What's new

Someone please explain RS-232 control for A/V equipment and how it works? (1 Viewer)

Allan P

Grip
Hello all,

First, would like to say how much I enjoy this website and all the useful info found here. What I would like to know is the details on how RS-232 works with regards to A/V and how it can enhance my HT experience.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you have a home automation system, you would be able to connect and control a such equiped receiver via that system. If you don't have a home automation system, this feature isn't really much of a benefit.

Theoretically you can also use this port for firmware updates to receivers, but most big name manufacturers replace receivers every year, so updates like this are fairly rare.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
RS-232 control (or even 422) is important for major automation projects, such as digital signage, architectural displays (museums,) and places where you have numerous players that must be synchronized in odd fashions.

At the home level, if you have a major show-control system, it's more reliable than infrared controls.

I keep thinking I'll build a little box to provide RS-232 control over my projector. This way, for the times when I'm not around, others can figure out how to change the aspect ratio of the projector without having to muck around in the menus.

Leo

Allan P

Grip
So in order to use the RS232 does that mean that I have to use something like Crestron, AMX, etc. that has a networked "brain" or would something like Home Theater Master MX-3000 work?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I don't know about the HTM-MX3000, but fundamentally, all an AMX or Crestron system is is a limited purpose, real-time-operating system computer that handles a bunch of conditionals.

If this button is pressed, do this. It, in turn, sends back a certain signal indicating, "yes, I've received that command." Then do X. Then do Y...

Really, a lot of this can be handled by a basic PC with a whole lot of serial ports and some customized programming.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks