What's new

Some help with Home Theater set up (1 Viewer)

brock50

Auditioning
Real Name
Brock
Here is my set up:
I have a projector, TV, DVD player, Xbox 360, VCR, a surround sound system, and DirecTV.

I would like to have the DVD Player, Xbox 360, surround system, and DirecTV all attached to both the projector and the TV. So basically I want to be able to us the projector when I have people over, and just use the normal TV for my regular TV use. I was wondering what type of switch I needed to do this? I am also curious how I would go to about hooking up the surround sound to all of those devices so that it will play the sound when I am using any device no matter if it was playing video through the TV or projector?

Also, I have the projector on the other side of the room than all of the devices, I was wondering if it would be possible to run just a HDMI cable to the projector and still be able to connect it to all the devices (including the surround sound) using a switch?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I think the best approach would be to run everything into your receiver, then run the HDMI output from your receiver into an HDMI 1x2 Splitter.

Here's a link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=5068&seq=1&format=2

There are some mid-to-high-end receivers out there that have dual HDMI outputs, such as the Denon 4308 or 4310, but it sounds like you already have a surround system, so a splitter may be your best bet.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hi Brock;

Welcome to the HTF. There are many ways to do what you are asking but many factors which can affect the quality of your results. One issue is how you want to connect these items. I assume you are using HDMI for all - but it is possible that you are using component and spdif...

The simple solution would be to use a digital receiver which can act as a hub; most will take several HDMI and have a few HDMI outputs as well. Run the video 1 to your TV and video 2 to your projector... Voila!

One thing to keep in mind is that video does not travel well over long distances. I would avoid using any cable over 12' long for video - shorter is better. This may put a cramp on your projector plans - but there is no sense having a nice projector putting up a crappy picture. Audio meanwhile travels much nicer (except with optical spdif - which is also fragile)

Depending on your layout you may be able to place your stack between the TV and the projector and run lines to both. I personally have a second (upconverting) DVD player dedicated to the projector which sits right under it then I use COAX to carry the sound to my receiver; It works nice. I also have a recessed drop-down screen; but if I were to do it again I would fabricate a fixed screen out of starched sheets and place the speakers behind it; I have tried it and not noticed any difference in the picture - but enjoyed the sound being right in the picture.

You also should consider getting a Harmony remote; with all those items - you don't want to get all mucked up in settings each time you want to use it. A programmable remote (not UNIVERSAL remote!) will substantially enhance the experience for you and the people who live with you. (I call mine the marriage saver!) I thought the price was a bit crazy - until I used one.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Eric_L

One thing to keep in mind is that video does not travel well over long distances. I would avoid using any cable over 12' long for video - shorter is better. This may put a cramp on your projector plans - but there is no sense having a nice projector putting up a crappy picture.
I'd like to disagree with this statement. I feed three DirecTV DVR's to my projector over 38 feet of HDMI cable. Each box has a 3' HDMI cable connected to a 4 input/2 output HDMI matrix switch. One output feeds my projector over a 35' HDMI cable. I cannot see a difference between this setup and connecting the sources directly to my projector with a 3' HDMI cable. All cables and the HDMI switch are from Monoprice.

I will agree with the Harmony remote. There is one in both my theater and my living room. Since each room shares the DVRs and a DVD player as source units, the remotes are configured to work the same. But they each control a different A/V receiver and a different brand of TV. Having the remote configurations the same makes it simple for my wife and especially guests.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Much depends on which type and the quality of the HDMI cables you are using. One should also consider the budget and the room layout (how well concealed/protected the cables will be)

http://www.aacdistribution.com/data/Clearing_Up_HDMI_Confusion.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks