What's new

Sony DVP-S360 is junk!! (1 Viewer)

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I purchased said unit as a boxing day special X-mas 2000 and fortunately got extended warranty at the same. I say fortunately because it is going in for it's 3rd visit to the repair shop for the same issue (13:00 error). As the warranty expires this Dec I am moving up the corporate food chain, via e-mail and phone conversations I am negotiating for a completely new model, I'm hoping to throw in a few bucks and get an ES model. Doing a search the first time it crashed I learned that this unit has problems but has anybody here had 3 crashes? I'll keep you posted as to how things turn out .:thumbsdown:

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The 360 and 560 players were know to have these problems. I used to have this problem with my 560 as it would freeze and skip back a couple chapters on its own. Never really had the 13:00 problem except a couple times, but after ejecting the disc and putting it back in again it worked fine. For some reason it would skip around when I played audio cd's on it. When I got my CD changer, it didn't do it anymore. Could just be coincidence. They also have trouble reading badly scratched discs.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I agree on the scratched disc comment. It almost always occurs with rental or used copies. Most of my pristine copies play just fine but I do rent quite a bit and it is annoying. My friend got his of the same stack the same day as I did and his has performed flawlessly. I guess I got one of the lemons.;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If you look at audioreview.com (I think), you'll find posts from hundreds of unhappy S360 owners afflicted with the 13:00 problem. Mine got it and died, permanently. Even the recalibrating trick wouldn't revive it.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Yeah I read those forums when I took it in the first time. I made it quite clear that an exchange for a better model is my main objctive.;) The frind I mentioned in the first post has connections fairly high up as he was a Store manager for sveral years so hopfully I'll get this sorted out this time.

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
funny this should get posted today as i just gave up on mine last night.damn thing can no longer go through an entire movie without glitches,freezes,jumps......
so am in the market for a new player as of today,unfortunatly the one i have my eye on was sold out.panny rp82.the other model in the same price range/features was the sony 715. think i will go with the panny this time round.

Steve_AA

Agent
I guess my S360 is one of the lucky ones. Bought it July 2000 and haven't had one glitch, skip or the 13:00 problem. I saw the same problem comments over at that site last fall and have been waiting for my unit to fail so I could have an excuse to upgrade. ;) But, the damn thing just keeps chuggin' along playing everything I put into it just fine. I should be so lucky with my next player.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I'm with steve on this one, got mine in July 2000 and worked fine, I guess a firmware upgrade that the units in later 2000 had a bug...

The only little problems I had are isolated incidents, nothing to worry about. Once after pressing Pause and then a few seconds later Stop, instead of displaying the jacket picture in the background, the still image just got into "Anamorphic Mode" but as soon as I pressed Play, it resumed fine. And another one, yesterday, when I rewind for a few seconds then press play again it took a few seconds (2 or 3 at most) before it resumed... That is the only time it did that so I'm not worried... It's been a fine player for the 2 and a half years it served me.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
What is the 13:00 problem? My tray won't open anyomore and I'm going to go to battle with Future Shop this weekend and then probably onto Sony.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
13:00 shows up in the display when it won't read a disc. That's all I can really tell ya.
I had forgotten about this thread, well I didn't get a replacement they fixed my unit yet again, so I calmly told them that I have purchased a lot of product from them (Many of the salesmen remark as such when they bring up my info on the computer), and the next time I have to bring it in that will be the last time they see me. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks