What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Some info on MST3K Collections 2 & 3 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Kevin,
I think the only type of police you have to worry about are the ones telling you to "Leave the Bronx!" :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
John, I'm sorry but I don't get the reference you gave.
I understood that it wasn't illegal to own the tape, it was just a joke.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Kevin,

The "You must leave the Bronx" is refrenced from MST3K episode Escape 2000

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have seen many MST3K's but apparently not as many as I would like, never saw that one.
Personally I want more Joel Episodes, Mike is great but I prefer Joel's dead-pan "Nyquil" delivery, but nonetheless I will certainly buy the newer box set's as I can afford them....(Hercules Unchained would be welcome:))

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The releases really depend on who owns the rights to the original films that are being lampooned. If they're in the public domain, no problem. Otherwise, they have to be licensed. That can be prohibitively expensive, even for the crappy films that MST3K showed. Sandy Frank is known to have been very unhappy at the treatment that his properties got from Joel and the Bots. We most likely won't EVER see them. As they say at the end of MST3K: Keep trading those tapes!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I thought of this when it was too late but maybe it's better we start this next year(depending the interests in it)

But what about next November(all of it) we do a OFFICIAL HTF MST3K TURKEY DAY CHALLENGE

hopefully there will be enough MST3K episodes on DVD to warrent this.

I'm getting the box set for x-mas, and I'm anxiously awaiting to watch these episodes again.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

True, but they dont own ANY of the movies shown in the episodes, Hence the problem. Some are public domain, some had rights purchased for a short time. The Sci Fi channel had access to Universal Titles.

The chances of seeing even half of the episodes released to DVD are small.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians will be out the twelth of Never

Some idiot bought the rights to make a remake, and won't let them release the original. Why anyone would want to remake it is beyond my comprehension, but it's the truth

An idea for Rhino

Find 4-5 movies, probably public domain, price out everything from paying BBI to pressing the discs. Break it down on a $29.99 SRP and say "Hey, you want some new MSTie, XXXX people need to agree to pay $29.99 up front for it.
Unlike certain so-called companies, Rhino can be trusted I think.

The big problem is that the sets are dissassembled and quite literally in a thousand pieces across the globe. So the'd probably have to do CG sets, but who cares right?

What we really need are DVDs of the internal BBI tapes. The behind the scenes, the "tom Servo's favorite segments" tapes

Joel C

Screenwriter
At this point I don't care about new episodes, I'd just like more (and newer) ones on DVD. BBI could probably release them if they wanted (they are self-releasing some now on VHS), so I don't see why Rhino can't.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Jeff, Rhino has already said they've evaluated new DTV episodes, but the money just isn't there. Actually, I quoted a response to that effect earlier in this thread.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Jeff...

Rhino and Best Brains considered this a while ago, but the costs of making one episode would make the cost high enough that even a sucessful video wouldn't cover the costs.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Sandy Frank is known to have been very unhappy at the treatment that his properties got from Joel and the Bots.
I bet he got a kick out of Sandy Frank song from "Time Of The Apes", my favorite episode.

"You better wash your hand, that's my throwing hand."

Corey * C

Grip
Anyone have any updates on the status of Collection 3? I'm anxiously awaiting the release, since I sold my old VHS's in anticipation...

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Box Set #3 is coming out on April 8 (that's straight from the MST3K "Satellite News" emails I get every week).

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Here's the link to the "Satellite News" website:
http://www.mst3kinfo.com/
Apparently, Box Set Three is still on schedule for 4/08 and will contain:
*Episode 202- THE SIDEHACKERS
*Episode 320- THE UNEARTHLY (with shorts: Posture Pals and Appreciating Our Parents)
*Episode 518- THE ATOMIC BRAIN (with short: What About Juvenile Delinquency?)
*MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER: THE SHORTS, VOLUME 2
(featuring Catching Trouble, What To Do On A Date, Last Clear Chance, A Day At The Fair, Keeping Clean & Neat and The Days of Our Years)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
What's the status of the single-disc MST releases? Are they still in print?

I ask only because I still need a few to fill my collection.

Can't wait for those Shorts! Where's Mr. B Natural?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The single DVDs still seem to be in print.

However, there was some sort of rights snafu with "Mr. B. Natural" and I don't know if it'll ever be on DVD.

I pre-ordered Season 3 (still due out April 8 despite the lack of any cover art) from DDD for $36 last night. Now that's a deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.