What's new

Sony DA3ES Question (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
To cut to the chase...I'll be getting a new center channel in the coming weeks, and have decided to use my current center as a rear center. I was looking in the Sony manual, and they don't say anything about straight 6.1...they always put everything in terms of 7.1, or having 2 back surrounds. I understand that most people do it this way, but I'm not going for a great 6.1 system, I'm just trying to put my old center to use. My question is, if I'm just using one speaker for the rear...will everything work properly?

Thx for the help!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It will work if you have an extra amp sitting around, since there is no power for the rear channel(s). It has preamp outputs for two rear center speakers, so technically, it won't really work with a single speaker either.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well...that's not exactly true...there is a Rear Surround amped channel on the reciever. There are 6 amps on the reciever, not five.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Yes, it will work.

Make sure to set up the speakers properly under the setup menu. Specifically, set "SURR BACK SP" to small (or large) instead of "off", and set "SURR BACK L/R" to "no". Make sure also to set the distance and level appropriately.

If you have the same manual that I am looking at right now, then you will see the hookup diagram for 6.1 on page 16, and the hookups for 7.1 (which as noted requires an external amplifier since the receiver has only 6 channels of amplificaiton) on page 17.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, I setup my friend's 3ES, and he said it only had outputs (I didn't look). I may have to smack him. I even had the manual sitting right here, and didn't bother to look for the info.

I thought it was kind of wierd when he said "No rear channel power" because it decodes 6ch material, would seem counter productive to have 6ch decoding and no rear center power on-board, especially when the 5ES does. Perhaps he said this because he wanted 7.1, not 6.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks