What's new

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 10 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I cracked up at the one girl, who was only shown as part of a montage towards the end, who would do a booty pop every time she expressed her excitement. I'm assuming she advanced to the next round on other skills. ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Loved the kid dancing.Seeing the Exorcist Family dance was, as they say, amazeballs! Completely loved it, and another reason I like the show so much. It has a lot of heart, it's positive, encouraging. It doesn't pander to mockery like other show(s) did. I've got a few early favorites so far. Curious to see who gets through the first big cut in Vegas.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Boston had a few standouts. The Jessica Beals lookalike is definitely one to watch, as well as the one with the partially shaved, dyed red hair.
I was so irritated with the drama queen Ribbon Boy.
I'm sure he was nursing this dream of getting to say "no" to the judges as payback for his past rejections. Problem is, it wasn't even some grand victory. He said no to a skills test, essentially.
It was no coincidence that a super humble, talented dancer almost immediately followed his lame, ego-stroking audition.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pretty solid opening for the top ten pairs.

Not sure who's the front-runners are, though.

Amy is the beast, just don't know if her pairing with Fik-shun (really?) will help or hurt her chances.

Makenzie is really pretty, can't wait to see her out of a ballroom routine, and her being able to show off them feets!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Brittany & BluPrint are my fave pair right now (although almost all because of her). I was super worried for her chances because of her untrained partner and the Sean Cheeseman Afro-Jazz dance. They pulled it off with style, though.

Makenzie is gorgeous -- she looks like the TMobile spokemodel. Hayley is also striking -- she looks like a cross between Anna Paquin and the brunette from Rules of Engagement. But then again, Brittany looks like Lauren Graham when she smiles, so I'm going to have to declare her the winner here.

Amy is technically great, I guess, but I get nothing from her. Between Amy & Fik-shun and Brittany & BluPrint, there is a real chance of recreating the magic that was Josh & Katee.

The tapper girl is really cute, but she might be the first to go.

Oh yeah, Mariah looks like Robin Duke from the neck up. From the neck down, she looks like an extra from a Sir Mix A Lot video.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm a week behind. Just did watch the final Vegas week and "reveal".

Sure fire this year...I see zero duds. Every last couple of years you could sniff out the duds. Not so this year. Even with "three Cyrus'" this year.

I'll report back on the match-ups when I get a chance. But...me liking this year so far...

Ditto on Makenzie. Seriously though...is her "my back up plan is being an actress" going to alienate anybody...???

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hayley looks like Rachel McAdams from certain angles.Makenzie looks like someone else I can't put my finger on.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I hope Hayley's sexiness doesn't turn off voters. I mean, that was hotter than the entire runtime of Showgirls. Makenzie is pretty, but Hayley is freaking HOT. Takes away some of the sting of losing Brittany. Of the bottom three girls, Brittany stood out more in her number (and had a better DFYL to boot). She was also better than the other ballroom girl with the crazy eyes and Alex. Such a shame.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I absolutely hated the new format change (eliminations at the top of the episode). Nigel responded to angry tweets (including mine) by saying it might be changed back next week; here's hoping.

Nigel seemed grumpy the entire episode! I thought he was unduly harsh on Jade, as I really really enjoyed his DFYL performance--something about his interpretation of the music was just great.

Overall, I found the episode to be merely okay. No real hallmark routines, nor any complete duds. I guess we were treated to the rare occurrence of two good routines by both Cheesman and Tyce (who has stepped up his game recently).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the couples with the taller male dancers (i.e. Alan and Aaron) have a better time with lifts and twists between the pair, it just looks awkward when the shorter male dancers (like Paul) are trying to overcome framing issues. Kind of surprised Carlos got sent home, but he sort of pulls faces at times. Thought Mariah would have been sent home over Brittany, Mariah isn't an effortless dancer at this time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was not shocked Makenzie was in the bottom three. Maybe her "my backup plan is to be an actress" alienated people.

Hayley...uh, yeah.

Fik-Shun and Amy. Seriously? The bomb.

I do agree with Nig's assessment of Tucker/Jenna's dance. Not enough latin. But, Dmitry probably isn't at fault there. He worked it around Tucker...which any dance in latin is going to have to be tailored around what a contemporary dance can do. Seriously(not counting hip hop...which has its own sub-genres), contemporary and latin couldn't be further apart.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think Makenzie was in the bottom three because of the Viennese Waltz. Paul probably has an Armenian American fanbase that kept him out of the bottom 3. In the same audition show, Hayley said she "dances sexy", which I would think is more alienating and she wasn't in the bottom 3 (also, she was spot on). Mariah dances as heavy as she looks. Aaron is another one who dances heavy. Both of them look labored and lumbering to me. Mariah's DFYL was one of the worst I've ever seen, and easily the worst hip hop DFYL. I assume they kept her over Brittany because she's a female hip hop dancer. But she sucks at it compared to Sara and Comfort.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A lot of hip-hoppers suck compared to Comfort and Sara.

Same thing here taking the 2nd act to an iconic Kathryn number.

I don't think Hayley has danced any sexier than Lauren Froderman did.

And the "butt dance" took out the girl who had to re-invent it last year...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think Jasmine Harper or Fik-Shun will win this year. Jasmine is an amazing dancer and brings the stage presence the show demands. Fikshun may be a savant of sorts. He walked on as an untrained street dancer, but he has absorbed and excels at every new dance in a way that Cyrus never did.Amy Yakima is a favorite for me, and I'll put her in third. (I am struggling to keep straight seven seemingly identical brunettes.) I'm mixed on Hayley. Her first hip hop routine was bad. I like Blu-print and Jade, but they're not good enough for the show. Blu-print doesn't have the charisma to overcome his lack of broad dance skills. Jade, his Animation makes my insides tingle. But he's a clunker at everything else. I'd rather cut them than lose any more real talent. The guys. I'm note sure. I like Nico. Aaron is a great partner to Jasmine H, but doesn't move me as a dancer on his own merits. I like Curtis (Wayne Brady's younger brother). But he needs a few more years to mature. He comes across like a boy, without the emotional roots to give depth to his performance. Special accolades should go to Christina Applegate who's an AMAZING! judge. She should be a full timer on the show, and often brings better critique than Mary and Nigel.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm having a hard time finding a specific someone to root for this season, maybe I'm not feeling any of the charisma from most of the remaining contestants yet.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was sort of surprised that they let Jasmine (non-Harper) go last night, but I wanted Mariah to go, and she didn't land in the bottom 3, so what are you gonna do when the tapper girl did okay last night?

Jenna's got some amazingly toned legs, like Rockette-toned legs (a lot of contemporary female dancers have thicker, but less toned legs. her face is more of a 1950s sort of face with her make-up choices.)

Hayley does dance quite sexy, she totally over-powers Curtis.

Makenzie reminds me a little bit of Claire Forlani, but without her cat eyes. She and Paul are pulling off some good numbers, in spite of his height.

Aaron reminds me of Daniel Sunjata (Franco from "Rescue Me", now on "Graceland"). Jasmine H overshadows him as well.

Maleace is the skinny daughter that Melissa McCarthy never had.

Just a weak year for male dancers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think, unless he "gets it", the first time BluPrint is bottom three...he's gone. I'm like dude...emotional check please.

I do think this is "another year" that they could almost make it free game on who goes home. I doubt, so far, there would have been more than 2 women bottom 6 if they did that.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I didn't get the logic behind "we sense you doubt yourself, Jasmine" and then eliminate her to prove her doubts are correct? I thought the tapper's problems with consistency would be a bigger issue.

My favorite couple so far is Amy and Fik-Shun.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Disappointing elimination this week. I'm differing from the judges, and I can't figure it out at times. The 'king and queen have tea' dance I loved; they were dismissive. In Nico and Alexis's dance I thought she was very weak, overshadowed by Nico; they had high praise for her. Paula Abdul, bless her dancing heart, is not meant for spontaneous dialog. Erin Anderson, meh. Bring back Christina!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks