Badass Sonosub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SteveCallas, Sep 3, 2005.

1. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

..700 liters
    ..6'9" tall
    ..28" diameter sonotube
    ..36" base plate
    ..Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18" driver
    ..8" diameter port
    ..14.75hz tuning
    +.600 available watts
    -----------------------------------
    Super clean, highly detailed, room-pressurizing, earth-shattering bass that literally has to be heard & felt to be believed

Experiencing it will first scare the hell out of you, then put a permanent smile on your face.

Here are the pictures.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scallas/

Most people use a cd or a dvd case for scale when showing off how big their subs are. That simply wouldn't work in my case. So instead, you will notice gallon jugs, chairs, and even a couch. That will give you some scale on the size of this beast. This thing eats small children. For those of you with an SVS, you could fit just over 5 PC Ultras in it.

The legs are screwed into the end cap and base plate with felt pads inbetween to prevnet any chattering. The port cover has a ring of weatherstrip below it to prevent any chattering. The interior walls were lined with two layers of 1" thick poly batting, and the port was wrapped in it about 8 times. The result equals pure, clean, highly detailed bass with nothing to alert you to where it is coming from. It literally envelopes the whole room.

You'll notive the raw materials for a second. Will I ever need the extra headroom and raw power of a second? No, not unless my listening room was the size of a basketball court. Will I still be building a second? You bet your ass I will.

Measurements will be following in the next day or two.

P.S. Don't make fun of my dvd player, an Oppo upgrade will be happening soon

2. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

Very impressive looking subwoofer... but... you probably won't be able to rest until you get its twin built. Only then will you will be able to experience some serious bass [​IMG] (if the neighbors don't get to you first [​IMG] )

It is so big most people will not have a clue what it is... till you invite them for a movie.

Oh yes, I did watch that scene from "Matrix Revolutions" you mentioned in the other thread... The serious bass is not when the machine says "speak" but a few minutes later in the same scene. Next time, don't turn it off so quickly and you can really experience your creation.

I might also suggest the opening 15 minutes of "The Italian Job" or the first few chapters of "Flight of the Phoenix" as good test material as well. Just don't try them late at night [​IMG]

Joe L.

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

That's insane, I want one for my basement! Ok, I want 2!!

4. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Thanks, but honestly I have no intention of building the second one until I move into a house. If WinISD and Unibox are somewhat accurate, this thing will do 120db in room down flat to 15hz, then begin its initial drop. It should be able to do just over 100db at 10hz, so I would say that is some pretty serious bass. Overkill doesn't begin to describe what 2 would be.

Joe, are you talking about the fight between Neo and Smith? The water bubble and punches and such? Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to that. My parents are visiting me now and should be leaving some time tommorrow, then all hell breaks loose. I have Monday off because of the holiday, so between Sunday and Monday, I will try to go through as many of the classics as I can (Incredibles, U-571, Black Hawk Down, I Robot, The Haunting, Titan AE, LOTR 1,2,3).

Chad, don't know what your budget is, but for two of them and the 600 watt x 2 amp, I paid just under $1500. For what I'm getting, I think it's the deal of the century. I'd highly recommend building one yourself.

5. Joe L.

Joe L. Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

I was talking about the end of the same chapter where the machine is almost done speaking and the spiders start to drop onto the landing... At least with my current sub it sounds louder.

Good luck with the testing... and the neighbors... I have a feeling your sub might win if they decide to retaliate by turning the volume up a notch.

Joe L.

6. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Now that is one big ass sub! Good job steve [​IMG]

7. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Aw! That's the one I wanted. [​IMG] Too bad Ascendant ran out of Avalanches. D'oh!

8. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

So, how often do you find small creatures lying outside the sliding door, sadly having succumbed to the crushing blow of sound pressure from your sub?

"The Wall" misquote: Oh wow, are all these your speakers?

9. R:o:b

R:o:b Agent

that thing is frecken sweet! im a little jelous

10. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Thanks a lot guys. I was starting to question if it would really perform as WinISD and Unibox said it would during the construction process, but once it was done, all fears were gone.

Here is my frequency response with the sub in the middle of my room, about 8 feet away from the nearest wall, with my spl meter 3 feet away from the driver. I've been wondering if having the port so far away from where the meter sits affects low end any, but it appears not to. Also, I have been following what Ikka has been reporting on spl meter correction and it seems the correction at 20hz should be more like 11.5 instead of 8 - I'm assuming this explains the slight dip from 19-22hz.

These measuremenst were done with a tone generator and I tested in 1hz increments. When I used RoomEQ Wizard, I got a flatter response with spl climbing below 15hz - but the spl level was showing in the 40-50's when the meter was showing 90-100.

Pink is raw, yellow is corrected.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=42097

Since I could hit 95db at 10hz on this test, I will assume that the programs predictions are correct. They show 115db flat to 15hz anechoic, with a little over 100db at 10hz using all 600 watts. With the sub in its normal position - closer to my walls near a corner - I should have over 120db down really low.

11. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Steve, that thing is beautiful. People must think the whole building is coming down when it gets really going. Very nice project... you just made my Tempest cry.

12. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

I had been mentioning that a neighbor in my same building had started playing their bass loud, almost in response to my sub. Something odd happened last night.

I had already talked to the neighbor below me and asked if my sub was bothering them. They said not to worry because it doesn't bother them - they are never home on the weekends anyway. They were nice and that was settled, because I will only be watching movies on the weekends.

Well, last night, THEY put on a movie and they had some really good bass, much better than the other neighbor! I've been living here for about 3 months and never once have I heard them play a sub. They either bought one recently or had one and were hesitant to use it. Maybe after me mentioning my surround sound system and using a subwoofer, they thought it would be ok to play theirs. Their bass was able to go pretty low, it was quite thunderous at moments and shook my floor - I'd say they were reaching down to at least 25hz. The other neighbor's bass is more boomy, higher frequency stuff, not nearly as good.

Anyway, it brought a smile to my face, I don't mind them playing their subs at all. I think I have either united several of us to enjoy our subs as loud as we want, or I have created a bit of a showdown. I'm tempted to go back down and see what they have. I see this as an invitation to play my system as loud as I want now, without having to worry, but we'll see. Now I really feel bad for all the neighbors on the opposite side of the building. Not only do they have to put up with my powerful sub during the weekends, but two others as well, one of which is a pretty competent sub.