What's new

Sony CEO Reaffirms Commitment to SACD (1 Viewer)

John Milton

Second Unit

That's great, but what titles that people actually want. I love the SACD hybrids I have but I only have 4 or 5 IIRC. When are Sony and the other supporting studios going to start releasing SACDs day and date with the redbook CD? When are there going to be more popular current albums released on SACD? Where's the Radiohead SACDs? Heck I'd buy lots of current altrock albums on SACD if they existed. Not to mention all the big pop albums I'd like on SACD. So Sony is committed to the format, when are there going to be better titles available? Let's face it, I doubt anyone here at this forum has gotten more than one of their favorite 100 albums on SACD yet. :frowning:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Sony's commited to SACD, yet has only released a handful of titles on SACD in the last year or so.

Hate to see what they'd do if there weren't commited to it.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Actually, we looked at the title counts and Sony has issued several dozen worldwide in 2003 and 2004 - around 250 over the past few years in total. They are such a big company that overseas albums (particularly active in Japan) cross several different labels they own.

I agree that we should see more but I think there strategy has been one of get major album series out primarily as a way to generate buzz.

I'm hoping these Springsteen and Pink Floyd rumors turn out to be true. :emoji_thumbsup:

Seth--L

Screenwriter

There's a big difference between a world-wide release and a Japan only release. The US market has mostly been neglected by Sony over the last few years. Hopefully the new RCA and MLP SACDs will prompt them to release more catalog classical recordings on SACD.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Is this anything like the vote of confidence that a coach gets right before he's fired, or a player gets right before he's traded? I've seen this happen on more than one occasion -- it's a form of misdirection :)

What will really happen remains to be seen.

Cheers,

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm not impressed. If Sony was comitted to SA-CD they'd flood the market with hybrids. They're committed to selling players but their software approach is what I'd call a marshmellow invasion. Nothing they say in these silly press releases means squat IMO, because they never back it up with a meaningful release schedule.

6 months from now they'll release 3 or 4 more SA-CD's for show..........

John Milton

Second Unit

Sorry but I can't stand Ryan Adams. His is one of the few newer popular titles available on SACD though so that's a start, albeit a small one. Not into SP or Incubus either. Where's the NIN SACD? I'd buy their entire catalog on SACD. From what I've read Downward Spiral isn't out yet. Even though it's a good example of the type of music I like and I'd buy on SACD it's a decade old so not what I've looking for in particular. How 'bout the latest Postal Service, Shins, Muse, Blur, Killers, etc albums on SACD? That's what I'm looking for. There's dozens of others, any of which I'd be thrilled about.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, it seems that hi-res audio is not yet ubiquitous enough to move too far beyond the mediocre middle of the pop charts... hence Ryan Adams, John Mayer, Sting, The Eagles, Elton John, and on and on with the (IMO) boring crap, ad infinitum.

Better, more varied stuff seems to be coming out of Europe, but these import prices are killing me. The Bjork SACDs alone are gonna bankrupt me! (Speaking of, anybody find any deals on those?)

AricB

Second Unit

It's not out yet. Me too. I wouldnt hold my breath. The time TR takes recording new album, and remixing TDS and Closure, I wouldnt expect the whole catalog any time right away, but I'd like too.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
So far, I'm not very impressed with the SACD catalog.

My two favorite artists right now are Japanese groups (from the Shibuya-kei scene), both of which are on labels distributed by Sony. PIZZICATO FIVE and PUFFY have released literally dozens of CDs but have only one SACD between them. :angry:

Sony went to the trouble of re-issuing a handful of early PIZZICATO FIVE albums this spring. Were they available on SACD?

Of course not. :rolleyes

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I guess one's perspective depends on the genres of music they like.

I am a big lover of jazz and classical and there is so much out that I have to ration my entertainment dollars. Between the Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence discs I am maxed out this month.

I think we will see more mainstream music come out as Universal is doing a terrific job getting the titles out. We've seen recent releases by country stars like Lee Ann Womack and Toby Keith and a variety of new pop due up like the new Elton John release.

Rock wise things are pretty good in terms of the classical stuff. Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, The Police, Eric Clapton, Elton John,...to name a few.

I think we should remember its a niche format and the main audience is audiophiles so the title selection is slanted toward releases that this market likes.

Mark Knopfler's new disc Shangri-La came out on SACD today. I can't wait to hear it. :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

I thought this topic was about Sony's support...

ABKCO, Columbia/Sony, Capitol/EMI, Universal, Universal, Universal , Universal

Not much Sony in that list, is there?

Cheers,

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the Dylan titles, I think Sony helped pay for the production expenses for many of the releases on that list, essentially subsidizing the release of a great many (admittedly) popular titles. Oh how I long for those days!

But lately... not so much in the way of putting money where mouth is. I mean, I don't expect them to subsidize my consumer desires forever -- which makes me recall those sweet early-adopter DVD days of low MSRPs and endless $10-off/$25 coupons -- but it sure would be nice! :D

DanFe

Second Unit
With over 2410 albums already available on the format (source: www.sa-cd.net), SA-CD is by far the most popular high-resolution, multi-channel audio format. Apart from celebrating its success, a major motivation for staging this high-profile event was to further encourage record companies to release more music on Super Audio CD.

Following this theme, Mr. Kazutomo Enomoto, President of SME Japan addressed plans for his company to release a wide range of music from different genres on SA-CD.

You clearly missed the point John or is your bias in favor of DVD-A clouding your thoughts? SACD is a multi-company issue and the man clearly pointed out the continued need for support from all companies and revealed that Sony will be releasing more in the future.

DanFe

Second Unit
How can you put money where your mouth is when the announcement was made 2 days ago? Can we not wait even a couple of weeks before we say they haven't put their money where there mouths are?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
As I understand it, over the last year Sony has stopped subsidizing other-studio SACD production. This isn't something that has/hasn't occurred within the last two days.

And, in addition, it seems that production of Sony SACDs has dropped off, as well, though I'm speaking out of my hat (ass?) on that one...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Yikes! I'm going to forgo the $40+ CAD (not including S&H and duty fees)import price and just pick up the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks