What's new

Sony's "Clean" versions are bad and they should feel bad (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
What about those films where for the original release the studio didn't want to get a 'G' or some other rating, so they throw in a few things to bump it up to something more reassuringly 'grown up'.

I've seen more than a few films where the violence or nudity or vulgarity is just really tacked on. I wouldn't necessarily say that the higher rated version automatically always represents a truer version of the director's intent.

Typically in these cases the Directors are forced to add in the bits, or have some input since it's a studio mandate. When they don't it's a case of the film being taken away. Look at "Scott PIlgrim Versus the World". Edgar Wright was mandated a PG-13, so any vulgar language was censored on purpose so as not to get an R, which let the one instance that was allowed under the PG-13 to hit harder and be an actual moment. (going by memory on this one.)

Films should be presented with the directors intent intact. What this "Clean Version" thing is, is someone deciding what is potentially offensive or not, with little regard to the directors/creators intent or vision and snipping it out.

I'm of the opinion that if people don't think a film is suitable for their kids, or themselves, they should be able to garner that knowledge off the posters for the most part and wait until the kid if old enough to watch the film or make their own choice.There are way too many movies out their to watch all of them, it's okay to have your kids miss a few that may be objectionable while having plenty of others for them to watch in it's place.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you buy a ticket, you have read the rating for the film and know full well what to expect in terms of content.

I avoid films that I think I would find objectional. "Clean" versions would not make them less objectionable to me.
That's my take on it too but to each their own I guess. If I don't want to see Pineapple Express due to the language, I can't imagine that I'm going to suddenly like it because they changed 'asshole' to 'casserole'. And that is seriously an example of what was changed in the TV edit of that movie (no doubt Rogen and company had fun finding the silliest changes just to make a mockery out of the edited version).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
*Puts lawyer hat on*
Let's cool the invective and floodgates arguments for a second and boil this down to intellectual property considerations for a second. I wrote a paper in law school about this issue and hope to summarize what's going on here. Beginning in the 2000s, there was a movement by a pair of tech companies called CleanFlicks and ClearPlay to market methods of "cleaning up" films for family consumption. The method of the two companies was substantially different; CleanFlicks would take a DVD or VHS copy of the film and edit out "objectionable" material, while ClearPlay marketed a DVD player that connected to the internet and would download a set of filters for whatever film was in the drive. CleanFlicks attempted to get around copyright infringement by requiring a person who wanted an edited copy of the film to own an unedited copy of the film as well. Both CleanFlicks and ClearPlay were sued, but ClearPlay was eventually removed from the suit by virtue of the Game Genie defence, codified in the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act; because the copy of the film was not physically altered, and playback was controlled by the owner of the physical copy of the film [ClearPlay actually had "levels" of editing within the filters and would simply mute profanity], it did not engage in any copyright infringement. The courts ruled against CleanFlicks, and it was shut down in 2006.

Fast forward to 2014: a new company, VidAngel, fires up an online rental service offering "clean" versions of films for $20, which can be sold back to VidAngel at a reduced price at the expiry of the viewing period. Their version is more of a hybrid of the two approaches, in that VidAngel produces the filters, but the person "buying" the film applies them to his or her preference. VidAngel is currently under injunction, as the Hollywood studios have commenced a lawsuit against VidAngel for copyright infringement, and VidAngel claims it has a defence under the Family Home Movie Act, which is part of the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act, which permits users to filter 14 categories of objectionable material at home, thus codifying the ClearPlay model. VidAngel's tech is a little more "gray" that ClearPlay's, by virtue of being an Internet-based digital model, with no physical copy of the film in question being involved.

The way I see it, Sony's move is one to render VidAngel obsolete. I seriously doubt that the "floodgates" will open and everything will suddenly become "family-friendly"; the MPAA isn't about to let that happen, and neither are the studios. Given the recent successes of studios in overcoming the stigma associated with R-rated films in some categories, the studios would see this as a huge step backwards. The provision of "family-friendly" versions is simply Sony seeing a cottage industry, and trying to exploit it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
That's my take on it too but to each their own I guess. If I don't want to see Pineapple Express due to the language, I can't imagine that I'm going to suddenly like it because they changed 'asshole' to 'casserole'. And that is seriously an example of what was changed in the TV edit of that movie (no doubt Rogen and company had fun finding the silliest changes just to make a mockery out of the edited version).

The Big Lebowski TV edit is awesome. "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps..."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the biggest fear may be that "cleaned up" films will sell well enough that more films will be made that way to begin with. But you shouldn't fear too much--I'm sure you'll still be able to buy unrated versions on home video.
---------------
I don't think there's much danger in films being watered down at the production level. Many studios and producers seem to go out of their way to avoid PG ratings (which seems to be lumped with G as a "kiddie" rating by teens and tweens). You don't see too many PG films released these days.

Plus, we've just recently seen blockbuster successes with R-rated comic films "Deadpool" and "Logan", both of which easily could have been mandated by the studio to be PG-13. If anything, this success is likely to result in more R-rated films. They'll rake it in at the box office, then clean options can be released to make additional money on video.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not to mention the explosion of premium and basic cable offerings that equal or exceed what's acceptable in a theatrical "R" rating. There's stuff in shows like Game Of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Westworld, etc., that would have to be trimmed to even get an "R" if they were movies.

There's very clearly an audience for this kind of material. They're not going away. Cable companies are courting them, and in turn, that audience is driving subscription numbers of cable networks that carry those types of programs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just logged into my Vudu and noticed that for movies where I already owned a digital copy and there's now a "clean" version available, Vudu has added the "clean" version as a bonus feature to my existing copies. It appears the unedited theatrical version plays by default, but that the clean version can be selected from under the "bonus features" sub-menu.

While I was there, I noticed the Adam Sandler movie "Big Daddy" is now available in a clean version. I kinda thought that was hilarious, because the artwork used on the clean version is still the shot of Sandler and the kid urinating on the side of a building - you'd think that entire scene would have to be removed from a clean version, so it's funny to see it's still the cover image.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm not sure if a Seth Rogan film would make sense for this, but I generally support it. I wish I could get a nudity free version of the original Clash of the Titans to show my elementary age children. As it is, I think some of the images in that film would be overly distracting.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would also note that Criterion's upcoming BD release of Hopscotch, which primarily earned its R rating for language, will include the broadcast TV audio track as a bonus feature. I stand by my position that the studios, knowing that VidAngel could very well succeed at trial, are setting this sort of thing up in an effort to render VidAngel and any service like it redundant.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What about cases where the original cut is itself the product of censorship or some form of corporate suppression?

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Here's one example:

As a Streisand fan, I love her comedy THE OWL & THE PUSSYCAT, which was rated R when it came out in movie theaters originally. There's one scene where Streisand tells off a bunch of guys on the street -- "F^&$ off." Since probably the 1990s, there has not been a home video version available with that phrase in it. You have to go back to the VHS tape. The scene makes no sense now -- they cut from her walking up the car of guys, then BOOM! she's running away. Why??? Makes no sense.

So .... they made the movie 'bad language-free' (even though there are LOTS of 'adult themes' -- Streisand's character is a prostitute!) ... and it is impossible to get a copy on DVD with the offensive line.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not sure if a Seth Rogan film would make sense for this, but I generally support it. I wish I could get a nudity free version of the original Clash of the Titans to show my elementary age children. As it is, I think some of the images in that film would be overly distracting.

Funny you mention that, it's actually an issue MY parents had in 1981 when I saw it at age 11. They explained to me that it would be a part of the movie and that I should be prepared for it and they would discuss any questions I had about it afterwards... 11 year olds today man, can't imagine what they have access to!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Funny you mention that, it's actually an issue MY parents had in 1981 when I saw it at age 11. They explained to me that it would be a part of the movie and that I should be prepared for it and they would discuss any questions I had about it afterwards... 11 year olds today man, can't imagine what they have access to!

Ditto. I was watching the Thriller video on MTV when it came out in 1982 (I was about 3 years old), Jaws on HBO at the age of 4, and Godfather shortly thereafter. All with adults who felt those things were appropriate for me to watch as long as I didn't repeat the curses or become violent. Because I didn't repeat what I saw, I was given more freedom as the years went on to judge for myself what I could/could not do.

My father says he thought I would be terrified of Star Wars...until I explained to him, in detail, how they created the effects on the way to the movie.

Maybe that's the key? Knowing this stuff isn't real and knowing how it's created? Once you know that, a reasonable person should be able to figure out its not reality...?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
11 year olds today man, can't imagine what they have access to!

That's the real story here. If you can't have a conversation with your kid about nudity or language in a mainstream film, you're going to have real problems when they are out with their pals playing around on tube sites with their cell phones...

There were film my parents didn't want me watching, mostly horror (and that depended more on what Dad wanted to watch more than anything). I don't recall any talks before or after films like Clash of the Titans. Any potential objectionable material was covered under the blanket "TV Shows and Movies are make believe" lesson I was taught soon after seeing my first movie.

There really is no need to have the studios doing the parenting with "Clean Versions".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks