What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 10 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, that Paul-Witney routine was awkward, and I couldn't believe they didn't comment on the missed hand-pass either.

Hayley's routine was so unbelievably beneath her talent level.

Makenzie knocked it out of the park (good partnering too), but the general public just never warmed up to her from the get-go after her comments.

Jenna would be the one I would have voted to send home, but she had a good dance performance.

Fik-shun wasn't quite keeping up with Melanie. Not strong enough physically to take command of the number.

Aaron...oh, there's Kathryn, geez, she's beautiful...what was I say?

I hadn't heard about Robert's injury, so all of that emotional push through the piece did have some extra oomph.

I have to say I was watching Marko more than Jasmine, mainly because I find Jasmine's proportions so exaggerated, it doesn't lends itself to beautiful lines, it's like watching a grasshopper dance at times. Jiminy Crickets!

Comfort ... why is she an all-star? I still don't find much of anything she does to excite or captivate me. Poor Nico, he deserved better.

Amy was solid, but I think I wanted more synchronized disco moves in the number. The lifts were good, though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I finally watched last night. I think Paul and Whitney missing hands had more to do with differently learned dance style. American women are trained to "show off". European are trained to follow the guy. Ergo, you get the occasional missed hand.One of the reasons you've never seen Derek dance with Karina.Otherwise all the other dances were good. Makenzie made the tour...time to go.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Zellweger is squinty and pouty. It's French Stewart because it's squinty with a big smile.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
schan1269 said:
I finally watched last night. I think Paul and Whitney missing hands had more to do with differently learned dance style. American women are trained to "show off". European are trained to follow the guy. Ergo, you get the occasional missed hand.
No, it was just a missed connection, straight up. No reason other than "whoops."

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
In terms of choreography, that might have been the best episode of SYTYCD EVER. I don't know if anything last night automatically deserves to be in the pantheon of The Greatest Numbers Ever (although I'd argue that Mark Kanemura's piece was as good as anything Wade Robson has ever done for the show), but there was such a high level of consistent quality and so many surprising triumphs that it was one of those shows that begged to be rewatched (although you can definitely skip over the critiques).
Best of the night was Mark's jazz piece, which was Sofa King awesome. I could watch that in a loop for an hour.

The most surprisingly great piece was Comfort's hip hop, which was not only great, but also the best hip hop number all season.

Close runner up was Courtney's jazz piece. I had heard she was diagnosed with MS earlier in the year, so I was shocked that she was able to make it back to the show to choreograph AND dance her piece as well. Also shocking -- it was GREAT. Some intricate and great looking lifts for extra eye candy.

The only blemish was twitch's hip hop, which was like warmed over Nappy Tabs. It was just boring (mostly uninteresting posing) except for one synchronized part in the middle. Full disclosure: I think twitch is the most overrated dancer and all-star the show has ever seen. But come on -- that was clearly a rank or two below everything else. Comfort's hip hop was miles and miles better.

Nice to see Chelsie back (and looking as hot as ever). Really liked her Jive, maybe one of the most entertaining jives on the show, but Aaron partially tore his rotator cuff in practice which made impressive that he was even able to perform them. I'm still completely underwhelmed by Aaron nonetheless, and he wasn't great in the number. It looked like they aborted one of the lifts.

And while Hayley did not go, she was in the bottom two as I suspected. I think that Nigel had to bow to the wishes of the voters after Jenna was in the bottom FIVE times, including three in a row, and she probably had the lowest number of votes by a big margin. There would have been a viewer mutiny if Nigel saved her again. Amy will coast to the final after the Travis Wall piece in the pimp spot (which I didn't love as much as the judges did), but it will be a tough fight between Hayley's lower energy rumba and Jasmine's dull hip hop. I suspect the people who had been voting Hayley through will vote extra hard after she hit the bottom, and that will make the difference.

Tucker's DFYL was incredible. But he was in the bottom so many times (so to speak) that Nigel couldn't keep him over Fik-Shun. But I don't think Nigel thought twice about that decision.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I started watching last night's episode around 3 a.m., thinking I'd watch a few numbers and then pass out. I stayed up and watched the entire episode. Good stuff. Too bad I'm paying for it in lack of sleep for today, but it was a solid lineup of all-stars bringing it. Allison is amazing. Sad to hear about Courtney's MS struggles, very impressed by her effort. Comfort even impressed me for her hip-hop with Paul, though I didn't think he "sat in the pocket" low enough in the number.

Can't say I'm surprised at who they sent home, it was time.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree it was a strong night overall, with the dancers I usually have been "meh" about countering expectations. My favorites nevertheless featured the dancers I've been favoring all season – Fikshun and Amy.

Paul did surprisingly well with hip hop, especially when the intro package didn't show him really taking to the style. Mark's choreo with Jenna was a highlight as well.

I've never been that impressed with Jasmine doing hip hop. Where her long limbs are usually an asset in contemporary, they make her look awkward and gangly with hip hop.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's just say it was good that Fik-shun wasn't paired up with Jasmine at the start of this season...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Since the top ten, the contestants have danced solely with All-Stars (outside of the group numbers). So unless they had their partner cut, we really haven't seen many changed up pairings between the contestants. Fik-Shun and Jasmine would have been hilarious, but it looks like that could only be possible in the finale.

I seem to recall more of these types of pairings even with the advent of the All-Star format. Maybe not?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some great dances the past two weeks. I loved seeing Melanie dance again. I forgot I was watching Fik-Shun, went backed and started again to pay attention to his dancing. I rewatched the routine last night solely to watch Melanie. I love her. So amazing. Her performance is so perfect.And then Amy's dance last night: that may rival Melanie's "Stone". Superb. I'm hoping she wins. I'm a fikshun fan,but he's of technically good enough to merit winning. But I think if he could get professional training, he would be stellar. And while Jasmine got tied to a poor routine, she's still my other favorite, and I find it a tough call between her and Amy. Tucker: he should impress me more than he does. He's a great dancer. His DFYL again showed it. But he lacks the stage presence and acting ability the show demands.Finally, they let Jenna go. I didn't dislike her, but she was the least of the dancers for a while, save that spectacular dance two episodes ago. The audience clearly wanted her out. But the judges kept saving her. It made no sense. There are times when I wonder if they're getting a different show than I am.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That Tucker dance was amazing. Great choreography. Great performances
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV6m00pWEX4&feature=share&list=PLCH4HUmT1GqmzdyzwfIcIAuPueVNsTroG

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just watched the episode.Hayley's dance was the bomb. Jenna, what was that(in a good way)?Amy. Could anybody else(this season) have done that?The guys were great as well. Fik-shun, the lucky bastard. He actually looked like he belonged there. Paul, he truly looked like he got, and understood, how hard it was going to be...and bought it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Hanson said:
(although I'd argue that Mark Kanemura's piece was as good as anything Wade Robson has ever done for the show)
Okay. Who are you, and what did you do with the real Hanson? I liked Mark's piece a lot, but it was nowhere near the neighbourhood of the best Wade Robson stuff.

I agree that Comfort's hip hop piece was the best of the season, though it hasn't exactly been tough competition in that regard. I though Aaron was merely okay. I thought (and think) that Jasmine is simply mediocre: I have no idea how she has made it this far. I thought Fik-Shun was weaker than the judges allowed, and it's clear that he was holding Amy back.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not going to argue Fik-shun held Amy back. But...who, of the men, wasn't?

They did have the most memorable dances of the season...no matter how held back she was.

Kanemura's dance proved the dude is a world class dancer. Is his choreography there? Who knows...but I doubt that was every trick in his arsenal.

Travis Wall. Seriously. That dance better be on the tour. Already got my tix for the Hammond stop.

Is it just me, except for the Tucker/Robert dance...I never remember Tucker's dances? Not kidding, even with the mediocre Jasmine number(I don't get her specialness either. They make her out to be an Amazon. Jenna and Makenzie are the same height)...I can't even remember Tucker's dance...till I rewind to it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Top 6The Dancers success is strongly tied to getting a great partner and great choreography. Even a good somg. They've got to elevate it, but if someone gets a lousy setup, it could sink them against the great talent.Fun ensemble dance by Dean CheesemanPaul gets jazz by Tyce, partnered with Katherine. Solo by Amy. I'm a fan. Not my favorite routine, though. Liked the song, from a great movie The Red Violin.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hayley with a boxing themed hip hop by Nappy-Tabs. That really surprised me, that was a really strong hip hop dance by her. Great performance as well, she sold the character and scenario. Fik-shun solo. The speed and precision were impressive, and I love Animation and related. But it was too fast to take in. Aaron gets Melanie, dancing to "Faith". Loving Melanie's straight hair. Bummer they missed a catch. I like Aaron, but I don't think he's quite there against the top 6.Jasmine with a solo to win the show. Fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks