1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Roundup 2/11

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Feb 9, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

A Real American Hero!

[c][​IMG][/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements which the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
    __________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo__SamsClb
    Angel - Season 1__________$44.99__$45.99__$45.99__$45.99__$39.99__$41.24
    Baby Looney Tunes_________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Brown Sugar_______________$20.99__$19.99__$15.99__$_"LP"__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Daredevil vs. Spider-Man__$14.99__$14.99__$14.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Full Frontal______________$22.49__$22.99__$22.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    G.I. Joe: A Real Am. Hero_$22.46__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Gigantor Set 2____________$44.96__$44.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Man Who Fell To Earth -SE_$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding__$17.85__$15.99__$14.99__$15.99__$17.99__$18.64
    MST3K Collection #2_______$44.96__$49.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Possession________________$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Super Bowl XXXVII - Tampa_$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$17.99__$_N/A_
    Swept Away________________$18.71__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Tom & Jerry:Whiskers Away_$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    The Velveteen Rabbit______$ 9.74__$ 9.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    X-Men - 1.5 Edition_______$17.54__$17.99__$19.99__$_"LP"__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    [/c]

* Fans of G.I. Joe should be aware that they MIGHT want to wait on this week's release of "A Real American Hero"/"The Revenge of Cobra". Why in the world should you wait? Well, in May there will be a re-release of this, with more extras and with a special limited-edition G.I. Joe action figure! Check out DVDToons for the info, and take their poll as to whether you intend to buy one or both of these releases. Me, I'll stick with just one, thank you. The question is: can I wait? [​IMG]

* Target's Low Price ($_"LP") on Brown Sugar and X-Men - 1.5 might just be a nice $15.99, according to one note I got from "Buck". The only thing that substantiates this is that the ad has these "connected" to the $15.99 price on My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which may or may not mean something. We'll know for sure on Tuesday, eh? If true, that would be the best price in town on X-Men!

* K-Mart is back in the game this week, with the best price in town on DareDevil vs. Spider-Man: it's 4¢ off the competition, clocking in at $14.95! They also have a $14.99 price - VHS or DVD - on My Big Fat Greek Wedding (same as Circuit City's best-price-in-town for the DVD). What else? Let's see: a package deal is available for Brown Sugar: Buy the DVD for $19.95, but save $3 if you get the CD soundtrack at the same time. Hmmm...might be good to run by Circuit city for that one instead (see the grid. above). Finally, they have a non-specatular price on X-Men, racking up at $19.95.

* Best Buy is giving away a bonus disc free with X-Men - 1.5. It's a sampler disc full of trailers for Fox movies. It might even be the same as this one, which was brought to my attention by Randy A. Salas of the Minneapolis Star Tribune (thanks, Randy!). Also, My Big Fat Greek Wedding comes with a free DVD of a feature called Dinner With Friends (a 2001 HBO TV-movie starring Dennis Quaid and Andie McDowell, and directed by Norman Jewison). Additionally, you save $5 if you buy My Big Fat Greek Wedding at the same time as you buy Sweet Home Alabama. Oh, and it looks like next weekend (14th-17th?) is a Preferred Customer Weekend, so be on the lookout for coupons. Give them to your loved ones, and tell them what you want for Valentines Day! [​IMG]

* I believe all copies of X-Men - 1.5 are coming with a "movie cash" voucher that can be redeemed for free tickets to the new X2 film, the sequel to X-Men. That film is in theaters in May, so this is a good promotion for it.

* Speaking of promoting: this is not EXACTLY Roundup territory, but I thought I'd spread the word for fans of My Big Fat Greek Wedding: don't miss the 2/24 premiere on CBS of the TV series that picks up where the film left off. Yes, it's "My Big Fat Greek Life"! One of the executive producers is Brad Grey, of "The Sopranos", so that gives me an additional reason to check it out.

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
    -------------------------
    None! I guess we're still recovering from last week...whew!

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD (there may be some duplication of above, but read through it anyway):
    -------------------------
    None here, either!

2. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Order My Big Fat Greek Wedding at bb.com and get a $5 digital coupon.

N

3. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Well Angel and X-Men are the only ones I am bitting this week...get it, biting.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think it's over for the MBFGW DVD and $5 digital cash on Best Buy's online site.

Also, the movie cash is supposedly good for the Daredevil film opening this upcoming Friday. This will most likely push me over in buying the X-Men 1.5 DVD.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Best Buy DVD deals:

Evening with Dixie Chicks 14.99

2 for $20
    Big Daddy
    New Guy
    Not Another Teen Movie
    Muppet Movie
    Stuart Little Deluxe
    Riding in Cars w/ Boys
    Steel Magnolias
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon regular
    Patriot regular
    Cruel Intentions
    Professional (not Leon)
    Knights Tale SE
    Lawrence of Arabia 1 disc
    Resident Evil regular
    Stand By Me SE

-------

Circuit City DVD deals:

Evening with Dixie Chicks 12.99

Spiderman 17.99
    Sweet Home Alabama 17.99
    Bourne Identity 19.99
    xXx 17.99
    007 Tomorrow Never Dies 12.99
    Minority Report 19.99
    Matrix 17.99
    Band of Brothers 74.99
    The Best Man 12.99
    Wedding Planner 8.99
    Bridget Jone's Diary 11.99
    Legally Blonde 9.99
    Pretty Woman 11.99
    Shakespeare in Love (regular) 11.99

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    Looks like I'll be hitting Best Buy for my first DVD purchases since December 17th -- X-Men 1.5 and My Big Fat Greek Wedding -- and getting Dinner With Friends and a bunch of trailers for free. Not bad, lol.

I can confirm that the MovieCash inside X-Men 1.5 can be used for either X2 (opening 5/2/2003) or Daredevil starring Ben Affleck also a Marvel/Fox production, which opens Friday. The only problem is deciding which movie to see free, but I'm leaning towards X2.

Thanks Dave! Keep up the good work on the Roundup next week.

7. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I thought Full Frontal was going to be $19.99 at Best Buy.

Now it's too late to pre-order it and get it on time. Ugh.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Jake, I'm seeing you in stereo! [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Inside joke)

9. Michael Knieriemen

Not sure if this is a mistake but I picked up "Resident Evil" Special Edition for $4.99 and "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" for $10 at Best Buy (West Dundee, IL).

"Resident Evil" Special Edition should have been $10 according to today's BB ad.

10. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

I'll be at Best Buy Tuesday at 10am to make sure I get my copy of Swept Away before they all sell out.

[​IMG]

11. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Thanks for the Roundup! The free disc that BB is giving away with X-MEN 1.5 is also available at my local Cinemark with the purchase of their large 5 ton tub of popcorn. I had a friend who picked it up and said it was nothing big deal. Personally I'm going to wait and see what Target is asking before I decide who to buy from.

Chris S.

12. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Finally!!!

A week when I get absolutely nothing!

(unless the wife insists on MBFGW) [​IMG]

13. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I'll be picking up Angel, My Big Fat Greek Wedding and As Time Goes By: Series 5 (crossing my fingers that BB has it stocked). Thanks again, David and Patrick!

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The Best Buy Ad in my local newspaper shows My Big Fat Greek Wedding as $16.99, NOT $15.99 as you have listed. I am sure BB will match the CC price by Tuesday, though.

15. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

I got the fox demo at a local theater yesterday.No big deal realy. Old trailer for X2 and DD along with alot of making of features.I paid $4.00 Which is about what its worth.It does have the trailer for League of Extrordinary Gentlemen though.Other than that Id say get it if you collect those kind of things.Oh and trailers are 2.0 and non-anamorphic.

Luis S

16. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

I guess I missed something, but wasn't Road to Perdition supposed to be this week?

17. Adam_Garris

Adam_Garris Supporting Actor

Road to Perdition comes out February 25th, I believe.

18. Robert McLay

Robert McLay Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    The (store's name deleted) near me already has the Daredevil vs. Spiderman disk available - and has for at least the last few days. Not sure on the price though, but thought I would let people know if they wanted it early. It is the (store's name deleted) in Canton.

Rob

(Admin note - please do not name stores that release DVDs before their "street date").

19. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Maybe it's a regional thing? Mine says $15.99.

20. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

According to the Best Buy sale ad I looked at earlier this evening, the Fox Trailers DVD is free with the purchase of *any* Fox DVD, not just X-Men 1.5 (in very tiny print). Great if you're just picking up Angel:S1 or some other Fox title this week!