What's new

Blue light special!! (1 Viewer)

GAVIN

Auditioning
I have a question in regards to the Multi Channel features on my Sony STR-DA5ES receiver and DVP-NC650C DVD/SACD changer. The blue light for the Multi Channel indicator on DVD works when I have my DVD or SACD playing in the DVD but the light does not come for the DA5ES receiver. I once had them both on at the same time and I don't know what happened to cause them not to be on at the same time anymore. Shouldn't they both be on at the same time when playing a Multi Channel disc such a SACD or DTS 5.1 DVD? I can recall that I had this working when I had an optical cable hooked up but was told that I should be running a coaxial cable instead. The coaxial cable would provide a much better connection and sound as opposed to the optical cable. What should I do to get this feature to work again?

Also, shouldn't there be an on screen menu for my television? I saw this on an STR-DA3ES receiver in the store but mine doesn't come on. How can I invoke this for my setup. I have an older 32 Sony television but should be connecting my 36-XBR450 in two weeks when my new entertainment center arrives.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Gavin-

I believe the Blue Light only comes on with DIGITAL source..Not Analog.

The On screen menu only works with the regular Video Cable (Composite)..not S-Video or Component cables.

Cheers
Angelo

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
My on screen works with s-video, that's all that is hooked up to it. If ( I may be wrong) you use analog out on dvd player to receiver in for SACD the multichannel blue light should not come on, but if you use coax or optical and have your dvd player menu set right, me thinks you should see receiver blue light on but not dvd player blue light(I don't have a Sony dvd player).
Hope I have helped.:b

GAVIN

Auditioning
Last night I moved some things around to see what would happen. I have only two inputs on my current 32 Sony TV for the audio and three connections for the video portion. I have to use Video 1 and Video 3 for my setup. The receiver has an output for monitor that allows for the on screen feature to work. I have a brand new 36-XBR450 in the box sitting at my house but I will not be able to hook it up until my new entertainment center arrives. I did hook up the monitor connection to my set and the on screen menu does work. I just couldn't get a picture when I did this. I can wait a short while and I find that it will help to see what it is that I am doing when making changes.

I do have a coaxial cable hooked up from my receiver to my DVD but the blue light only come on the DVD, not the receiver. The receiver does indicate that it is decoding in 3/2 coaxial configuration but no light. I saw in the store locally here that both lights were on at the same time. I was thinking that that both should have been on at the same time. I may purchase another optical cable to see if it makes a difference.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
It has to be in either your receiver setup or your dvd menu. Check and recheck both of these.

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
I assume you are using digital coax in the digital coax input on the DA5ES (?). You will only get multi-channel decoding, DD and DTS, with digital coax or optical. I don't beleive that coax is that much better than optical, but someone may correct me on this. Keep working on it, as if you don't see that blue light, then you are not realizing the full potential of your receiver with DD or DTS sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks