What's new

Sony XBR 70" Grand Wega- yes or no (1 Viewer)

Randy Cox

Auditioning
I'm looking to purchace my first big screen and have a budget of 10k. Before I pull the trigger, I thought I would ask for some opinions on the 70" Sony, or get some recommendations on others. I would like to go big, I have a large great room with a 12-16' veiwing distance.
Any info would be appreciated.
Randy

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that is a very nice set. It sports every input you could want (3 firewire!, 1 DVI, etc), plus good viewing angle and good brightness. No doubt a cream-of-the-crop set. Did you see the offer with a purchase of this set by 03/31/2004?
20 FREE DVDs / SuperAudio CDs by Mail with Purchase of any Sony XBR TV and an ES Integrated Digital AV Component
If I had the budget, I would seriously consider this one. Have you taken a personal look at one yet?
Sony is offering free premium shipping on this too!

If big is what you want, with a large budget, have you also considered front projection?

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
With that budget, I would look at some high end Front Projection. You could get an even bigger screen with FP. If you have a way to control the light in the room, I would definitely look at some good FP along side with the Sony and then decide which technology suits you best.

Randy Cox

Auditioning
Yes, initially I was going to do a front projection system. But the more my wife and I talked, we realized we didn't want something that one dimensional. Our room is super bright during the day, which lasts to 8:30 pm in the summer and knew it wouldn't be enjoyable until dark. I know this will also take away from a rear projection, but from what I have seen, not as bad. So here I am trying to decide on a box. I recently had a salesman trying to sell me on the Mitsu Diamond line 65 or 70. I have seen one Sony XBR 70 in person and it was gorgeous. But the room was very dark and it was surrounded by sub $3500.00 crts. I was also told that the Sony had stopped production due to a problem with the lamps, but now have fixed them and will be shipping again in April. I have a total budget of 20k to remodel my home system which currenly consists of a Hitathi Tube tv, Yamaha components, Polk speakers, and a Pioneer DVD recorder w/ Tivo. The only thing I want to keep is the DVD recorder. I'm looking at Sunfire or the new Yamaha '9' for a receiver and some mid range B&W for speakers. Just not sure on the TV. Also the new Pioneer Elite plasmas are looking good, just not the price.

Actually, if you saw the Sony in a very dark room, and you liked it, and you must avoid front projection, that's probably your set.

For your budget, you could buy a Sharp 12000 DLP projector, with plenty left over for accessories, and have a screen at least 30" bigger and a picture with, at minimum, better blacks and shadow detail. And one that would stand up to ambient light pretty well, as I understand it.

In my opinion, you could beat even the Sharp in PQ, and for less money, with a front projection CRT, but that requires a certain emotional commitment (to tearing a big-ass hole in your ceiling and mounting a 150-250lb behemoth right above your head, for instance), as well as good light control, which you don't have.

Personally, I've made that commitment, and I have good light control, so I've chosen my path, but to each his own.

As to the Sony itself, as I said, if you liked it in the dark, you'll definitely like it in the light--personally, I found its black level and detail insufficient for a set costing that much dough (and the relative weak areas of LCDs as compared to CRTs, like black level, tend to be exacerbated in dark viewing conditions), but it has great punch in the lighter colors and looks cool as hell.

But if it's going to be in a well lit room, and it has to be a RPTV, and size and lack of bulk matter, the XBR is your set. For pure PQ in a big-screen RPTV, I'd go with a 73" Mits and have it calibrated by a true ace. But that's a bulky set. Looks fine sitting there turned off, but not as cool as the XBR.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
as a dealer, my advice is stay away, FAR FAR away.

we have one on display, and it has NEVER looked good, and its had 3 light engines replaced in 3 months, and 2 new bulbs in 3 months. it has never worked for more than 3 weeks straight. could be a lemon, but nothing original is still in the unit, its almost completely swapped out.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
I own a 60" XBR. I picked it up about 2 months ago. There is a greenish tint to the thing when not being fed a signal, but once the signal is piped in, it looks fabulous. My experience has been nothing short of legendary. The things looks sweet. It does have the LCD screen artifact going on, but that's what you have to live with, as the negatives of the others (burn-in, convergence, etc.) outweighed that item. Oh, to the day when the perfect technology exists and has it all. As is, no one technology encompasses it all-- as I'm sure you know. They all have their drawbacks- it's just picking the one that bothers you least.

Of course, if I had 10k to spend on a new TV, I would probably go front projection, but in a room with windows, that's always a problem. As is, the brightness of the XBR pops like nobody's business. I actually have it scaled back-- but this is certainly a TV for bright rooms.

If you have any questions about my experience thus far, feel free to drop me a line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks