What's new

Sony Wega 36" UPGRADE, not replacement (1 Viewer)

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I've been investigating an upgrade to my Sony Wega. I've read thru service manuals from my model, last year's model, and now this year's xbr-450. I have a KV-36FV15. I know I can just replace all of the boards in my set with the boards from the xbr-450 and calibrate it. However, Sony direct has WAY out of line pricing. They want $1500 total for all of the boards in the new xbr-450. I know I can go with couple boards, but replacing all would be better than a couple. The xbr-450 is much more complicated than the older models, as some of the circuitry looks to be mixed from board to board instead of more isolated on my model. Maybe I missed the boat on this though, as I have been VERY distracted lately and haven't been able to put more than about 30 minutes at a time into my investigations. I have not had time yet to check at the Sony outlet stores either, but I suspect that they might not be able to help much.
Does anybody know if there is a better priced location to get Sony electronics or am I stuck making them if I want to save some cash.
Also, since this it turning out to be more $ than I had hoped (under $500 would be nice), and I'm REALLY satisfied with the vertical squeze anyway, I'm not so sure I want to spend much $. SO, this weekend I'll be trying to connect the electronics from my 21" Sony PC monitor to the deflection yoke and guns of the 36" Wega in the hopes of running a 1280x1024 progressive signal onto 36" of beauty. Anyone (except Princeton, who now manufactures a 36" TV/PC monitor capable of all this) done anything like this before me? Comments? Suggestions? Straight jacket?
Thanks in advance!!
John

GaryM

Agent
John,
I'm afraid your plan is just not practical. You see, there are in fact more differences than you are aware of between your analog standard definition WEGA and an HD-capable set. Although the chassis are similar and would be identical after swapping in the different boards, the external heatsinks for the sweep amps and the deflection yoke on the CRT neck are also different parts - because an analog TV's sweep frequency is 15.75Khz and an HD-capable set is 31.5Khz and up. Additionally it would not surprise me if there were different CRTs used - different stripe pitches and aperture grille wire spacing in the case of a Trinitron tube. Power supply capacities may also be different.
I think you would be dollars ahead by selling your analog set and buying an HD model. As for cross-connecting monitors and TV's, just DO NOT ATTEMPT IT AT ALL. The deflection yoke windings are the loads for the Horizontal and Vertical sweep amps. The amp and load must be matched and have the same power handling capability, or they will smoke. Remember that same sweep frequency difference I mentioned above? The impedance of the deflection yoke is a function of the frequency, and the two yokes are designed and constructed for different amplifier "bandwidths".
The fact that you would consider attempting this indicates you have more courage than knowledge about the circuitry involved. Now understand that the practice of Engineering demands that both the TV and the monitor be designed with just enough margin in the components to ensure reliable operation within the device design limits, and no more. Your proposed changes are well outside the limits for either device and WILL NOT WORK and you may well INJURE OR KILL YOURSELF in the attempt. So DON'T TRY.
Gary
[Edited last by GaryM on August 17, 2001 at 06:08 PM]

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Gary (and for doing so BEFORE the weekend).
That's what I was affraid of, but the only dumb question is one that's not asked. Actually, I'm very happy with the set as is. I was most interested in doing this just to see if it could be done.
I took electronics back in school, and still work with small stuff here and there, but 10 years has shown a HUGE change in technology. Hell, look at the last 2 years!!
I know from the service manuals that I could upgrade to the XBR-250 easilly, by changing 3 boards, but the benefit is negligable since it's still not HD. The XBR-400 change looked to be simple as well, but financially not an option.
You're right, this year's XBR-450 is another story indeed. In addition to replacing all of the electronics at quite a big cost, the tube part number does have a revision difference, so I was already aware of that problem.
As for the monitor swap, the vertical squeze works well, so the "tube" itself definitely looked to have potential. I'm also REALLY against swapping the yokes, for more than 1 reason, so I appreciate your insight on that also.
I figured it was worth asking. I'll heed your advice and continue to be happy watching what's still a "great set".
Thanks again!!
John
------------------

bently

Grip
They want $1500 total for all of the boards in the new xbr-450.
not unless you really enjoy soldering & putting things together.

i just go and buy a new set!

gee...i only paid $1899 + tax for my sony 36" xbr450...

so for $400 more..you get a brand new xbr.

bently

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks