What's new

So...are you mixing-in your HD discs with your SD-DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Jason_V said:
Original theatrical release date...which turns into a problem with Disney two packs like Fantasia, Fox and the Hound, etc.  I just go by the theatrical release date of the first film in those cases.
For things which are DTV (Lion King 1.5 and 2), I use their first release date since they did not get theatrical releases.
Yeah, I know...
I just did release date order for my whole BD collection and I pulled all the multi film sets out and put them in alpha in the space next to the end of my Criterions

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/269517/so-are-you-mixing-in-your-hd-discs-with-your-sd-dvds/180#post_3961471
I just did release date order for my whole BD collection and I pulled all the multi film sets out and put them in alpha in the space next to the end of my Criterions

I am so retentive that would drive me bonkers. Fox and the Hound I/II, for instance, are on the same BD disc...but two different DVD's...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Jason_V said:
I am so retentive that would drive me bonkers.  Fox and the Hound I/II, for instance, are on the same BD disc...but two different DVD's...
It would have driven me nuts having one of the films be wrong lol

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by JeremyLG /t/269517/so-are-you-mixing-in-your-hd-discs-with-your-sd-dvds/180#post_3961264
One thing that has always drived me crazy is that all disc packaging, just like most books, design the spine label to be read from top to bottom when it is upright on a shelf (in English). If it is laying on a table it is easily ready left to right (in English) which does make sense. However, when all these titles on a shelf if I am glancing at titles quickly, it seems slightly slower to read the titles since it is similar to reading a page of text from the bottom of the page to the top. (this is getting harder for me to describe as I write... oh well.) SO... the way I have all these disc on my self currently is "upside down" where the spine reads from bottom to top. At first, I thought it looked a little off - heck, its a conversation starter - but, I've come to like it.

Think I understand what you mean, but I guess you don't have any that are actually different from that. I have some UK import titles that are basically upside-down-and-reversed of this, ie. rotated 180 degrees -- IIRC, they're mainly releases not produced by the major studios, eg. Artificial Eye. Doesn't bother me too much when they're standing "upright" on the shelf, but quite annoying when I lay them down w/ front cover facing up, eg. in a stack, because the title on the spine will then be upside-down-and-reversed. I'm not too sure at the moment (and too lazy to doublecheck), but IIRC, certain US releases might also be that way unless you opt to use the slipcover's spine instead of the actual BD case's spine -- I'm thinking Kino's titles off the top of my head.

_Man_

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/269517/so-are-you-mixing-in-your-hd-discs-with-your-sd-dvds/180#post_3961454
I'll jump into this one again.

I have wound up with a system using two large Ikea cabinets, each with 8 shelves on the left and right side, and each shelf double-rowed so that the shelf holds twice the number of DVDs it appears to hold. (There's a back row and a front row)

Would you have a link or model number or something like that for the cabinets? I'm going to be moving in about 45 days and there's a great space in my new house to hold movies if I can find something nice.

Thanks Kevin!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Where else on Earth would you find a conversation thread on this subject?
I can think of several similar ones on Asperger syndrome forums. ;)
I mix Blu rays and DVDs together, but I should add that the only DVDs I have now are those for which there is no Blu-ray version. They are arranged 'library shelf' alphabetically (i.e. all the titles beginning with A are together, but within the As they're not in rigid alphabetical order, etc), with the exception of any taller than normal case size box sets, which sit on a separate shelf. The only quirk within this is where I have a lot of films by the same director (Bergman, Kurosawa and Ozu) these are grouped together by director surname under the relevant alphabet letter (i.e. all the Kurosawa directed stuff is under K, etc).
I thought this was kind of over-elaborate until I saw some of the systems listed on here. I feel a lot better about myself now. Thanks guys!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by andrew markworthy /t/269517/so-are-you-mixing-in-your-hd-discs-with-your-sd-dvds/180#post_3961674
I thought this was kind of over-elaborate until I saw some of the systems listed on here. I feel a lot better about myself now. Thanks guys!

We are all about affirmations, Andrew!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think a terrific party game would be to invite one of the other posters here over to your house. Let them at your collection for about an hour. Then see how long it takes you to find a given movie.
Hilarity ensues.
David

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
I love this board. It's one of the only places that makes my obsessive compulsive approach to organizing my discs look less extreme. Not quite normal, mind you, but at least part of a tradition.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Jason, I'll have to look up the model number. I have it in the cabinets and I can figure it out on Saturday.

Glad to know the OCD is not only in my place but all over the place in this thread...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So here we are....

Five years later (to the month).

So I guess it's time to ask:

Are you now integrating your 4k/UHD discs in with your Blu-ray discs in your collection?? Or do they get their own special place of honor?

And what about those poor old DVDs that are still in your collection? Have they been separated out into their own "special area?

My 4k discs, Blu-rays and DVDs are completely segregated from each other (three separate sections). Don't know exactly why. But they are!

Bmfb1980

Auditioning
Real Name
Billy
I sold all my DVDs except a handful. Replacing with bluray. I don't think UHD is worth it though so probably will stay with old blu.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
DVD's are extinct in my collection... ;) I do have my 4K discs and blu-rays segregated. At some point I may mix the media but for now I keep them separate.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For the time being the 4K have a shelf of their own.

I remember having separate shelves initially for HDDVD and BD, then a Bookcase with only BD then the DVD got moved into the closet with the LD and LP. 3D had their own shelf at one point, but not they're mixed in.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I keep my DVDs on separate shelves from my BRs, I need to build some more shelving as my collection keeps growing. I will probably keep the 4K UHDs separate also when the shelving is built.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
My stuff is organized by genre of movie, not format of disc
Mine are sorted alphabetically. If I felt it necessary to segregate by format I'd probably just get rid of my DVDs. That's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

---------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks