What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This one snuck up on me, but the first audition episode for season 6 of SYTYCD airs tonight on Fox at 8 p.m. EDT.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I always wonder where the weirdos come from. But it was LA after all.

Spero D

Second Unit
Currently half through watching this ep and one this that is pissing me off is the constant fake audience reaction shots in the auditorium. There is at the most around 20 people sitting together (and most the time a hand full of people) in there which can be seen in numerous shots and when the dancers exit the doors for their on camera interviews after performing.

But when they are perfoming and the judges are critque them the place is packed. Just creating fake excitement. Let the dance speak for itself without turning to typical Fox tricks.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
The one thing that always ticks me off about these types of shows is how often they show close-ups of the judges. I don't care what there current expression is. It's one thing if it's a singing show - because I can still hear them sing, but I can't watch them dance if Mary Murphy's clownface is taking up the entire screen.

I am a huge fan of SYTYCD, and feel spoiled to have two seasons so close together. I hope the ratings are good enough to have two seasons ever year.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RyanAn

I am a huge fan of SYTYCD, and feel spoiled to have two seasons so close together. I hope the ratings are good enough to have two seasons ever year.

I don't think that was ever the intent. As I remember it, the ratings were good enough as a summer series that Fox though it might carry over those ratings to the big stage (normal TV season). That's financially rewarding to Fox.
When NBC tried this with Last Comic Standing, it failed miserably. But then Last Comic Standing is no SYTYCD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Too bad ATL didn't step up to the plate with a lot of talent.

One more audition show to go, and then it's Vegas, baby!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
This is the least enthused I've ever been about this show. Too soon to start this again -- at least Survivor lays off for a few months before starting up again.

I was surprised to see how much better a judge Mary was without Nigel there. It was night and day -- she was not only tolerable, she was informative and interesting. I guess Nigel goads her into acting like a buffoon in the misguided attempt at developing a persona.

Has it been confirmed that Adam Shankman is a permanent judge this season? I like him on a personal level, but he does tend to tell multiple dancers that they're "the best I've ever seen", so his praise is a little bit devalued in my eyes. But I'd rather watch him than pretty much any other judge they have.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The burlesque dancer looked quite old for 21. Plus she needed some make up application tips.

Pascal the conniption fitter was truly strange and deluded.

Awkward moments for that married couple and the divergent criticism.

Toe nail girl was a trooper.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After all that Toe Nail Girl gets cut with nary a nod of recognition.

I love when dancers can do well outside of their genre, like Russell the Crumper did.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think toenail girl was all that great of a dancer, and they felt sorry for her, so they sent her to Vegas.

Ryan looked possessed and it was uncomfortable to watch him try to dance hip-hop and then cha-cha.

I still wonder why these dancers don't prepare for other genres because they should know they have to be well-rounded, and not just be able to do a killer solo.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought Ryan did OK in hip hop (but what do I know?) but that Cha Cha was definitely problematic.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's no way Legacy makes it to the final 20.

Eveta seems too much like a ringer (and she's sort of old looking).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Iveta looks old and her face is greasy. She's got that classic "Eastern European chick who isn't as hot as she thinks she is but is a total diva anyway" look about her. It's one of my least favorite looks.

Nathan the now 18 year old looks like Reese Witherspoon sans the pointy mutant chin:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm glad the guy with the odd-looking pants got the boot in Vegas. I honestly thought he was terrible in his audition, and figured it was a joke. And then the judges gushed all over him, which left me dumbfounded.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had almost the same reaction to Billy Bell's solo as Adam did, that guy has a ridiculously high quality of movement to his dancing.

I had to look away when I knew that twisted ankle was about to happen, that looked gnarly.

At this point, the cuts are going to come down to star power because the 38 dancers left can all dance up a storm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks