What's new

Sniglets Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Not sure how many are even familiar with "sniglets". I believe comedian Rich Hall originally came up with this idea of coming up with a word or two to describe interesting little every day occurrences and the like. I can't remember some of the better ones he has come up with over the years. Maybe someone here can. Come to think of it I haven't seen much of Rich Hall in some time.

Anyway, as an example of exactly what a sniglet is I will start off with a little sniglet that I came up with to describe what eating Captain Crunch (especially Crunch Berries!) does to you, where you are left with little pieces of skin hanging off the roof of your mouth (I remembered this after reading the "Captain Crunch" post):

This is known as "Crunchskins".

Here is one more. You know when you pour milk into your cereal bowl there are always a few dried pieces of milk around the rim that fall into your bowl?

These are known as "Homogechunks".

I would love to hear some more sniglets from the fine folks of the HTF. Come on! Make us laugh!

Hugh M

Second Unit
the only ones I can remember (I had the book!)

pedidle: cars with one headlight

and maybe ambipodextrous (or something) which means: to be able to turn the bath faucet on and off with your feet.

I believe I recently saw Rich Hall do a Phone company commercial or something like that. he looked alot different.

I don't think he had anything to do with this one, but I was always partial to:

UgBug The late 80's version of the Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ohhh, and I thought you were talking about those things that wrestlers wear (not the pro wrestlers, but the high school wrestlers) but then I realized that that is Singlet or something like that..

...and pediddle is similar to the Slugbug phenomenom, or alternatively referred to as Punchbuggy where you get to hit people when you see a VW Beetly. Not that fun now that the new beetle is out, but my whole family does it on old style beetles.. Hell, if we allowed the rule for the new beetles, we'd all be dead.

Jay

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My wife and I still use one of Rich Hall's sniglets in daily conversation. "Kribbling" is the act of walking all the way through one of those guide rope mazes set up to control a line of people (Disney raised them to an art form, but they're everywhere now), even when they're empty. We now refer to these setups as "kribble mazes". E.g.: "There were so many people for that advance screening that the theater had to set up a kribble maze."

Hall first created sniglets for the old HBO show (based on a British original) called Not Necessarily the News. He took the concept with him when he moved to Saturday Night Live.

M.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Sniglets, one of my fondest memories of the 80s, I had a couple of the books (I probably still do, but buried somewhere).
Some I remember:
and maybe ambipodextrous (or something) which means: to be able to turn the bath faucet on and off with your feet.
I think that one was "Aquadextrous". :)
Lactomangulation: Manhandling the "open here" spout on a milk carton to the point where you have to resort to opening the "illegal" side.
Glackett: The noisy ball inside a spray paint can.
Orosuctuous: Possessing the ability to hold a glass to one's face with sheer lung power.
Some sniglets have since become household terms or even real words. For example, the "spork" - the combination spoon/fork, was described as such in a Sniglets book.
KJP

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
PUPKIS The moist residue left on a window after a dog presses its nose to it.
NERKLE A person who leaves his Christmas lights up all year.
ELBONICS The actions of two people maneuvering for one armrest in a movie theatre.
CINEMUCK The combination of popcorn, soda, and melted chocolate which covers the floors of movie theatres.
STRUMBLE That invisible object you always pretend made you trip, when it was actually your own stupid clumsiness.
GRISKNOB The end of a chicken drumstick which always gives the appearance of having more chicken on it.
CLUMFERT The invisible extra step at the top and bottom of a staircase.
ALPONIUM (chemical symbol: Ap) The initial blast of odor upon opening a can of dog food.
XIIDIGITATION The practice of trying to determine the year a movie was made by deciphering the roman numerals at the end of the credits.
TELECRASTINATION The act of always letting the phone ring at least twice before you pick it up, even when you're only six inches away.
Jon

RicP

Screenwriter
CHEEDLE - The Yellow residue left on your fingertips after consuming a bag of Cheetos.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, I thought of this one last night when I was in the snack chip aisle at the grocery store:
CHARP - The green, mutant potato chip found in every bag.
JIFFYLUST - the uncontrollable desire to be the first to carve into a brand new jar of peanut butter.
MAGNECARTIC - A property of certain parked cars which causes them to attract shopping carts.
BOVILEXIA - The uncontrollable urge to lean out the car window and yell "MOO!" every time you pass a cow.
THREEK - A fork with a broken tine.
And more movie-related ones:
CINEPEDS - the sneakers that materialize behind/beside your head while watching a movie.
I forget what the Sniglet was for this one but I think it was CINESHOCK: The reaction one has to the price of movie theater popcorn.
There are many sniglets listed on this site: http://www.bertc.com/sniglets.htm
KJP

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I invented my own Sniglet a few months ago:

NUMDUH: A broadband Internet luser whose system is still/has become infected with the Nimda virus months after its discovery, attempting to infect everyone else on the broadband network.

I have a firewall that still blocks and logs 20-30 hits from Numduhs on a daily basis.

KJP

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Esso Asso - Guy who cuts through the gas station at a corner to avoid waiting for the light.

Hugh M

Second Unit
you know what, I had a program that would randomly display a sniglet...I think that was on my 80286 machine, but I can't remember, maybe on the PC jr. for all I know...

Some sniglets have since become household terms or even real words. For example, the "spork" - the combination spoon/fork, was described as such in a Sniglets book.
actually that word was probably developed in Prison, since I hear that is all they get sometimes.... :b

MarcVH

Second Unit
Some of the sniglets were only semi-funny, but it's a rich genre. It seems like there should be more room for home-theater specific ones though.

Let's see:

cinemus interruptus is the brief pause you get in the middle of a movie on a dual-layer DVD.

Someone suffering from stadiumphilia is a person who, for some bizarre reason, enjoys using content-maligning DSP modes when listening to music that would sound perfectly good in plain stereo.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Michael! Esso Asso was exactly the one I was going to post! :emoji_thumbsup: To this day, I mention that one on a regular basis.
And, Hugh, I had a PCjr, also. :)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I can't remember if this was a Sniglet or not, but I always thought it was cute:
Hound Wounding; verb; pronounced like "round"; what dogs do before they lie down.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
CARPERIMETER - That dirty area nearest to the baseboards in your living room that it's impossible to reach with the vacuum cleaner no matter the angle of approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks