What's new

Sony Recieve 3/2.1? (1 Viewer)

Keith S

Grip
I've had my reciever for quite some time, has done the job well. It's a Sony STR-DE895 until just a couple days ago it was only used in stereo. Well I finally got my surround speakers and coax cable...so now I'm in Dolby Digital. Huge difference! But...one I don't know how to figure out and optimize all the settings....but I'm confused on why my screen will say "Dolby Digital 3/2.1" instead of something like "Dolby Digital 5.1" is there a difference?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
As stated previously 3/2.1 means the same thing as 5.1. 3/2.1 is just the way Sony chooses to display it on their recievers. However, 3/2.1 must be the new way because my older Sonys displays 3/2 without the .1 to designate the 5.1 dolby digital sound format.

Keith S

Grip
Weird...but thanks! I'm relieved that something isn't wrong. Now if I can just figure out how to mess with the settings to optimize all of it....hmm....

FeisalK

Screenwriter
the Avia disc will play in any DVD player, and the SPL meter is something you hold in your hand. They will both survive upgrades to your system, and you'll need to use them whenever something in your system changes (new speaker, TV, receiver etc)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
3.1 and 4.1 are ambiguous. (theoretically, a sound mixer can ditch the center for one or more discrete surround channels) Some programs don't use the LFE channel. So, the extended format (fronts/rear.subwoofer). There is a colon syntax as well that differentiates matrixed surround--DD EX, DTS ES-- (3/2:3.1) from true discrete rear surround formats--such as dts es discrete-- (3/3.1). I suppose the extra info is useful in diagnosing any problems, although one should just relax and enjoy the sound.

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
3/2, 3/2L is the AC-3 (Dolby Digital)designation for 5.0 or 5.1 streams (L meaning LFE or Subwoofer). (Yes there are some 5.0 DVD's out there: Disney does it occasionally). Just like 2/0 is for Stereo (or mono for that matter), 4/0 for LCRS (4 ch.), etc. Why this needs to be used on consumer gear is beyond me. Stereo, Pro Logic, 5.1 and Dolby Digital/DTS should suffice.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I've seen DVD-Audio discs with 3/2.0 and 2/2.0 mixes-- all in glorious 48KHz/20bit....

As for DVD-Video discs, it's a more accurate reflection of the original mix. I mean, why add a boom track if there wasn't one in the first place. Besides, the extraneous channels eat up the bit budget.

I'm guessing that owners of DD/ProLogic receivers would much prefer a 3/1.0 track to a 2/0.0 soundtrack. Dolby Surround does have some flaws.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
hey keith, make sure your in the advanced settings setup.
press menu until it says setup, then using the menu arrow keys, scroll all the way left until it says either "normal set", or "easy set" you want it to be in normal set. When I first got my receiver, it was in easy set, which means you dont have subwoofer control, or large/small control, it took me months to figure out that it was in easy set

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks