Considering purchasing the Velodyne CHT-12 12" Subwoofer, opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt_Smi, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Right now I have a 3 year old 12” Sony SA-WM40 and while I can’t really complain for the price I paid. I am sick of how boomy and sloppy this thing gets with the volume turned up fairly high when watching a movie and the same when listening to music at louder volume levels. And I am sick of having to adjust the level on the sub every time I know a big explosion is coming just so it won’t sound loose. I considered trying the “ploy fill mod” but I figure that it might just be time for a new sub. I really dont want to spend more than $400 on a sub. So I found this Velodyne sub for $335 shipped at etronics.com and it seems like a great deal! I have read reviews for it on audioreview.com as well as circuitcity.com and they have all been good. I also looked at the new Sony SA-WX700, it has 2 10” subs and a 250 watt amp and costs $235 shipped from etronics. I have also read some pretty good things about this sub as well. But I feel that the Velodyne is a much higher quality sub and will outperform the Sony in every way. I want clean tight bass that you can feel and does not get sloppy and boomy at higher volume levels like my current Sony when listening to movies or music. I am going to Circuit City to listen to both of them this weekend to see which one sounds better. But I would like some options on this Velodyne sub, and would love to hear what owners of the sub think about it. Thanks!

Link to Velodyne sub
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=4203

Link to Sony sub
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=4197

2. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

The Velodyne is definitely the better of the two. All Velodyne's about is subwoofers and they make some of the best at all price points. I've had the original CT-120 in my system for about 4 years now. That's significant to me as it's the oldest piece in my system, lasting through many upgrades in all other areas. For the price it's a hard sub to beat.

I'm currently looking for a bit more extension (down below 20Hz) and will be upgrading to an SVS. I'll be selling my Velodyne (9/10 condition even after all these years) on either AudioGon or Ebay. PM me if you're interested.

Bill

3. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I've had my CHT-12 for about a year and I'm still very happy with it. A lot of folks at this forum prefer SVS subs to Velodyne, but at the time I could not afford an SVS. I listen to more music than movies (70/30) and the CHT-12 is still tight and hits deeper than when I bought it. Definitely audition one! But be forewarned, the sub is large and comes with (useless) small rubber screw-on feet and NO carpet spikes. For medium to thick carpet the feet are worthless. I used a Dremel and make my own carpet spikes.

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Well I went to circuit city today to give the Velodyne sub a listen. And honestly I was not THAT impressed. Yes you could crank the volume much louder than with my Sony before it started to get boomy and sloppy sounding. But it was not quite as tight as I was expecting, and still got a bit boomy. And I was also not very impressed with the materials used on the driver. I would think a $400 sub would have a rubber surround rather than foam, and the driver was also not very stiff, maybe this does not matter? Maybe it would sound better in my room, which is smaller than the CC sound room. I am thinking of buying the sub from CC, getting a chance to listen to it in my own home with movies I am used to. And then returning it and if I like it I will buy it from etronics. Either that or I will just try the poly-fill mod on my Sony and see how I like that. And in the meantime be looking for other subs that can be had for under $400 (recomendations welcome!)

5. Kha:T

Kha:T Agent

Matt,

Go to your nearest CompUSA and pick up the HSU STF-2 sub!!! It's right in your price range at $349.99. I just bought one and I've found out that the STF-2 does live up to all the positive comments and reviews. I gotta warn you, though: it looks ugly. If you don't care about looks but sonic performance, the STF-2 won't disappoint you. I mean, where else can you find a sub that can go as low as 25Hz *cleanly* for less than $500-$600?

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Thanks for the recomendation, that HSU sub sounds like a great deal. The only problem is that it is sold out at all the CompUSA's around me. Maybe they still have a floor model that I can listen to however. I think I will make a new thread to get some comments on this sub!