What's new

First Impressions Samsung Neo Q90N OLED 4K Display (1 Viewer)

Samsungjim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Walker
I am a long time Samsung person. Every display purchased in the past I've just loved the quality.

That is until my purchase 2 weeks ago. So I replaced my 65" 4K, Curved-Screen Samsung with a 75" Neo OLED 4K Q90N model. I just couldn't let go of the bucks for the 8K right now.

My first impressions are: Normal 1080P content is brilliant just like my 65" display. But, as far as watching 4K content off DTV, well not so much. Unlike my 65" display the new 75" display when watching 4K is less than brilliant and at times while watching I say to myself, why is the picture so damn dark. No brilliance, the color doesn't leap out at you like my 65". In 4K, you know how sometimes the scenes look like they're in 3D they're so detailed?

I get that on occasion with the new display but not like my 65" display.

So, I wonder, is there a setting I am missing that I need to adjust to get this things to play? I've got it setting on Dynamic Screen with Brightness at 50 (max), I've tried all levels of Contrast, nothing changes. I have check the LED Clarity feature with it off and on and with all the settings under it. I've change screen temperature, WARM/COOL, etc. No improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what I should try other than reconnect the 65" display? It's already done...sold.

I want to get this new one kicking butt.

Jim

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm far from a display expert, so hopefully others will chime in. First, this display appears not to be an OLED, but a QLED, which is a completely different thing. Having said that, I have two less expensive QLEDs from Vizio, and I am profoundly happy with them. From your description of wanting colors to "leap out at you" I wonder if you are expecting something that they aren't intended to provide. Colors should have greater gamut and finer gradation, but not necessarily more extreme saturation. Also, it does sound like there needs to be some calibration done, probably especially with HDR sources.

Samsungjim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Walker
Thank you for your reply.

My expectations would be that the new display would equal or perhaps exceed that which I had on my 5 year old Samsung. Also, I would expect that 4K brilliance would equal or exceed standard 1080P content. What I am seeing thus far doesn't seem to prove that out. I am hoping someone with this or similar Samsung model knows of a setting I am just overlooking.

Floyd68

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I am looking to answer the same question but no one seems to be talking about it.
I am having troubles with the color.
My RED is really hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks