What's new

Help with bricked Sony STR-ZA3000ES ES (1 Viewer)

300ZXNA

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad Schobert
Hello all, this is my first post, and I am posting in hope that I have not thrown $800 down a well.

Decided last fall that I wanted to set up a home theater system. Started by buying a Sony STR-ZA3000ES ES off of Amazon as 'Certified Refurbished' on Christmas. The receiver arrived, I plugged it in, the screen said it needed an update, but I figured that would be easy to do. So I shelved the unit until I could purchase the rest of the system.

Fast forward to last Friday. Bought the TV I was wanting (75" Samsung 7100 series) and went to hook up the A/V receiver. Since it needed an update, I went to Sony's esupport page and followed the instructions for updating the unit. The unit took about 20 minutes to run the progress bar to 100%, at which point the screen said 'Final Sound Processing' . . . after which it then said 'Update failed' and tried to update again. I let it do this 4-5x over a few hours. Same thing every time. Update failed, and it refuses to work. I've tried unplugging it, pushed every button on the front display and remote, and nothing makes it stop saying 'update failed'.

So essentially, Amazon sold me a bricked unit (and I'm not the only one, there is one other review for this unit and the other guy was sent a unit with a smashed in case). The real bummer? The 90 day Amazon warranty expired on April 8th. Last Friday was April 10th. So of couse, Amazon is denying any responsibility and refuses to return/refund the item.

I'm thus stuck with it. Any ideas on how to fix this? I really have no clue and am hoping that someone familiar with this piece of equipment can offer some insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks