What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Did it not run in a two-hour block on the East Coast? Or were there somehow more commercials than usual that I didn't notice? From all appearances on the West Coast the Obama address did not change anything.

Isn't it kind of obvious that they skipped the choreography intros as an accession to the Obama address? They had to shave off 30 minutes somewhere.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Obama address didn't end in EST until 8:45 or so. I set my DVR to start at 8:30 for 2 hours. So had it actually ran for 2 hours, it would have cut off. But it didn't.

I guess they padded the West code feed with 20 minutes of commercials.

ETA: Nope, it was 2 hours on the East coast. TitanTV confused me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hm. And I was actually remarking to myself that the show felt longer than usual...

Waylander

Agent
Real Name
Rick
The show was the usual two hours. The video packages were still there, but instead of choreography they were replaced by the video intros of indiviual dancers before they did their solos. That's the only difference. This was done to remind audiences that they were voting for individual dancers now and not pairs, as well as bring the new audience just joining the show (that only watches the top ten) up to speed.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Waylander

The show was the usual two hours. The video packages were still there, but instead of choreography they were replaced by the video intros of indiviual dancers before they did their solos. That's the only difference. This was done to remind audiences that they were voting for individual dancers now and not pairs, as well as bring the new audience just joining the show (that only watches the top ten) up to speed.
Yup. Isn't this how it's always done, too? One the show shifts into top 10 mode, we get short packages of clips for the dancers, before returning to the clips of the rehearsals in the later episodes.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Soooo bummed about Kathryn in bottom two. The one upside is that she got paired with the least popular partner and made it through. Hopefully, she won't get Ryan next week. My fear is she will get Ryan next week and be Allisoned (ie, should be top four, but can't bust through in the popularity contest). I seem to develop a crush on one of the dancers every even season -- Allison, Chelsie, and now Kathryn. None of them made it to the finals.

The polished choreography and musicality of The League of Extraordinary Dancers (a moniker they somehow lived up to) was in stark contrast to the improvised B-Boying by Quest. I enjoyed both, but I enjoyed LoED much, much more. Also, orchestral Coldplay >>>>>>>>>>>> Snoop Dogg. LoED is like a new dance form. It was indeed extraordinary.

So... was Todd working as a choreographer before or after Suvivor China?

I guess "Spencer" is his dance alias.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wonder how a Ryan-Kathryn pairing will turn out next week.

I almost lost it when Kathryn started talking after Mary gave her some love.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was bracing myself but I was glad she didn't quite get to where we've seen and heard her go.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Wonder how a Ryan-Kathryn pairing will turn out next week.

I almost lost it when Kathryn started talking after Mary gave her some love.
"Lost it" like crying or "lost it" like convulsing from laughter?

I remember laughing throughout her first interview package, but this time, I felt a little, "awwww" welling inside of me.

BTW, is everyone aware that it's a top 6 and the finale is in two weeks?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
For those of you wondering who this "Noelle" was that got voted off, here's a picture to jog your memory:

Don't know why everyone says she's so forgettable.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wonder if Ashleigh has enough of a fan base to stay in despite not competing? A smooth move from the hubbie during his moment...

The strongest couple for me was Ryan and Kathryn. Jacob and Mollee actually beat out Legacy and Ellenore as far as consistency. I didn't like the latter's hip hop number. The costumes were awful and didn't help with the choreography.

Can we have more of Alisha, the Bollywood dancer?

Spero D

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

I wonder if Ashleigh has enough of a fan base to stay in despite not competing? A smooth move from the hubbie during his moment...

The strongest couple for me was Ryan and Kathryn. Jacob and Mollee actually beat out Legacy and Ellenore as far as consistency. I didn't like the latter's hip hop number. The costumes were awful and didn't help with the choreography.

Can we have more of Alisha, the Bollywood dancer?

Agree with you on all those points. That hip hop number. Yikes. What was Nabitabs thinking. Kathyrn proving again what a talatened dancer she is. And yeah why not some more Alisha :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is Russell snakebit in terms of partners getting hurt? I am just ambivalent towards him as a dancer, though.

Mollee still has ways to go in the performing/chemistry side of things, she has a lot of physical potential but her intangibles are still not up to snuff, and Jakob had to do more of the load on the performance side of the numbers.
Sometimes 2 out of the box dancers don't pair up as well, and that showed in the pairing of Legacy and Ellenore, while they had a strong first number, they don't quite connect in the chemistry department, just in the gymastics tricks and manuevers.

Ryan and Kathryn ran away with the chemistry award for this show. Kathryn may not have the most amazing anything, but she's close to being the best all-around female dancer (Ellenore is her competition) in terms of re-inventing herself for each dance. Ryan put on his solid yeoman's effort and shared in their performances.

Will Ashleigh go tonight? Hmm... quite possibly both her and Ryan might go, even with his "pleading for his wife to stay" bit at the end of his solo. I'd be sad if Kathryn went home tonight, not so much for any of the others.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Kinda had to chuckle at Ellenore's "wait a minute." I'm glad she made it through though. Mollee seemed genuinely bummed from the moment she found out she had to dance for her life.

Big upset with Legacy going out I think, though he's proved to be one classy, talented dude. His touching Mollee's cheek was sweet.

I want Kathryn to win, but who knows which way the wind will blow?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was shocked, too many pity votes got cast last night. Surprised Ellenore squeaked by, as well as Ryan's plea for his wife might have got just enough sympathy votes for both of them.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm kind of tired of baggin' on Ashleigh. If she wins I'll pitch a fit, but otherwise I'm mostly ignoring her.

I guess people need a couple to root for ever since Jon and Kate split up. :D

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Ashleigh doesn't even dance and she makes the finals anyway? I thought this was a dance show? Seriously, why do they even practice dancing when they should be practicing their little speeches and work up their sob stories?

This is pretty much a microcosm of everything that is wrong with America.

People are voting for Ashleigh because of her backstory or because she's obviously not as good as the other dancers but she tries real hard. I root for the most talented, so AFAIC, Ashleigh shouldn't even be in the competition since she cannot hang on a talent basis.

I might have been more forgiving if she were hot, but someone pointed out she looks like Ernestine, Lily Tomlin's ringy-dingy operator. Also, she's the worst latin dancer in her own specialty I can remember. She's not as good as Kathryn this season and four or five other contemp dancers from past seasons. Kayla is a better latin dancer than Ashleigh, and Kayla doesn't have a soul. Or a reflection. Ashleigh may be only slightly better than Courtney Galliano if that. Ashleigh has no hip action. How did she even compete in latin dancing?

Sooo happy Kathryn made it to the finals -- that Cha Cha was her ticket, and it was the kind of performance where you start smiling and laughing and in the end you realize that there's an ear to ear grin plastered to your face. There were sooo many good things in that dance, and the luckiest person of the night was not Ashleigh -- the luckiest person was Ryan for getting paired up with Kathryn. Legacy's downward trajectory can directly be traced to the moment he split up with Kathryn -- in the meantime, Kathryn coaxed Nathan's best performance out of him and got afterthought Ryan into the finals. When she dances with Jakob in the finale, it will be, in the words of Borat, a liquid dance explosion.

Russell doesn't desrve to be in the finals either. Russell's hip hop was terrible. For a guy dancing in his own style, it was boring as all get out. I know a lot of it was due to Shane Spark's unchallenging choreography (it wasn't about dancing as much as pulling attitude), but I would have rather watched Russell Krump than dance around with what appeared to be Melanie and Tony's daughter. The Bollywood wasn't that great -- Nathan danced his better earlier this season (Russell kept hitting moves like it was hip hop) and it was almost impossbile to watch him because the assistant he was dancing with was super hot and waaaay better. She showed him up in that number.

How many weeks now and what has he done that was noteworthy? Only a lack of mugging and self-promotion keep him from being in league with Godawful Twitch. OTOH, Russell has shown zero personality. Why is he a fan favorite exactly?

It looked like Mollee was in shock after losing out in a dance competition to someone who didn't dance. I would have forgiven her for cursing into Cat's mic -- that might have been the unfairest thing I've ever seen on a reality talent competition.

BTW, if Kathryn does win, I expect her winner's speech to climb so high in pitch that eventually dogs will be howling back in recognition and then glass will shatter through the land.

At one point in the performance show, Mollee's hair got caught in Jakob's mouth, creating a Lady & the Tramp moment:

http://home.comcast.net/~hanson68/sytycd/ladytrampjakobmol.jpg">[/url]

Ryan was rocking a Charles in Charge hairdo last night:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Is Russell snakebit in terms of partners getting hurt?
You know, having two injured partners could be a sign that Russell is a bad partner. Rather than bad luck, it could be lack of skill and he's literally hurting his partners.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After some great performances by all, my favorite is still Kathryn, though I would not complain if Ellenore or Jacob won. Next would be Russell, Ryan and Ashleigh, in that order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks