What's wrong with the Sony STR-DE985?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Sep 24, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

2. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Yamaha and DENON are 2 ,among others ,who build in amp quality and reliability first....many would argue that you buy rcvrs at this price level by shopping from a "feature" checklist and they don't worry about the sound quality differances between them (they might argue that these differances are minimal at best)...I do not agree with this mentality.....amps and processors can be made with good parts and an eye towards sound quality or they can be made to "look good in pictures" and have a nice "shelf talker/croy tag"..............

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Well, since that was my response, I suppose I should follow up. Since you asked, all I am trying to do is, not save you moeny, but help you get more for that same money, which can be done, especially if you were going to spend $499 on this particular receiver.

Let me also just say that buying everything from one manufacturer gives you very little, if any, benefit. Get over the looks, and get something worth your time and effort.

As a former owner of a few Sony DE line receivers (likely never again), and doing a little auditioning in the same price range, I eventually switched to Marantz, after comparing receivers from all of the manufacturers I mentioned. Sony's sound processing in the DE line has gotten a little better in the last 2 years, but their amp sections still don't quite cut the mustard when compared to other receivers in the $500 range.

Actually I found the DA2ES for under $500 already at two different, reputable online merchants (I don't know if they are authorized dealers or not). So technically you can afford ES...

Some others MSRP:
    Marantz SR4200 - $399
    Marantz SR5200 - $549
    Harman Kardon AVR225 - $499
    Denon AVR 1803 - $499

Most of these can be found for less online, and all will be better than the 985.

4. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

For something that's clearly much, much better, I think my budget can be stretched a bit, especially if it's a good deal, too. Now I've seen some good things about the SA4ES around here, but I'll ask directly: Is it worth ~$750? I've found allegedly factory-sealed units on eBay for around that price. Can it be found any cheaper than that? I've looked at the SA3ES at Crutchfield, but in a side-by-side comparison, it looks like the same-priced SA2ES may actually be better. The 2ES has slightly higher THD, but also is listed as being DPL2, DD-EX, and DTS-ES compatible, whereas the 3ES does not list these as features. Is the 2ES a newer model?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 2ES is newer than the 3ES (2ES with in the last month, 3ES has been around 6+ months), thus the slight differences that seem odd because the lower model has more features. The higher disortion number, to me, would suggest a slightly weaker amp in the 2ES. The 3ES's amp is very potent and is a good all around receiver.

The 3ES does do DD EX, not sure about DTS ES. It does not have PL-II.

I would say the 4ES is worth $750. If you don't want to spend quite that much, I would strongly suggest you audition the Marantz 5200 and the H/K 225. Both have less actual power than the 3ES, but both are very good performers for the price. I have not heard the 1803.

6. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Try www.sammans.com or onecall.com. I was quoted $650 at sammans and I think saw someone say they got $660 shipped at onecall.
    Matthew

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    look at the H/K 520. you should be able to get some spectacular deals on this unit, since it's gonna be replaced in the near future. i think one member here got it for ~$550 shipped from Onecall.com. it's a steal for that price!
    and yes, STAY AWAY from Sony DE- model receivers. i've taken some of them apart before and their amp section was *beyond* pathetic. overall electronics seemed somewhat decent, but the amp section was utterly pathetic. you'll be MUCH happier with a Marantz, Denon, H/K, Yamaha, etc.
    as for the remote thing, just about all mid-fi receivers come with learning remotes, so you can consolidate them all into the receiver's remote. if not, get a Pronto [​IMG]

8. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

9. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I currently have a DE835. (100x5) I know it doesn't have quite the features of the DE9xx series- it is pretty close. NOW- I have UPGRADED to the H/K 125 at 45x5. It was a huge upgrade. More power and much cleaner, more dynamic sound.
    I have 2 HT systems:
    1) DE835 on JBL S-center w/ S38 mains
    2) HK125 on NSP1 package
    #2 sounds MUCH better than #1 just due to the receiver alone! You would think the S-series would outperform the small NSP1 speakers easily- NOT on the SONY.
    The HK REALLY sounded good on the S-Series speakers for those 2 days. [​IMG]
    This is just a silly example- I know. But the Sony DE's are really not worth the money even at bargain prices. Just My opinions...

10. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,
    I would highly recommend you to get the Sony STR-DA4ES. Last week I purchased this wonderful ES receiver from One Call for $640 + $20 (FedEx Express Saver Shipping) and received it in only 2 days! First I went to the cheapest place online which right now is http://www.sammans.com (Local Authorized Sony Dealer in New Jersey)and got a price quote over the phone of $640 + $25 UPS GROUND shipping. After that I called OneCall.com(Authorized Sony Internet Dealer)and they asked me what the best price I have found was and I gave them the Samman's price. They checked to see if they were an authorized dealer and said they could match the $640 and beat the shipping price even with FedEx Express Saver shipping(Instead of 5 days from Samman's was only 2 days from One Call for $5 less). I also got 5 months Same As Cash on the OneCall credit card. I feel I got a wonderful deal considering it carries a retail of $1,000. I would definitely recommend doing the same thing I did to get that awesome price and to spend the $160 more out of your budget to have this underpriced ES line receiver. It is a solid and very well built unit that sounds absolutely amazing in home theater and music. I upgraded from a Sony STR-DE935(110X5 Dirty Hissy Watts compared to ES line) and will never look back. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

For the record, I just called Sammans, and the price indeed is $640, but shipping is now only $20, according to the person I spoke with. [​IMG]

12. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I HAD a Sony STRD-1015 back in the day, JUNK! Needless to say, it lasted me 90 days. SUCKED BIG TIME. Moved to an HK AVR75, better. Moved to a Sony DA777ES, WOW! The NEW Sony ES Receivers are LOADED. Especially, the $640 DA4ES. It's one sweet piece. The DA7 seems WAY overpriced compared to the 4. I wouldn't trade my 777 for a DA7, if that tells you anything about ES. Cadillac versus a 3 cylinder Geo Metro with NO AIR. Same company, different products. PULL THE TRIGGER![​IMG]

13. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

I paid $950.00 for my 4ES from the Good Guy's.I am willing to pay the extra dollars from a local dealer.Maybe I will by my SACD player fro an online ES dealer though.