What's new

Semi-advanced bass management question (1 Viewer)

Nestor_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I recently purchased a Sony DA3ES Receiver to mate with my Paradigm Studio 60s and CC, PSB Alpha surrounds and back surround, and SVS 20-39PC. One of the primary reasons I bought this receiver is its great bass management (very flexible crossovers, etc). I've been working through all the options today, and I have a question:

1. What eactly is the LFE High Cut filter? I've got the crossover for the fronts at 60 Hz and the center and the surrounds at 80 Hz. What should my High Cut be set to, and why?

Thanks

Nestor

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Is the unit for the High Cut Filter specifed in dB?

If so, that's the slope of the crossover, ie 12dB, 24dB, 36dB --- the amount of attenuation for each frequency doubling (an octave) that occurs.

Can you tell us the units of the High Cut Filter?

Regards,

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Another person asked about this before and the way they described it, it sounded like a subwoofer peak limit set to prevent distortion in your sub.

Patrick

Nestor_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
It's definitely measured in Hz, adjustable from 40-200 Hz in 10 Hz increments. I'm thinking maybe everything under the specified frequency goes to the sub, with everything higher than the crossover but lower than the high cut going to both the sub and the mains. Everything under the crossover goes to the sub only. That's sort of what it sounds like when I adjust it, but I'm not sure. If this is the case, wouldn't I just want to set the crossover and the High cut at the same frequency, this way there would be no overlap and thus less chance of peaks between, say, 60-80 Hz.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

Nestor

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen anybody define a high-cut filter. I believe it is the point where the LFE channel response is killed. I don't think it's used to redirect between subwoofer and mains.

Try 120Hz, that's the standard for an LFE channel. Go up from there to taste.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks