What's new

So...are you mixing-in your HD discs with your SD-DVDs? (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I keep my DVDs on separate shelves from my BRs, I need to build some more shelving as my collection keeps growing. I will probably keep the 4K UHDs separate also when the shelving is built.

Same here. SDs, BDs, the 3Ds...need more shelving, but very hard to find someone to build 2 more shelves.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
HD is in one cabinet: 3D separated from everything else.So my 3d/4k combo packs are in the 3D section -- alphabetized sort of.
The rest of my HD are separated into Movies, TV, animated, documentary with 4K intermixed (which I think is one disk -- The Martian extended edition), each subgroup sort of alphabertized [e.g. All the Die Hards are together, even Live Free or Die Hard and A Good Day to Die Hard(don't be judgmental, it was cheap and I'm a completest)]

DVDs are separated. Movies separated and alphabetized as above, TV in a separate room also arranged as above.

Finally, I have an empty spot on the top of one of my short book cases where I keep disks that haven't been catalogued (DVD profiler) or shelved.

Oh, and my Criterion DVDs but not Blurays have a small bookcase in a closet

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When I lived alone, I had them separated into different shelves: 3D first, then BD, then DVD. When my wife and I first moved in, I switched to alphabetical straight through. She had a good point about not wanting to have to remember what format a movie was in to be able to find it, and, well, I didn't disagree.

I once had a roommate I didn't get along with (back when it was just DVD), so I'd have fun arranging them in a way that only made sense to a crazy film buff. Alphabetical by original release studio and not by disc distributor can be a tough one to figure out :D

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My collection of 4K discs are separate because there's only a few of them. I recently joined up my Blu-rays and my 3D Blu-rays with the DVDs (I have more DVDs than Blu-rays) after having them separate. I also recently organised them all A - Z, after previously having them sorted partly by studio. More convenient, if less aesthetically pleasing. When I get bored with the present arrangement I'll probably do something different.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My stuff is intermingled and shelved by catagory. For example all the musicals are together. Within each catagory they are shelved chronologically. Classic films are chronological, but shelved together by main star. For instance the first Bette Davis movie is in the spot for 1931 followed by all her movies in chronological order. If 2 stars started the same year, they are shelved alphabetically.

This simple system makes ... it almost impossible to find anything !

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I stopped buying DVDs in 2004, with rare exceptions. They didn't upconvert well on my original HD TV back then. I keep most of them in boxes in the garage. My blu rays are mostly in a jumble (i.e. purchase order) between a couple of spinners in the living room and a library room upstairs. 3d blus and Criterions are each filed together. UHDs are also on their own shelves.

Someday I will file them all chronologically.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
DVD and Bluray in my collection are grouped first by individual movie or boxset, then alphabetically. I only separate out laserdisc and VHS from the rest, since their physical size are rather awkward to place on the same shelf with DVD/BRD. Separating by genre, or segregating DVD's and Bluray's never made any sense to me, unless I was running a movie store.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I keep Blus and DVD separate, I don't array anything as to star, director or genre... nor alphabetically... but I separate my feature films from my TV collection...my TV box set collection is somewhat organized as to genre and era...with the feature films, both my Blu-ray and DVD shelves are arrayed chronologically, according to year and premiere date...ever since I began to appreciate cinema, for some reason, most likely that I'm a dedicated history buff, the year of release is paramount to me in organizing them...and I can find a particular title quite fast with this system...I know exactly where to look to find 1944 or 1957, etc...for some inexplicable reason, I have a steel trap memory for year of release...this system likely wouldn't make any sense to most collectors, but it works great for me...

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have a collection of just about every Broadway original cast CD. I organize those by the premier date of the show, as I do my movie musical soundtracks.

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I keep Blus and DVD separate, I don't array anything as to star, director or genre... nor alphabetically... but I separate my feature films from my TV collection...my TV box set collection is somewhat organized as to genre and era...with the feature films, both my Blu-ray and DVD shelves are arrayed chronologically, according to year and premiere date...ever since I began to appreciate cinema, for some reason, most likely that I'm a dedicated history buff, the year of release is paramount to me in organizing them...and I can find a particular title quite fast with this system...I know exactly where to look to find 1944 or 1957, etc...for some inexplicable reason, I have a steel trap memory for year of release...this system likely wouldn't make any sense to most collectors, but it works great for me...
I used to file my laser disks by year and it was always interesting seeing the movies in the context of others that came out at the same time. I too never had a problem finding a title. In my current somewhat random jumble it can be a challenge finding a particular title. I usually get distracted by something else that catches my eye.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Same here. SDs, BDs, the 3Ds...need more shelving, but very hard to find someone to build 2 more shelves.
I build my own shelves, I buy cedar boards from Home Depot that are 96" long and about 6" wide, the edges are already beveled so I cut everything to what length I want I did my DVD shelving 8" between shelves. I use a couple of corner brackets to attach to the wall. I works great for my needs.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Right now, I am keeping the 4Ks separate (as I did Blu-rays at the beginning), but I suspect they'll eventually get integrated with the others if the UHD collection gets large enough and especially if more older classics like Kwai get released.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Co-mingled. I consider it to be a library of movies, not a library of formats. I prefer it to look non-homogeneous, like my bookshelves do.

I also arrange them chronologically, not alphabetically or by category. I have little dividers to mark the decades. (This comes from having a collection heavily weighted towards older movies -- there's probably only 5 or 6 new releases that go into the collection for each year, new release meaning the movie went into first run this year).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
DVDs and Blu-rays (+1 HD-DVD/SD-DVD Hybrid of ANIMAL HOUSE (1978)!) are mixed up, just like me! ;)

However, our dwindling VHS Library, with one exception, is kept separately. Hey, I'm not going to get too crazy with the intermingling!

CHEERS! :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've thought about co-mingling them to make it all a bit easier. But right now I have the BD's in alphabetical order, followed by the DVD's. Whatever VHS tapes I have are on a separate shelf, buried under paper and probably a text book or two.

I may embark on my quarterly dusting and cleaning this weekend and reorganize all of them at the same time...

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My VHS are long ago given to the Goodwill or trashed. Anything of a personal nature or precious to me was copied over to DVD-r. Commercial VHS copies were replaced by DVDs.
Tape media was not long lasting enough. I found many tapes, VHS and cassettes would not play when I was copying. It usually was not the tape itself, but the mechanism. I had to unscrew or break the plastic case and put the tape in another good one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
When I used to have DVD only, I kept them all sorted by Studio. It was very attractive(especially MGM which had lovely spines). It also worked for me because I have a photographic memory when it comes to films, and which studio they are from(example:Into the Night-Universal). My eyes never had scan long before I found my desired film.

Currently, DVD are relegated to their own section, Blu Ray has its designated section. Sadly, there is no order whatsoever. I have to fix that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks