Sony 36" FS13 or Panasonic 32" HX41 HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mac, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

Currently have a Mistu 35" 7 yr old tv. Looking to replace it with comparable size. Have narrowed down my search to the Sony 36" non-HDTV w/ 16:9 compression or the Panasonic 32" HDTV with 16:9 and 3:2 pulldown. Both are priced pretty close to each other--about $150.00 more for the Panasonic. I really want a 35" or larger as I am used to the size and do not want to reduce to a smaller screen, but would this sacrifice be worth it to get a HDTV ready set like the Panasonic? Sattelite TV would represent approx 85% of my viewing and DVD the other 15%. I do not plan on getting HDTV decoder anytime soon. Thanks.

Mac

2. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

I have the 36" version of the Panasonic you're looking at. While DVDs look fantastic, the line doubler does some pretty funky things with the satellite signal. I actually prefered the DirecTV picture on my old analog 36" TV to my new digital TV.

I would say to considering getting the analog set if you're pretty sure that HD isn't in your near future. The 16:9 compression will make DVDs look awesome, even without the line doubler.

3. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

I just got the Sony 36FS13 delivered this morning. After using the Avia Disc,I am very pleased with it's overall performance. The 16:9 compression makes DVD's look spectacular.

Randy T