What's new

Sony SA-WM40: What's the big deal? (1 Viewer)

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I have a friend with a Sony SA-WM40. It kind of looks to me like a TV with no screen, just a grille. It is nice and compact for a 12" sub, but it does not go loud and low and when it's turned up I can hear its amplifier limiting the output so that $10 woofer doesn't fry. My 1st-gen BPD1001 positively OWNS that thing in terms of actual low output at normal listening volumes. It has much longer excursion, which I find to be a lot better for reaching down low, but it does seem to be a bit flabby in the below-20 range at higher volumes (but its Fs is 18.2 Hz so a lot of its troubles only happen very near the driver's resonance.) The only time I have been able to bottom out the 1001 on 150-watts is with a sinewave, which really gets the amplifier heated up and never really shows up much in movies anyway.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Rory
Just what is your point?
Being that you are a DIYer, you should understand the comprimises used by mass marketed consumer subs, especialy in the lower dollar class.
There is no question that your 10" Blue Print driver is in a different class compared to the 10-dollar 12" driver in the Sony as you put it.
Dollar for dollar a properly designed and built DIY sub will always win out over the mass market unit. I belive you clearly understand that already.
I don't own a Sony-40, but at it price point, around 160.00 smackers, it serves many very well.
When you take into consideration that you take home a finished encloser, on board amplifier, and driver that has been touted here to be the low dollar price to performance winner, many would consider that to be a good deal...
Maybe your point was that you where expecting more than you heard once you finally listend to the Sony-40 and was less than impressed....
To be EXPECTED I would think when comparing what your comparing.
To make it more interesting & fair, see what you can "build" thats powered and complete for 160.00 bucks. Yes it still could be done (DIY), but things begin to get limited in your choices in a hurry for your componets to build this completly finished powered sub. Now don't they. :)
If I've miss-understood your point, which I still am not sure what it is, please straighten me out here...
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks