What's new

Sony's "Clean" versions are bad and they should feel bad (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So they are not producing new versions of these films, they are taking versions that have been or will be created in the normal course of business for TV and airlines. They are just making them available outside of these existing distribution venues.

If those versions weren't already created for TV and the airlines, and I wish they weren't, I think this would be a big deal. It might be possible to argue there will be less pressure on the movie creators to pander to the the widest possible audience because they can have their raunchy versions and the clean version too (allusion to cake and eating intentional).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As Johnny said, these versions are already being produced for other uses and it sounds like they're just making them available to a wider audience, so I don't see any issue. It seems no different than making an unrated version available, which has been done for years. If the "clean" version were the only version available, then it would be a problem.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
It's a form of censorship that requires money and time for Sony to put in, when it would be better served funding new projects instead.
You feel this way because you're not interested in the product. Sony seems to feel that it will open a larger market to them, and I think that's a reasonable point of view.

---------------

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
James Cameron did something similar when he offered a "kid-friendly" soundtrack for the disc of AVATAR. Even Criterion did the same thing to a degree with a PG soundtrack for HOPSCOTCH. To be honest, I'm surprised this hadn't happened sooner.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, the article appears to say this will only apply to digital versions.

Wait, I thought streaming was superior. Now people have to worry about whether their favorite films are being replaced by "clean" versions"?

My obsolete old discs aren't going to magically change to the clean versions, though.

But seriously, just another way to make money, this time off of the idiots who think a breast is worse than a decapitation than that the word "poopy" will make hair grow from their palms. Also for the "THINK OF TEH CHILDRUN!" people who want everything safe for 5-year-olds because that's roughly their level of intelligence.

And it's not like these aren't the versions that are on TV all the time, so the damage has already been done. This way, they get to make money off of what's already been bastardized.

And speaking of bastardization, I wish that hack Rogen cared so much about not changing things when he made Preacher unrecognizable and unwatchable. Maybe a censored version of that would be more like the book. Or watchable.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't think anyone here supports censorship.

Also they are not being replaced. It's in addition to what's already available. Just another option for those that want it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't know anything in particular, but I wonder if this is part of the studio fight against services like VidAngel. They're going to court this week to determine if what they're doing is legal. If Sony releases a "clean" version of their films, they pocket those dollars as well in lieu of VidAngel doing so. It's an ancillary revenue stream, which isn't a terrible idea.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know anything in particular, but I wonder if this is part of the studio fight against services like VidAngel. They're going to court this week to determine if what they're doing is legal. If Sony releases a "clean" version of their films, they pocket those dollars as well in lieu of VidAngel doing so. It's an ancillary revenue stream, which isn't a terrible idea.

If nothing else, they can point and say "they're stealing revenue from us, we offer a clean version".

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
What I can't figure out is why there is a "clean version" of Goosebumps. Wasn't that already a children's movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks