What's new

Some will get a $499 blu-ray player.. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Durboow
PLAYSTATION 3

Unfortunately in light of the minimum quantities of the PS3 very few will actually get to own one, and many people who do get their hands on one will sell it on ebay for the price of a Samsung or Sony stand alone BLU-Ray player..

so good for you lucky folks who get to buy a blu-ray player for $499.

This is a reasonable price don't ya think and get this.............

"this one plays games too."

.....my point is the price I wish the standalone units were more reasonable in price:frowning: ...

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
You can find the Samsung's for $500-$600. You just have to look around.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is that most of the people buying the first batch of PS3s are buying them with the intent of selling them on ebay, then people will be paying easily $800+ per unit. Just like with the 360 sell outs.

Whats really sick is someone will be getting a HD-DVD player for $200 (360 add-on)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Read that Ebay has an agreement with Sony to ban all PS3 auctions for six months after launch.

So people buying units for sale will have to find a buyer themselves.

If I were doing that, think I might hang out in a bank parking lot and chat with customers going in and out.

Where else can people procure that kind of money on short notice?

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
$800? Try $1500. That's the average price they're going for on eBay right now. It was the top story on Gamespot earlier today. I personally think anyone who buys a PS3 with the intent to just resell it is a piece of garbage, but there's nothing legally wrong with it so there's nothing anyone can do.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

I think they're insane, and they only encourage people to scalp in the first place. I don't see them as the victim at all. I feel worse for the gamer who could have gotten that PS3 at the local store in the first place, but didn't, because someone knew they could make a quick buck. It's crazy how many PS3s are being sought just to be resold on eBay.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,

I happened to agree with you on your assessment of these people, they're just as bad as ticket scalpers.

What should be done is these people that are selling these units should have to file with the IRS (if they live in the States).

I wonder if there is anyway for the buyers to report these people to IRS?

Ed

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't understand why everyone appears to be so upset that PS3s are being sold so expensively. It's a high-demand product available in limited supply. Anyone who's taken economics 101 can tell you that that means it will command a high price. That's the way a free market works, and it assures that the available consoles end up in the hands of those who most want them (i.e., are willing to pay the most for them). So what's the problem?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
General resentment of people increasing prices without adding value. Sure, it's sound economic theory, and not illegal per se, but it's just making money, not earning it.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
Its not illegal and everyone has the right to do it however it doesn't mean I have to like these people.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This is a video game system we are taking about, not a body part being sold to the highest bidder at the expense of a patient.

This has been going on forever. It happens in all fields. Almost every year there is a new car released that hits the market and the the dealers charge over retail because of supply. You will pay the additional charges if you want one. It is strictly supply and demand. If you want it bad enough, you will pay the price. I can not see how one can possibly fault the seller. Might as well take a swipe at the home owner who holds out for the best price possible instead of selling at the price the buyer considers reasonable.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Right around Christmas, that price will probably be the norm, problem is who would want it after Panasonic's release and other players.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

If you are looking at the difference of 500 to 1000+, most every consumer.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

Sure, it's legally and economically sound, but it's a terrible thing to do from a moral standpoint, in my opinion, however. Sure, it's been going on forever, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It's exactly akin to ticket scalping, which is something else I detest.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
As someone who BOUGHT a scalped PS2 in 2000, thanks to a military career that had me at sea during pre-order time and unable to "camp" or wait in line on release day, I disagree. I paid a premium for it. I was unhappy about it, but shit happens.

A little research and help, and I got a PS3 pre-order in 2006. If I choose to sell it and land a decent enough profit to buy a PS3 free in a few months plus pocket some change (maybe making up that premium I paid in 2000), there is hardly anything immoral about that. I'll go to sleep content and worry-free. I've been on the other side...the side I'm on now is much better.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Who says there is no value addition? The fact, that the person is making available to you, something that is not available otherwise is adding value for you because otherwise you would have to wait a long time before it would become available for you to buy and use. Thus being able to have and use the product now instead of later is a tangible benefit and thus value has been added. I for one wanted to pre-book a PS3 but was unable to do so but even if I had been able to book one and I was lucky enough to get the PS3 upon launch I would have been in a dilemma whether I wanted to keep a PS3 that is worth approx $1500. Would I have bought a PS3 if it were priced at $1500? Hell no! Well if it can be sold for $1500 then it's intrisic value is $q500 and therefore it is the price that it is costing me indirectly. Thus, would I not be better of selling it for $1500 and wait it out a couple of weeks or maybe even months and then buy it for the original price? Bottom line in my book is that this is not an essential item that needs price protection and thus there is no moral or ethical dilemma here and simple rules of economics apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks