captured the insanity and insecurities that goes on with these people. I could almost feel the depth of loneliness that Junior felt.

Not an episode with a lot of funny lines, but my wife and I both laughed heartily at Tony walking up to Phil's wrecked car saying (paraphrasing) "Hey Mister, are you hurt" as if he didn't know who it was.

Steve

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Due to how BAD tonight's episode was, I think this week's Sopranos discussion should be cancelled. Seriously, that was a contender for worst episode ever. Do we really need a whole episode devoted to some old lady that used to bang Tony's dad and JFK? And did we really have to sit through "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" being sung right into the camera? The look on Tony's face summed how I was feeling watching that hideous display.......nauseous. I'm sure I'll be flamed by some people saying that this episode was great and that I just don't understand the deep character development. Well, if I wanted to see stuff like the steaming pile of crap that was served up in tonight's episode I'd watch a daytime soap. Shame on you, David Chase. You've taken the show that was once the best drama on television and turned it into a dull wasteland that mirrors all the other bad shows on TV.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
In regards to your complaint, Brent, I think this episode had a a deeper meaning, and I give kudos to the writer for it (and director steve buscemi)...that deeper meaning being the fact that Tony re-lived what his wife and kids are going thru; The "not being there b/c I'm with my coumar"

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Jeez, Brent...why don't you tell us how you really feel. :)

I thought it was a pretty boring episode, but I really liked it. Tony is definitely starting to feel some responsibility for the shit that he's put his family through do to his many mistresses, even if he's having a hard time admitting it to himself. I also loved the stuff w/Chris and Tim Daly; beating the shit out of him one minute and helping him get back into rehab another.

Also cracked up seeing Tony run Frank Vincent into that truck. Classic stuff. It certainly looks like the NY/NJ stuff is going to really heat up in the next few episodes.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Chuck,

That might be the case, but it still doesn't change my feeling that this was a terrible episode. It was really difficult to watch in my opinion. Not to get off topic, but I just got done watching 24(which I had taped while watching The Sopranos) and it was a pleasant reminder of how good a TV show can be. In my opinion, it has passed The Sopranos as the best drama on television and given a choice between the two I would now take 24 over it any day of the week. I used to think there couldn't be a show better than The Sopranos, but sadly that is no longer the case. :frowning:

Mohsen Sadeghi

Stunt Coordinator

Tino,

I have a feeling you would still call it a great episode if it only shows Tony picking his nose for one hour. :D

Tonight was not a bad episode. I liked that creepy old lady :D. But the last two episods gave the impression that some plot lines are dragged too long to fill out one full hour. Let's see what happens next week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tony's reaction to seeing his old dog, and finding out it wound up at his dad's mistress's place was LOL funny.

I'm sure many people have thought about seeing Tim Daly get his ass kicked, so for them, it was a great episode. Christopher's line about Faveau ripping his ideas off was also a good line.

I was so creeped out by the "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" performance. Eww...

The last restuarant dinner between Tony and his father's mistress was so uncomfortable as the bloom from the rose was fading fast.

Uncle Junior continues to slide. How many funerals can an old man take?

There's plenty of disrespecting going on with the NY/NJ crews, so trouble's really starting to brew.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Not a bad episode-I really think Tony is starting to think about getting back with Carm.

Could have done with less of the old goomah though. I understand why she was there, but as a character I found her totally uninteresting.

Best line: "Hey mister, are you hurt?"

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was a great episode. Tony is realizing more and more that he misses/needs Carm. When he reached out to the woman by offering her a cut of the track, he was willing to have a sit down with the NY family to get his "fair share" to give to her... and the way that turned out.. Tony may have some penance over that one.

Good to see them go back to the Christopher on drugs bit, and why he quit and concerns of him going back.. after the last episode, lots of people wondered if he had fallen off the wagon, this episode followed through on that pretty well.. he's having troubles, but maybe he can control them for now.

I enjoyed it a good deal ;)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
"Great" episode? Come on, you can't be serious. If this was great, the first two seasons can't be described with actual words because that's how superior they were to the junk we're getting now. I used to be a staunch defender of The Sopranos, but after episodes like we've had the past two weeks I'm definitely becoming less of a fan than I used to be. I know there is still hope for this season, but it's fading fast. Even the misleading preview for next week didn't look that great.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mohsen

I said it was an interesting episode, NOT a great one. And Tony picking his nose for an hour could be great depending on why he was picking it, how he was picking it, where in N.J. he was picking it, and how many of his enemies were watching him pick it!:D

I happen to think that The Sopranos is an excellent show and I am rarely disappointed. This season so far is as good as any of the previous ones.

BTW, nice to see some of my complaint predictions come through!;)

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Although the ep was not a classic, I do think that Chase gave us the ending to this series:

When Tony said that Jackie O thought it was over for awhile between JFK and her becuase of all of his flirtations, Chase kept the camera on Tony for that final shot. To me, he wanted us to compare Tony and Carmela to JFK and Jackie, and Carmela, who now thinks its over or is very close to it, will come back to Tony towards the end of the series, only to find Tony get wacked for the end of the show in Carms arms.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
24 was no innocent this season either, we had to sit thru some pretty stale "Kingpin" melodrama to finally get were we are right now, and while it's decent right now the setup with the Kingpin cartel and dragging Jack's wife's killer out again was the stuff of filler.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll watch last nights ep tonight on Tivo and I'll comment on it later. I've liked the flashback eps they've done in the past.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
*laugh* seriously, for all of those who bag on the show "terrible" who don't like the family eps (which I tend to prefer) fine.. I seriously doubt the show needs "staunch defenders" there are lots of us who really enjoy it as is :) I definitely won't be getting up and turning the channel to watch any of the network crap on TV :)

Stephen_M

Agent
I thought it was terrific but without getting into debate mode I want to tip my cap to 74 year old Polly Bergen who may have had the role of her life in this episode - what a terrific turn by an actress who gave it her all and triumphed.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This episode wasnt about some old lady.

It was deeper than that.It was about the husbands, wifes and mistresses - this has been a running subject of the show since it started which ended Tonys marriage.And as Chuck said - how their extra marital activities affected and in some cases ruined their home lives.

Tony has spent the past 4 seasons talking to Melfi about his affairs and his mother. This episode gave a deeper look into that.

It also made me think about some of Tonys mother resentment of her husband and son.Why she may have behaved the way she did.Remember all of his mothers "poor me" carrying on - "No one cares if I live or die" etc

I didnt like the last 2 episodes and I groaned at first and when I read the write up for the episode I was preparing to be disappointed and I wasnt.I thought last nights was better than the previous 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks