What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When Edwards says that the Han Solo movie is different from Rogue One, I'll assume that means that it's a comedy and not as serious of a movie. If you've got Lord and Miller and they've hired a number of comedic actors, comedy seems to be the way to go with this one.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I doubt that Disney dares to do a Star Wars comedy yet. Maybe later but I think the stand-alone movies are not still a surefire to do such a risk. Don't know how Rogue One is considered right now but to me it is not a resounding success. It failed on many levels. They still need something to cement the stand-alones.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that Disney dares to do a Star Wars comedy yet. Maybe later but I think the stand-alone movies are not still a surefire to do such a risk.
I guess comedy isn't entirely the right word but I mean that this movie will frequently be going for jokes in the middle of the adventure. Han and Lando are often used for comedy in the previous movies and I think this movie will use that humor more. If not, it's odd that Disney hired Lord & Miller and Donald Glover.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Disney CEO Bob Iger

Han Solo movie will follow him from age 18 through 24 and show him finding the Falcon, meeting Chewbacca, and getting his name, Iger says

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
That's terrible news. Not everything needs a goddamn origin. In the words of a great TV show theme, "Think I'll just let the mystery be."

That's what I'm saying Travis. Each time a "backstory" SW film is made, it weakens the mystery, and some of the charm of the OT.
This is the main reason I swore off all SW films from here on.

I don't want some movie filling in my imagination regarding the original trilogy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't want some movie filling in my imagination regarding the original trilogy.

I feel pretty strongly that anything prior to Return Of The Jedi should be off-limits. I know there's no legal or moral or contractual ground of that feeling. But Rogue One was exactly what I was afraid of - a movie that is technically very polished, but that didn't really feel like Star Wars to me, and added a bunch of backstory that I never bought into. I just didn't "believe" the movie, if that makes any sense. There were individual elements I enjoyed, but I didn't believe that that's where the Death Star plans came from in the first place.

Looks like it'll be more of the same with Han Solo, and if the third spin-off ends up being Boba Fett as previously discussed, even more of the same. (I don't understand why they'd make a Boba Fett origin story movie in the first place; Lucas already did that with Attack Of The Clones.)

Meanwhile, there's a ton of fertile ground in the thirty year period between Return Of The Jedi and The Force Awakens. That's where they should be making spin-offs and filling in the blanks. We know very little about what happens offscreen between those movies, and while some of that narrative space rightly belongs to the new trilogy to color in, there's plenty that the new trilogy won't be focused on.

I really dislike retcons, especially obvious ones. I just had a hard time watching Rogue One and accepting that the events onscreen had always happened between the movies; it felt more akin to fan fiction. (Yes, I acknowledge that George Lucas didn't have every moment of the prequels worked out when he did the original trilogy, so yes, to a certain extent, those could be considered retcons too. But for me, the difference is that Lucas was the author of the original work, so he can adjust his own story as he sees fit. But for new people coming in to take over, I feel strongly that they should leave what Lucas had done as is, and only change or embellish their own additions.) On the other hand, there's thirty years of new ground for them to play in, an entirely new backstory to invent, an entire galaxy of stories to fill in. And yet, they seem to have no interest in any of that.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
We need this film about as much as we needed to find out that Darth Vader started life as a whiney, petulant little bitch.

Gee, what if young Han was really a kid named Burt Convy, host of many successful game shows in Corellia despite a speech impediment. Then along comes Hondo from The Clone Wars, who makes fun of Burt Convy for being unable to say "Hondo" properly. So he calls the kid "Han-solo" to tease him and the name sticks.

A Thtar Wwwars Thtory.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Bert Convy?

220361_full.jpg

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes this literally sounds like an origin story! The one thing they probably shouldn't have done. How bad it will be if Woody Harrelson repeats all the Han Solo's classic lines! :D

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Disney CEO Bob Iger

Han Solo movie will follow him from age 18 through 24 and show him finding the Falcon, meeting Chewbacca, and getting his name, Iger says
These are all of the reasons I don't want to see this. Oh and
what does he mean by "getting his name"? I thought Han Solo was his name.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I feel pretty strongly that anything prior to Return Of The Jedi should be off-limits. I know there's no legal or moral or contractual ground of that feeling.
For me, I think filling in some backstory is fine and some should be left alone. Whatever someone thinks of how the prequels turned out, I don't see a problem with the idea of making the prequel trilogy simply because A New Hope is the 'fourth' episode so that means that making the first three episodes is fair game. In the case of Rogue One, I doubt that Lucas had given much thought to the theft of the plans beyond what was written in the credit crawl (the radio play has its own version of it but that was a couple years after the movie and while Lucas was involved, it was written by someone else) so I can see them making that one. Plus, RO only has a cameo of one major character & her appearance makes sense so it doesn't really tread on the ground established by ANH.

The problem with a backstory or origin for me happens when they start writing it for a major character that wasn't created by the people making the new movie. Looking at the info Bob Iger gave, there's some stuff that I find hard to imagine that George Lucas intended for the origin of his character and I don't like the idea of someone else messing around in that area.

None of this means that movie will automatically be bad or that what they do with it won't work but it just steps over a line in my mind.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The problem with a backstory or origin for me happens when they start writing it for a major character that wasn't created by the people making the new movie. Looking at the info Bob Iger gave, there's some stuff that I find hard to imagine that George Lucas intended for the origin of his character and I don't like the idea of someone else messing around in that area.

None of this means that movie will automatically be bad or that what they do with it won't work but it just steps over a line in my mind.

I agree completely.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Han Solo is his name, we don't need some stupid explanation for his name. Please tell me they're not going to make it some kind of nickname! Han Solo is the characters name, always has been, leave it alone.

Also, we know how he gets the Falcon, again, leave it alone!

I hate the idea of this movie and, so far, I dislike the casting. This is literally the first SW movie that I'm not even remotely excited for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexj-12
Recent bookmarks