What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
But with the last LOTR book, the last Potter book, and Christopher Nolan's final Batman movie, I fully believed each of those lead characters was not only capable of dying but likely to.

I think there's a difference between "it's unlikely this character will die because they're the hero" and "this character can't die because this story fits between pieces that I've already seen".
Personally, I don't see much difference between the two. This isn't the last Star Wars movie so it's essentially no different than the first seven Harry Potter movies or first two LOTR movies, etc. where you know that the characters aren't going to die because there's more movies in the future. What the Han Solo movie and movies like it need to do is put their characters into exciting or thrilling situations without trying to make that situation look dire or life threatening. A great example of that is the asteroid chase in The Empire Strikes Back. It's exciting and fun but no one watches it thinking that they're going to kill off 3/4 of the cast.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What kills me is that Han Solo was just some random guy they hired. Sure, he became important later. But they could have easily hooked up with the squeaky little bat guy with the head you could see through. Then we'd be looking at an untitled Star Wars Story about a beer-loving mouse.

361b_845x485p.jpg

Shit, now I want to see that movie.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I hope Woody Harrelson is not Han Solo's mentor and the person who teaches him smuggling and stuff. That would be a real bad cliché.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A person from LFL's story group debunked the stories about Harrelson playing Shrike back when they started. I'm guessing entertainment writers just typed in "Han Solo mentor", got the Garris Shrike entry on Wookieepedia and wrote their stories based entirely on that rather than real info.

Very little has been pulled from the Expanded Universe (the very popular fan favorite Thrawn is a rare exception) and I'd be stunned if they decided to use a character who I believe literally appeared in one book that came out 20 years ago and hasn't been seen since.

Last edited:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Gotcha.

However, Harrelson must have thought that the character was close enough in type to the description of Shrike to answer in that way I would think.

In any case, I'm not opposed to Harrelson in any role. Looking forward to him in Apes this summer.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As for a title, I'm betting on either of the following:

Smugglers, a Star Wars Story

or

Scoundrels, a Star Wars Story

Anyone know how many films Ehrenreich has signed for?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I can't see them not using the Han Solo name in the title, personally.

As far as anyone knows the actors are signed for just this film. But I suspect there are contract options for Lucasfilm.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As for a title, I'm betting on either of the following:

Smugglers, a Star Wars Story

or

Scoundrels, a Star Wars Story

Anyone know how many films Ehrenreich has signed for?

Personally, I'm hoping for Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herders: A Star Wars Story.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
My point is that there's no compelling creative reason to make this film, and they're risking the alienation of a huge fan base if it fails. This is one of the most beloved characters in the Star Wars canon they're messing with, and I've got a bad feeling about it.

I think I heard it on the special features of the Force Awakens, but I believe the idea for a Han Solo movie came from Lawrence Kasdan. When they invited him in to work on episode 7, and also revealed their idea to do anthology movies, Kasdan claimed young Han Solo, because he wanted to write a movie about the character. Now, I don't know if they already had young Han Solo pegged as a movie or just an idea, or if they just had vague "make more Star Wars movies" ideas.

So, I'll give it a shot. Took me a while to warm up to the idea of Rogue One.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks