What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm still not sure I think Kathryn is a good dancer, but I enjoy staring at her. Legacy and Kathryn had a good performance.
Channing and Victor also did well, with just a hint of Channing's personality finally peaking through her dance veil.

Ryan and Ellinore had a nice comeback from last week's performance, but not sure I loved it as much as the judges.

Jakob and Ashleigh wasn't as hard hitting as the judges made them out to be, Jakob was just a tad too exaggerated, while Ashleigh was a little too mushy, though their dance-sync was good.

Russell and Noelle did well, but that new stage doesn't help ballroom dances. I wish Noelle didn't reveal one of her front teeth isn't real, now I can't stop staring at her teeth when she smiles during judges comment time.

Nathan and Mollee were par for the course, but not all that exciting.

Kevin and Karen lacked any semblance of the spirit of the dance in their number, so it looked lackluster and uncomfortable. They are in danger of going home, I suspect, as well.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I thought the Nathan and Mollee routine was utter crap--danced poorly, and easily the worst-choreographed routine in the show's history.

Ryan and Ellinore's routine, on the other hand, was quite nice, and the best of the night. There were some moves in there that were deceptively difficult, although the butterfly kick was a little off near the end.

I agree with Patrick that the hip-hop by Jakob and Ashleigh wasn't as hard-hitting as the judges thought, though it was another great routine by Tabitha and Napoleon.

The foxtrot was a pleasant surprise for me--good music, good choreo, good dancing.

I also enjoyed the blackbird dance, including the Bobby McFerrin music. Victor seemed a little off in his facial expressions, like he was responding more to Channing (he was smiling in odd places, for example) than to the piece itself.

The pasodoble was danced well (though not amazing), but ultimately wasn't choreographed as well as it could have been, in my opinion. There wasn't as many chances for Legacy to be strong and dominant as we have seen in past pasodobles. I also felt it didn't fit the musical phrasing well, which isn't specifically required by the dance, but something I really like personally. The footwork was quite excellent, however, as Mary pointed out.

Nathan needs to go home--I think he's holding Mollee back. I wouldn't be sad if Karen went home, as I feel she is highly-overrated by the judges this season (major face time, rivaled only by Mollee and Ryan, I think).

At this point, I think I want Legacy to win. Not because he is the best dancer, but because I like his personality and character--he seems quite genuine when giving thanks for praise, seems to give an honest effort to improve and take criticism, and has grown immensely as a dancer. I must admit, when he auditioned, I thought he was a bit cocky, but I quickly saw it was his "street persona," and not how he actually behaves. Nathan could learn from Legacy.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
While I thought Channing and Victor had some nice moments with their Tyce jazz routine, there were two things that distracted me:

1) They were dancing to what was apparently a recording of an asthma attack
2) No one keeps Blackbirds as pets, so that whole thing with the gilded cage made no sense. Stupid Tyce!

And as revealing as Channing's outfit was and as hot as her body was, she didn't do anything for me. Her personality is insular and off-putting, and it she still looks like she's not having fun on stage.

That foxtrot was deathly boring, and Noelle is the oldest looking 19 year old I've seen on this show. If you told me she was in her 30's, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Really liked Travis' routine even though it did seem like a Mia Michaels pastiche. But I liked Ellenore much more than Ryan, who was just there. Ellenore was fantastic. She's my other favorite girl.

For all the hype, that Laurie Gibson routine was completely underwhelming. I didn't get chills at any point, and frankly, that wasn't a single stand-out moment in the whole routine. Mollee appeared to be winded near the end of the routine and was very heavy with her movements.

Kathryn is getting yummier by the week. That crying and high voice thing pegged her as a joke in the beginning, but she's one of my favorites now. And Legacy may be the most impressive street dancer since Joshua. He's miles better than the touted Russell, and Legacy didn't even train at the Boston Art Academy for 5 years like Russell did (Russell? Untrained? Ha!). Their Paso was the highlight of the night, but I wonder what that last lift was supposed to look like since it was totally botched. I was waiting for a spinning donut drop! That would have been awesome! BTW, my wife gasped at the sight of Legacy's shirtless torso. She found it more "aesthetically pleasing" than Ryan's.

And finally: It was amusing that Legacy ripped his pants during rehearsal. But what in the name of Carrie Prejean was the camera lingering around his gender confused crotch area? And why did Legacy decide he simply had to insert his finger into the hole? One of the most disturbing moments on SYTYCD history:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Orianthi should release an instrumental album. :)

Didn't agree with the Channing cut but I understand it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Cutting Channing was euthanasia AFAIC. She was the least enthusiastic dancer I can remember.

I watched Orianthi to listen to her touted guitar work only the hear some Miley Cyrus-like drivel with the occasional Van Halen riff. My wife kept asking me to skip to the results. Shoulda listened.

Cat's recent attempt at product placement:

Victor Smalley -- Nerd Dancer:

Nerd glasses take two:

Quark & Legacy

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The strong couples (Kathryn and Legacy; Ellenore and Ryan) continue to be strong while the others remain inconsistent. My bottom couple is again Nathan and Mollee, though Russell and Noelle's too-nice Samba did not impress either (though they redeemed their evening with their contempo number).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The first half of the show, even with the awful samba and mushy hip hop, was the best of the season. The Lindy Hop was fantastic, I liked both Sonya pieces (although I thought Kathryn & Legacy's piece was better -- Ashliegh & Jakob's song sounded like it was sung by Alex Borstein as Miss Swan). And the Tango was one of the best dances of the season. The choreo for the first hip hop was shit. Noelle was so goddam terrible in the samba that I can't figure out who was the worst female samba dancer evar -- Noelle or Channing. At least Channing had a little snap in her hips. And has Russell done ANYTHING worth praising? Jesus, he gets tonguebathed over nothing.

The second half started dipping during the waltz, and I was underwhelmed by the Tyce piece and the Cha Cha. I thought the Can Can was at least more interesting that either of those performances. And seriosuly, WTF is with the love for Laurie Gibson? That's the second straight week of totally undewhelming choreography, made worse by bad execution, although I thought Karen was miles better than Victor. Ryan & Ellenore were the only couple to hit both out of the park -- off the top of my head, that's the best "Broadway" piece I've seen on SYTYCD (or at least the best choreographed).

Sonya looked like Evil Pebbles with that hairdo. And seriously, Tyce is one of the worst choreographers on the show. The judges really go out of their way to make it seem like his pieces are good, but they are total dogshit. His contemporary was pointlessness in motion -- "you jump around like this over here and you roll around like that over there and then you pick her up". Just like his broadway routines, it's just a random jumble of movements, little to no synchro moments, and a lot of uninteresting lifts. At least he didn't call it a "cancer dance" to make Nigel cry.

Spero D

Second Unit
Cameron totally agree with ya. I love both Kathryn and Legacy; Ellenore and Ryan. Best couples of the night/season.
What I don't understand is the season long pimping of both Nathan & Mollee whom I consider underwealming, inconsistent, hardly ever in sync, etc. Dream couple my a*s. At least Nigel finally called them on their immaturaity tonight, but it was to little, to late. They should never had been partnered together in the first place.

Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

The strong couples (Kathryn and Legacy; Ellenore and Ryan) continue to be strong while the others remain inconsistent. My bottom couple is again Nathan and Mollee, though Russell and Noelle's too-nice Samba did not impress either (though they redeemed their evening with their contempo number).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Victor goes home, and Noelle goes home. At this point it's more about personality than dance ability, though Mollee and Nathan are on the train to nowheresville too.

Me just wants Kathryn to stay as long as she can, probably will get to the final 6 unless she gets a crap partner in the chemistry department.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I want Kathryn to go far also, but am dreading the moment when she either gets cut or wins the prize. You all know why. :)

I almost thought she was gonna go there when Legacy was explaining his tears.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
So then it's agreed -- Kathryn has that certain something that Asian guys find hot (which is not to say that non-Asian guys can't find her attractive either).

BTW, Nigel's not-so-subtle homophobia strikes again. In reference to Tyce's direction to Russell, "you should paint your face across her chest", Nigel espoused this as a great recruiting tool to get horny males into dance. "I thought, what guy doesn't want to start dancing" after being told to do so?

Uhh... Perhaps Tyce? Adam Shankman? Victor? Jakob? Billy Bell? etc. etc. etc?I guess this was Nigel's way of saying, "I want more straight male dancers".

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In "Top Model" parlance, she would be "commercially hot" but that's definitely not a bad thing. I think anyone can recognize that regardless of their ethnicity. :)

So then it's agreed -- Kathryn has that certain something that Asian guys find hot (which is not to say that non-Asian guys can't find her attractive either).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Color me shocked that Russell and Noelle didn't land in the bottom 3 couples. After that, it was fairly predictable who was going home, though I think they'll regret not taking out Nathan when they had the chance.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Interesting that the new couple got axed. I would have preferred Nathan leaving. I thought Victor's solo was great. Nathan has this impetuous quality that grates.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The other reason they should have kept Victor was because he's simply stronger for lifts as a partner. Nathan... not so much. None of the remaining girls are all that petite to be tossed around easily unless you have upper body strength and height.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Interesting change to the format without the interview package preceding the performances. I always thought they tended to plant seeds of expectation, whether high or low. Without them there's less chance of being influenced by anything except the performance (well, and the solos and individual profiles).

Ryan and Noelle did pretty well with hip hop. The middle section was a little saggy and it took me a second to realize what Ryan was supposed to be doing with Noelle's leg.

I didn't like Legacy and Ashley's first routine, despite it being athletically impressive. Too robotic and dry and, as a result, provided no opportunity for chemistry between the couple.

I enjoyed Kathryn and Nathan together doing broadway, with Kathryn outdoing Nathan just a bit (but I could be biased). I tended to agree with Nigel about the chemistry between the two, though that may be because of the perceived (or actual) age difference between them.

The story behind Ellenore and Jacob's quickstep routine could have been a problem if they hadn't done as well as they did. Some impressive footwork by them both.

I wasn't as thrilled with the Mollee and Russell contemporary piece as the judges. I thought they did fine, but weren't phenomenal. I think there was a certain fluidity lacking in the transitions that bothered me.

Ryan and Noelle's smooth waltz was a nicely done.

Legacy's cape was a distraction and hid a lot of his moves. The choreography wasn't so hot either. I wasn't sure what Ashleigh's character was supposed to be either (and I wasn't quite in the mood for it since Halloween seems like ages ago).

Nathan was even more upstaged in the rumba by his all-black wardrobe. Kathryn was again lovely and dynamic. Still bothered by Nathan's broodiness during the dressing down, but I liked him shushing the booing.

Finally deserving "dream team" accolades with Ellenore and Jacob with their interesting but still accessible jazz number.

Mollee and Russell's jive was probably not technically perfect, but the performance had good energy and enthusiasm.

Generally I think the Mollee-Nathan split up was better for Mollee than for Nathan and I expect she'll stick around.

Legacy got stuck with some crappy numbers, but recognition of that and his overall popularity will probably keep him in the competition.

I suspect the one to go will be Noelle just from the dominance of the other women.

With the guys, my vote would be for Nathan to go, but I think he'll probably still skate by, which may ultimately put Jacob in danger because he's simply not as popular as the other four.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness for Jakob and Ellenore because most of the show was a snorefest. They did well.

Ryan and Noelle were a good pairing, their 2nd number was their best one of the night.

Legacy and Ashleigh were a little off sync in spots in the 2nd number, drew the short straw with the first number, but not much in terms of chemistry.

Nathan and Kathryn were good in their first number, but their rumba was a little awkward and not all believable. Kathryn drew the short straw in partners.

I thought Mollee lumbered along in both dances with Russell, she's not all that light on her feet.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Isn't it kind of obvious that they skipped the choreography intros as an accession to the Obama address? They had to shave off 30 minutes somewhere. My favorite dance of the night was... Kathryn & Nathan's Broadway! Partly because Kathryn was in it (I'm not gonna lie) and mostly because it was performed so beautifully. There was so much synchro in it and the couple absolutely killed it. The tightest, crispest Broadway number ever on the show, and the choreography was great as well (generic "Tyce sucks" slam here). And they both sold it -- their mood matched the music and the style of the dance, and I really loved it. The Jakob & Ellenore comtemp was amazing as well, but I've seen quirky jazz/contemp pieces on this show before, but to have a Broadway piece this well danced and choreographed Broadway is like Brigadoon on SYTYCD. Speaking of Sonya, I don't know what happened but I actually like her pieces this year. In the past, her pieces consisted of rolling on the floor, odd poses, and jumping off each others backs. Just a meaningless, quirky jumble. But the Kathryn/Legacy contemp and the Jakob/Ellenore piece this week are two of my favorites from the season. The following dancers suffered without their partners: Ryan - Noelle is a poor substitute for anyone much less Ellenore. Ashleigh - I have no idea what anyone sees in this girl, but she sucked hard without Jakob to distract from her lack of charisma or skill. It's shocking how medicore her hip action was in her solo is considering she's a latin dancer. If I hadn't known, I never would have guessed that was her specialty. Legacy - Dancing with Ashleigh is a poor substitute for Kathryn. Noelle technically didn't really suffer since she sucked with Russell still and sucked with Ryan. Russell and Mollee's Jive was the first time I liked either of these two dancers in anything, although I thought Mollee shined more. That had a lot to do with the fun choreography by Anya & Pasha (BTW, I spotted Anya in the audience sitting next to one of the choreographers earlier in the show and wondered, "what's she doing here?"). I'm just going to say it -- the Waltz was boring. The Waltz is always boring unless the dancers and/or choreography is spectacular. It's like Opera -- either you're looking at your watch as they're singing or you're verklempt. There is no such thing as a "pretty good" Waltz - it's either amazing or snoozy (when it isn't simlpy awful). Ryan and Noelle were snoozy. The best solos were Ellenore and Legacy. Russell was also up there as was Nathan. The worst were Noelle (boooring), Ryan (cheeeesy), and Ashleigh (uninspiiiired).

Love child, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks