What's new

Sony DVD Problems (1 Viewer)

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DVPC660 5-disc DVD changer that is 1-1/2 years old. Purchased in 12/00.

Has anyone heard of read problems with this model? It sure seems that if the DVD or CD surface is not perfectly clean, with no lint, dust, or smudges at all, then playback either skips or fails altogether. We have three or four CD's that just won't play because they skip or hangup, no matter how much I clean the CD. I know that it could be a damaged CD, but the frequency of this problem makes me think otherwise. It doesn't happen all the time, but much more than it should for a unit of this price (like 40% to 50% of the time).

I have also heard that newer models may have a different type of read laser (red vs. green?) that may help correct this. Just wondering if there is any history before I pursue this with the store or Sony.

You can probably tell I am not an expert, so if anyone can help, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

chella

Stunt Coordinator
Happened a lot with my old (circa, 12/00) Sony DVD player too. I did exactly what is suggested above and no problem for 3 months since. May be this need to be done every once in a while.

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks very much for the help. I have completed the calibration process and will keep an eye on it.

I know this is going to be stupid question, but is there a way to tell if a DVD is single layer or dual layer without loading it into my player? Some type of marking on the keep case, etc?

TomCW

Second Unit
Chris,
I believe, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) silver are single layer, gold are dual layer.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks