1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sonotube Lining

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Kanyak, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

Can I use some leftover carpet padding to line the inside of my sontube and then use about a foot of insulation(like Dustin B) around the port???[​IMG]

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Since carpet padding is sort of a closed foam, it will only act to deaden the enclosure (which may be your goal) however, it will take up space in your enclosure, making it smaller.

THe benefit of insulation or polyfil is that air is still able to move through it. Ultimately it takes up very little "airspace" in your enclosure and slows the moving air in a box.. reducing the amount of friction between air molecules thus the box "appears" bigger to the driver... particularly in sealed setups.

If you are looking to deaden your box and can afford the few cubic inches it will occupy, then, yes go with the foam.

3. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

How thick of polyester batting could I use on the inside if the 18" sonotube???

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

For a ported enclosure.. the ratio of stuffing to cubic feet depends on the size of your box.
    A good article explaining this is here.