What's new

CRT or Rear Projection - Your opinion please? (1 Viewer)

Christopher K

Auditioning
Greetings!

We've decided to take the HD plunge and upgrade our system. Right now it's fairly old, with all video being hooked up with S-Video cables. The current system is built around an old 36-inch Toshiba 4:3 SD CRT (Model CF36G40) and a JVC RX-7000V A/V Receiver. The DVD player is currently a "Wal-Mart" special (Memorex brand that was picked up when my Panasonic died).

I've ordered HD service from the cable company and they're going to be coming with a Scientfic Atlanta 8300HD DVR soon. My plan is thus:

The new receiver will be a Pioneer VSX-72TXV A/V Receiver with HDMI switching. To replace the old Memorex DVD player, I'm looking at a Sony DVP-NS70H progressive DVD player. I plan on hooking the digital output from the HD Cable Box and the DVD player to the Receiver via HDMI cables, and then feed the HDMI signal in to the television.

Here's my quandary, though. I don't know what television to get! I've narrowed it down to a Sony 42" Grand WEGA 3LCD Rear Projection HDTV (Model KDF-E42A10) and a Sony 34" Widescreen XBR HDTV (Model KD-34XBR960N). Right now, I have the big bulky 36-inch CRT sitting there, so size/weight/depth is not an issue. Audio options on either set is not an issue either, as I'm putting the sound out through my A/V's speakers. I couldn't care less about the memory stick reader.

The price between the two sets is practically the same (only $100.00 more for the rear projection set).

Any opinions or guidance would be appreciated!

Christopher K

Auditioning

I didn't, until now.

I've been eyeballing the Sony 51" CRT Projection HDTV (Model KDP-51WS655). Seems pretty nice and the buzz seems pretty good about it. I was wondering if anybody would happen to have any particular opinions of this model.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have the Sony KP-57WS520 which is very similar. I had to have the power supply replaced early on (was seeing annoying faint waves in picture). No problems otherwise - have had the set for a year now. I had it ISF'd and tweaked recently and the picture is just outstanding. Actually, the picture is pretty good out of the box.

Can't imagine what HD or Blu-ray would look like. :)

berk@g

Auditioning
are you kidding!? ...maybe you were being sarcastic.

anyway, RP CRT would be the absolute worst choice ever. i love the direct-view crt's...SO hard to come close to, especially if you are comparing a rp lcd. however, John is right- screen size makes a huge difference. i'd go with a 36" crt, if the size isn't a huge deal for you.

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator
Hi ChrisK,

Where I come from, my humble set of an 4:3 60hz JVC 34 inch is just fine. I have not been turned on by the pictures from the rptvs whether crt or dlp, so my vote goes to the good old tube, but if since we are talking size here(and given the moolah), I would go for a dlp projection on a 16:9 100in(92 inch would be fine too) screen, none of that flat panel stuff , thou'I agree it would be a cool thing to show off, but that is just me, I guess.

Size does matter after all.

Regards.
David SGT

Jeff shark

Grip
I have a 42" Sony rear projection LCD, almost 3 years old now.
No issues yet & looks better then my friend's TV's, one has a 42" Samsung DLP & the other has a 43 or 44" LG RPLCD.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Many here, including a few ISF certified calibrators, consider RP-CRT the best picture possible. Blacker blacks, truer colors and no shadow mask that hinders resolution like direct views. IMHO, for the money, he should look very closely at RP-CRT, if he has the space.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
You can get a 51" to 57" RP CRT for $1,200-$1,500--about one-half of the cost of other technologies for similar screen size. I have a 57" Toshiba RP CRT, which is three years old and have never seen a better picture with Plasma or DLP. If you have the room, this is the best way to go for now. When it needs to be replaced in 5 years or so, other technologies may have caught up to RP CRT in picture quality and lower prices.

Be sure that whatever you get has over-the-air built-in high definition tuner unless you already have a et-top box of some kind. Over-the-air is the best HD and doesn't cost anything.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I have enjoyed my 53" Panny RPTV for two years now and can not find a better picture quality anywhere on the new technology televisions. I can't stand looking at a gray black.

If size and depth is not an issue for you, CRT RPTV is the best bang for your buck hands down right now.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, best bang for buck??? I have to give the nod to front projection....

$900 gets you 3 chip LCD, and a free 76" pull down screen. I'm a CRT Projection lover, and now I am a convert. Blacks are fine and dandy.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just bought a Sony KDSR-50XBR1 before Christmas, and it looks absolutely spectacular. Black blacks, great colours, great contrast-this thing has it all (except for more than 2 component inputs...:))

It all depends on what screen size you want though. I moved up to the 50" from a 32" JVC, and I've noticed that the TV is only a couple inches taller, but a lot wider. This means that a 34" HDTV might look a lot smaller than your old TV, even though it's wider.

Christopher K

Auditioning
Well, the 34-incher is right out then. I don't know if I could tolerate the thought of going from 36-inches to 34-inches (even if it is 16:9)!

So it seems now the decision is between the Sony 51" CRT Projection HDTV (Model KDP-51WS655)and the Sony 42" Grand WEGA 3LCD Rear Projection HDTV (Model KDF-E42A10). Both are essentially the same price.

Size and bulk isn't a issue: it's going to be replacing a big, bulky 36-inch CRT and I don't plan on moving it anytime soon. But I have heard that CRT-RP's aren't very bright, and this has me worried.

That being said, I'm leaning towards the CRT-RP.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I am in the same boat in terms of deciding on upgrading.
Currently I have a 32" Standard CRT from Toshiba I bought four years ago which has a great picture with plenty of detail and good blacks. I am considering upgrading to HD with either 36 inch Sony HDTV monitor crt (not 16X9 widescreen) or a 34 inch Sony Widescreen HDTV CRT. My fear is that for watching films shot in 1.33, the widescreen tv is only going to put that frame into the middle of the 34 inch screen... actually smaller than my current set. I know for the NON-wide screen monitor that HDTV is letterboxed into the middle of the screen, like any other letterboxed movie. But... on the NON-wide screen hdtv... what happens to 1.33 on dvd and HDTV ? Does it fill the full screen or is it a square within the letterbox frame within the larger picture? It looks like on the standard 36" monitor I may actually get almost the same sized image for HDTV(albeit letterboxed) as I do on the 34" widescreen monitor. Any insights guys? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks