Sony DVP-NS900V or Panny RP-91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomK, Apr 17, 2002.

1. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

It appears that these two units are about the same except the Sony is SACD and the Panny is DVD-A. As far as being a DVD player are they equal? Anything else I should know?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I know of someone who auditioned the Sony's video quality and found it wanting. The RP91 dishes up a stunning image, free of the chroma bug and quite rich in depth and detail.

/Jeff

3. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

I'll be watching this list because I am looking for a better build quality DVD/CD player. I have only seen the Sony NS900V and am impressed with its solidity and picture. I was able to shake it and bang it while playing a DVD with no effect on the picture. It has two lasers and 12bit scan rate for video.

Right now I am not impressed with Panasonic because of poor quality in their cheaper players (RP56 specifically). Nobody locally has the RP91 to play with.

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Both players are good on the video side, Tom, but they will be a little different. The Sony will appear a little softer which can be an advantage with some DVDs compared the the Panasonic, which will appear sharper.
    The Panasonic's video settings are much more configurable, so you can tweak a little more depending on the quality of the transfer. It also has the ability to scale non-anamorphic DVDs which can be a big plus if you have some in your collection.
    I should disclose that I own the RP-91 and I, and alot of other members here, have been quite pleased with it despite a few minor faults. Check here for some more in depth information about it in the Hardware Archives.