What's new

Your Thoughts on Sony DVP-NS900V (1 Viewer)

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a new DVD player and have narrowed down my choices (I think) to the Panasonic RP 91 and the Sony 900 (not the ES model). I have heard some great things about the Panny but have not been able to find to much info on the Sony. The new issue of Perfect Vision gives both of them a great rating which of course makes it even harder to decide. I know the Sony is plagued with the Chroma Bug, but how bad is it??? Can anybody using the Sony tell me what they think, any issues besides the C.B?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I can't comment on the video quality of the 'NS900V, but if you search this site, you will find that many people here are impressed with the video quality of the 'RP91.

Something to consider is DVD-Audio vs. SACD. Are these formats at all important to you? I have bought into both formats and prefer SACD, but I still like DVD-Audio. You wouldn't have to spend much to buy into both formats. If I were you, I would buy the 'RP91 over the 'NS900V. First of all, the picture quality of the 'RP91 is revered here as I said (no chroma bug). Secondly, you should be able to get the 'RP91 from J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180; authorized dealer) for a bit less than the 'NS900V. The 'RP91 will take care of DVD-Audio. Then for $200 or less, you could buy the Sony SCD-CE775 five-disc SACD/CD changer. It plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. J&R might make you a nice deal if you buy both at the same time. OneCall (1-800-340-4770; also authorized) is another dealer to consider for good prices.

The idea here is that to get DVD-Audio, you have to buy a DVD-Video player. So, since the 'RP91 is perfectly capable in that role, I would get it. Then you can get an audio-only component for playback of SACDs and CDs. If you buy the 'NS900V and want DVD-Audio later on, you will end up with two DVD players. That's not necessarily bad, but I feel the 'RP91/'CE775 combo makes more sense. Of course, this combo also gives you a carousel changer for convenience. Finally, since the 'RP91 is a bit cheaper than the 'NS900V, the cost of the 'RP91 and 'CE775 combined probably isn't much more than that of the 'NS900V alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks