What's new

Smallville Season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks, Ric, and count your blessings, compared to L&CTNAoS, Smallville is the definitive screen version of the Superman story.

Lucia,
if they used the Smallville Medical Center as the basis for a drinking game, the players would be drunk off their asses by the time the episode was over. :D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The show had it's share of problems. For one, the villains were a little too jokey and not very powerful. However, one bit of nice shared continuity was when L&C got married, it coincided with them getting hitched in the comicbooks.

The more I watch Smallville, the more I kinda wish they could have waited a few years and have Welling star as the Man of Steel in an upcoming movie. I think he's kind of earned it. I've been a Supes fan since I could read, and I'm a bit nervous about Singer's movie. Of course back in '78, I didn't think they could make me believe a man could fly.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm not exactly giving it thumbs down, it's a fun show, but the approach they took with Superman in that show is very simplistic and shallow compared to Smallville, Smallville seems to be telling the epic version of how Clark becomes Superman.

To give it a better analogy, Smallville is like Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, while L&C is like that simplistic animated version of LOTR.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ric,
if I had a dime for everytime I said that I would love to see Welling play Supes in a film, i'd be a very wealthy man right now.

I've said this in the Superman movie thread, I just have a hard time accepting anyone else as Superman, I have a tremeandous emotional investment made in Welling, and to see this Brandon Routh fellow play him is extremely jarring and alien to me. He's a stranger wearing Superman's cloths, an imposter if you will.

This isn't the Superman I just spent the past 5 years watching grow up. I'll see the film, but with limited enthusiasm.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One of my biggest beefs with Lois & Clark is besides Luthor. I believe they only used on other comic villian...Metallo. And he was kinda of lame.

Ric, Welling is 27 or 28. He is older than Routh. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think Ric meant he wishes they had waited to make a movie until the Smallville timeline would allow Welling to make the jump.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
By the middle of S3 I was seriously disillusionned by the series-that-goes-nowhere, and completely gave up after the 1st few eps of S4, what with the appearance of Lois Lane, Chloe's resurrection, Lex' blood disease and the completely retarted magical stones (or whatever the fuck) story lines.

I have been monitoring the threads here however, because while I find this series deserves little of my time at this point, I am still interested in where it's all heading, enough to read the episode summaries and impressions here. And I have to say for the most part I have felt vindicated in my decision to abandon the show.

Still, when I read a couple of says ago about the Clark/Chloe conversation in the S5 premiere, I had to see that long awaited moment for myself. The during the S4 finale recap at the begining of the premiere, when I saw that another long awaited event took place in the finale, a meteor shower, I had to see that for my self as well :). So I interrupted the episode 501 immediately and sought out 422.

Today I watched both and I have to say it was worth it. The meteor shower was everything and then some more. The Clark/Chloe conversation is the highlight of the series for me. The emotion of the scene was carried almost entirely by her facial expressions, phenomenal acting by what's-her-name. A fresh and much needed breath of honesty in a series where dishonesty, however necessary at times, seems to be the cornerstone of most relationships. A perfectly handled scene. On the other hand, the Lana/Clark scene fell completely flat. It might have worked in S2, but they are so played out, someone kill her already! Or at least have Lex bone her or something. Or me, I'll volunteer for the task.

I was pleased to see that Clark/Lex relationship has progressed since I last watched the show (early S3). I may be wrong, but the mistrust is here to stay, and there seems to be a rift which feels like it can only get worse. Something has been lost that will never come back. Even I can feel it even though I have no idea what caused it. I understand that it's everything from the begining, but much more must have happened between them in S3 while I was away. In any case, good work.

I doubt I will ever go back to being a full time Smallville watcher, I know they writers will not change their colors (why would they? they series is succesfull) so I plan on staying the hell away from most of it. But will be sure to checkout the couple of noteworthy episodes that show up in each season, counting on you guys to filter out the garbage ;)

I do have a question which I asked last year but noone replied: Whatever happened to Lionel since he got out of jail? Before he got out, he claimed to have been changed by his switcheroo with Clark. It seemed true at the time, but in ep 422, he seemed to be his good ol' power broker self. What gives?

--
H

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

In the episode called "Onyx" (417) where Lex split into two Lex's (one good Lex, one bad Lex), the bad Lex ridiculed his changed father for his weakness. Lionel realized the "error" of his ways and gave up his efforts to be a good person.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

According to Superman universe, an earthling on a planet with a sun like Krytpon's would be crushed by the intense gravity.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
of course ross is able to get the s hair flip right unlike this movie coming next year.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Nothing. But one of the early reasons Supes was able to leap tall buildings in a single bound was because of Earth's lighter gravity. Back in the late 30's and early 40's Supes could only leap!

Ric

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I'm another one who thinks Welling was the perfect choice for the Big Screen. Routh has big shoes to fill.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think Welling and Rosenbaum both deserve to play their roles at the height of their respective powers, but I doubt if it'll ever happen. If the Singer movie is a big hit, Routh will be asked back. If it flops, there probably won't be another Superman movie for a long time.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I started to write a longer reply initially explaining the gravity thing, but decided on my abbreviated version. It's better to just say what's true in the fictional universe these characters occupy rather than force compliance with our own universe. Then again, maybe I was just trying to save myself a headache. I figured two things as I started to type:

1) People are much more affected by their planet's gravity than their sun's. Thus, a person standing on Jupiter would be under greater gravity forces even though they're much farther from the sun. So technically, it's because Krypton had much greater gravity, not Krypton's sun.

2) The larger a body, the more its gravity. The Sun's gravity is so strong that it can keep planets that are continuously trying to break away in its orbit. Thus, the sun does exert gravity forces on us. A bigger sun would exert a bigger force.

Right about here, I decided that rather than clarify all this in my head well enough to post it, it was time for dinner.

Anyway, this season is unquestionably my favorite so far. In fact, it feels like it's the reward I've been hoping for in watching Smallville when I didn't think it was particularly good. One question, though. Is it Summer in Smallville? Nobody is in school. Yes, I know there was a recent disaster to the town, but they haven't alluded to that being the reason nobody is in school. It just feels like we're in a period after graduation, but before college/work/whatever.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I would guess since they are working College into the show that they will be starting in a few weeks. The season premiere takes place right after the events in the season finale so I am guessing it is still Summer Vacation at this point.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wonder how they're going to deal with Chloe going off to school in Metropolis. Maybe she'll transfer to the same school Clark is going to in order to support him with his powers. Surely they won't reduce her to infrequent appearances. Of course, once Clark has his speed back, he can be up there in a minute or so. If she stays in Smallville, they need to develop a new "Chloe space" since the Talon is gone.

I'm just looking for speculation, so if you know, spoilerize!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks