What's new

Sony Wega 36" 16:9 squeeze too much?? (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
I just got my 36" Wega today...and I'm confused. There is an obvious difference in picture quality when the squeeze is utilized. However, I'm not talking about the clarity. The picture seems to be squeezed too much such that some faces look smooshed. It makes the black bands a little thicker than they should be. My DVD player is set to 16x9 and the tv as well. As far as i know, every thing is set up right. Is this the way it's supposed to look?

What happens when you get DVD's that are anamorphically enhanced yet have an aspect ratio that is less than 1.85:1?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If the machine and the set are both set up properly, as you indicate, look for objects in a film that you know are circular when viewed head on. If you're getting an ellipse instead, then the set is "over squeezing." This has been reported before about WEGAs. The problem is correctable from within the service menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks