What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

SNL : Years 1-5 Special 2/20/05 (1 Viewer)

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Was nice to see a non-series, retrospective show make the full leap to HD, irregardless of the lack of HD for the mostly archival material.

I was very surprised to see the show in HD and the use of rich backgrounds for commentary and excellent placement and use of old photos really made the show enjoyable. As compared with regular "Best Of SNL" shows that run every few minutes on cable, this two hour special obviously had time and energy put into it and the decision to do it in HD was a real plus for NBC.

Content wise, as an old SNL fan, it reminded me of how far the show has come and how much that original cast has really never been replaced. Although some valiant efforts (Hartman, Murray) did pop up later, this show really gave a feel into what made the early years so memorable and how cutting edge the effort was.

Kudos to NBC for a great show and choice of going HD!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Couldn't agree more, chuck. I, too, enjoyed the special very much last night, especially since they portrayed everything "warts and all." I was also very surprised to find that it was telecast in HD, a very welcome bonus.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm liking it (I have not watched the whole thing yet) But it really is making me long for season sets and reminding me how there is virtually no chance in hell it will ever happen.

It also saddens me how the show used to target young adults but now panders to the teenage crowd.

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
That was a preety awesome retro... It really took me back (having graduated HS in '77). I remember pleading to stay up and watch the early shows. Something about those first few years that was fresh and different. This retro really put the whole thing in a new light.
One thing I was thinking about was how much the censors let them get away with 30 years ago! Some of that would barely pass now. Very good show.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It was an excellent retrospective (it reminded me of the Beatles Anthology). A DVD will be coming out with over an hour of additional material including stuff about Mr. Bill, Albert Brooks, and (hopefully) Schiller's Reel.

Now if we could just get the Lemmings footage in its entirety.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I did several searches and couldnt find it on Tivo. Damn I missed it. Wish they would put the first 5 years on DVD. Those were the BEST years in my opinion.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
If you enjoyed this show, check out the book that I believe inspired it: "Live from New York" by Tom Shales. Almost everyone connected with the show (except Eddie Murphy) participated and it covers the goings-on up to 2002, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks