Sony tv flicker problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Gordy, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Andrew_Gordy

Andrew_Gordy Extra

Hey guys
    I'm just about to upgrade my old sony tv for a new sony set, so I've been doing some research around the forum and I noticed some of you mentioned this problem. I was wondering if you could point to me to some sites that talk bout this problem in more detail, or better yet tell me which sets are vulnerable and which are safe. Thanks!
    OH yeah, forgot to mention I was thinking of upgrading to the Sony KP57WV700 Widescreen Projection TV

2. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Andrew, check Jim Christian's thread for some quick info, but then subscribe to his Yahoo Sony forum. They have a WEALTH of info on just about anything related to Sont RPTV's.

3. Gary_Sc

Gary_Sc Agent

I hate to advertise other sites but www.hometheaterspot.com has some great info on this problem. The owner spoke with Sony during CES and received some great info on the problem. According to what Sony told him the issue was with a small portion of the CRT's used. Sony says the have found the problem and made the necessary changes in their manufacturing to make sure it doesn't occur. I would just make sure you get a new version of the set (check the manufacture date).

FYI...I have the Sony KP-46WT500 and it is an awesome set. I am amazed what the Sony DRC is able to do with a SD DirecTV signal. The "perfect Vision" has a review or the set you are looking at and they really liked it.

4. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

If you own a Sony RPTV purchased over the last year, I'd suggest contacting them immediately about this flicker problem. I was advised this morning that ALL Sony KP57HW40's are affected by the "bad CRTs" and that they will ALL need to have all three CRTs replaced.

5. David_Giles

David_Giles Stunt Coordinator

It's my understanding that even the Sony KP57WV700 is affected by the flicker problem,so be careful about picking that one up also.

6. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Yes, my Sony KP57WV700 has recently started flickering.

7. Andrew_Gordy

Andrew_Gordy Extra

Unfortunately, thats the same info I've been gathering from the other forums too, it seems that no sony rptv except for maybe the grand wega is safe. So I decided to ditch the sony and get the hitachi twx series instead. So far I'm quite pleased [​IMG]