What's new

Sony KDFE50A10 50" HDTV ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well it finally looks like I will have a Sony KDFE50A10 50" HDTV paid off this Friday (10/14). Was going to originally by the Samsung 1080p HDTV but because of the lip sync issue and becuase the tv did not accept 1080p input. I decided to get the Sony tv instead and this was after noticing that the Samsung DLP had a weird look to scence with smoke or fog like in Pirates Of The Carabean. This did not appear on a front projection Sony so I ended up checking out the Sony LCD.

The tv was originally placed on layaway on 9/16 so I am finally going to get it paid off so I can take it home. I am wondering however if buying the Sony is a big mistake? I am not sure I can trust a LCD tv and I am wondering if I should have paid the extra money for the 1080p set anyway? Another reason for downgrading to the Sony was keeping myself poor to pay off the 1080p tv. And one of the reasons for getting a 1080p set was because I intend to purchase a blu-ray hd player.

Does anyone here have the Sony KDFE50A10 50" HDTV and has there been any problems or issues I should know about?

Should I be buying a different TV other than the Sony?

And was there a setting on the DLP's to correct for that funky look on smokey or foggy scenes?

I have till Friday or Monday at the latest to change to a different tv if there is a good reason to not get the Sony. Otherwise I will be paying it off and taking it home and hopefully its not a probelm child like my Sony DVP-S9000 ES dvd player. I am defeinantly going to get the 5 year extended warrenty so if this Sony is a lemon and has lots of problems it will not put me in the poor house. Besides I am hoping to move to a bigger place where I can have front projection and a 120" screen :D

Please give me your input

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think you will be very very pleased with that display. The Sony has a lot going for it even without 10800p.....

John S

Senior HTF Member
No SDE on those newer Sony LCD RP's
Nice out of the box accurate color and grey scale levels
Really saaawwweeeet scaler on board
Nice Noise reduction for the really bad NTSC feeds

Just off the top of my head... :)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Comparing existing RPTVs like Samsung DLPs, JVC DILAs and the Sony LCDs, the latter seem to have the best picture...that is judging from store displays. If I was buying one, the Sony gets my money.
Dave, everyone gets this so called "buyer's remorse". Just start enjoying the set and not start looking for flaws. Watch movies, TV shows and if possible some HD on it. Then invite friends over so they can drool over it!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks for the input Eric much appreciated. I work in the delivery department and it kinda sucks seeing 1080p sets in other peoples houses, especially when money is tight. I really wanted to get one but I did not want to wait another 2 months to have a tv that did not accept 1080p input. And for once I wanted something really nice not just something average to enjoy movies on. But you are right if this is what I am going to get after I pick it up this friday I should set it up and start watching movies on it and just enjoy. For once I can actually watch dvd's in 480p off my new Denon dvd player and even off my Sony DVP-S9000 ES dvd player.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I've had my Sony 50a10 for about three weeks, and I love it. Best TV purchase I've ever made.

StevenSalazar

Auditioning
I was thinking about getting the 42" version of that same set. Then I red some things about the red push and recalled how impressed I was by the reds of that set while I was watching it. When I asked the salesperson to place a Samsung DLP next to it you could notice a sharper picture on the sony and what seemed to better color reproduction. Maybe because the reds stood out so much. Now I am looking at a JVC with DiLA.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was checking out Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Samsung and Hitachi and I think I even checked out Panasonic and JVC. If I would have been able to afford a 1080p set and the tv actually accepted a 1080p input I would have most likely got a Mitsubishi or Samsung. How ever the new Sony technology also looked promising as well. I am going to get a extended warrenty because I dont trust LCD and at least with the warrenty it will not cost me if it has problems. And I will get a cleaning and bulb replacement as well so I cant go wrong.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just picked up the Sony after work and will be taking it out of the box and hooking it up. So over the weekend I will see how well its going to look. Will have to find a place that carries the setup dvd to fine tune it. Would like to thank everyone for there input.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I have the 42. Its'a fantastic television once properly tweaked up. Excellent picture in 480p for DVD's. I've had zero problems so far.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So far so good I have not tweeted the picture yet. I just hooked it up and watched it,was to tired after a long day at work :laugh:

Dark scense look great but light scences could use some work. I might wait to get the home theater dvd so I can properly tweek the picture instead of just using my eyes.

Erik_AND

Auditioning
Im comparing the KDFE50a10 to the Samsung HLR5067W. They both seem to be good 50'' displays.Anybody have any thoughts about the two?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It depends on what you like better Erik. I prefered the picture on the Samsung. IMHO the Samsung has the better picture between the two. The DLP Samsung does not suffer from visible pixels or screen door effect. At the time I was on a budget and I just wanted a decent hdtv to replace my old analog 31" tv. I would go for the Samsung.

If you are looking for a 1080p set I would wait for true 1080p tvs to be available. Blu-ray will output 1080p and will upconvert dvd to 1080p. I all depends on what you are looking for in a HDTV.

Erik_AND

Auditioning
I actually just went out and bought the 50'' Wega, oh well. I saw the Samsung at BB and it looked a little darker than the LCD, but maybe not. I have one question about the Sony and its DRC (Digital Reality Creation). It says it does this: "upgrades standard 480i signals to 480p or 960i, providing a near-high-definition picture from standard video signals". So digital cable will be upgraded to 480p or 960i?

One other question, it doesnt have a DVI input, is that a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks