What's new

Smallville Season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
the Season premiere titled "Arrival" airs tonight(Thursday) at 8pm est, so I figured we better start a new thread!

In many ways it feels like it's been forever since the 4th season finale, so I can't wait for tonight! :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, he wasn't born with the hook. If we assume he's around Clark's age, his life has some sucking in the future that leads to that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
he got the hok only a few years agoafter another john byrne
re-do.

that link doesnt work.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was okay, it cleared the air between Chloe and Clark, although now that seems like old news given his present state of no powers. Their scene together was probably the most honest one they've had in four years.

The phantom zone bit was a little cheesy, especially the effects, but I did like the CGI Fortress of Solitude, though it was pretty obvious, given the budget of the show, it was acceptable.

Glad to see Erica Durance make the opening credits now.

I did recognize "Ursa" as being from "The Mountain", I think she was played by Alana De La Garza.

John*D

Second Unit
Loved the new opening sequence!!!

LOVED THE FOS being created!!!

Loved the X-FILES wink with James starting out as Black Oil.

:emoji_thumbsup: Bravo.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I actually thought it was pretty good, especially compared to last years premiere. It feels like there might actually be some change this season, as opposed to so many reboots in the past. I'm interested to see Lionel's role this season.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great opening episode for the season, and I too love the new opening title sequence. :emoji_thumbsup:

I really appreciate the fact that neither the Phantom Zone nor the Fortress of Solitude were monkeyed around with from the films, a definite plus IMO.

The confession scene between Clark and Chloe is the highlight of the night, I knew that he would own up to her about his powers, but to spill the beans and tell her everything was quite unexpected and a big surprise.

I had to do a double take when Lionel said "The desiples of Zod..." ZOD! :) Also, if that was supposed to be Ursa and Non, they went out like pusses, too easily IMO.

The effect that Lex is having on me is quite remarkable, in the previous seasons he just seemed like a nice guy who only wanted friends, I was comfortable when he was on-screen...not anymore. Now, his mere presance on-screen brings with it an uneasy feeling of subtle dread that I must applaud the show for creating slowly over the past 4 seasons. :emoji_thumbsup:

Anyone care to take a guess at how Clark will get his powers back?

Looking foreward to next week!

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the episode it's self was kind of weak, but then again I think I was just expecting a ton. That being said it's set up to be a good season, I really liked that they have been advancing the overall story line. I am really looking forward to the episodes in the coming weeks. To see how these different people progress, and where each person ends up with there normal life.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I thought it was great. I really liked the little homage to Superman: The Movie when Clark is in the chamber in the Fortress of Solitude. In case you missed it, you can see one of the shots of a person floating at the time Krypton's destruction from the 1978 film among the images for a brief moment. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other brief clips shown that I didn't catch.

So many cool things were introduced: The realization of the Fortress of Solitude, The Phantom Zone, the concept of Zod. :emoji_thumbsup:

And I totally agree about Lex giving a sense of dread whenever he appears on screen. Very cool aspect of the series now.

My only caveat is Clark losing his powers...again. This has been overdone, IMO, and really it's rather dumb. But that aside, good things ahead. :)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Who exactly is Jameses? I guess I am not up on the modern-day Superman mythos. That aside, I enjoyed the season opener, but I have to admit that I am extremely tired of seeing Clark loser his powers yet again.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
James is the name of the actor, James Marsters, he's playing Brainiac.

Brainiac, as I understand it, was a super computer on Krypton that went mad, now, somehow, it's taken on human form and is now on Earth.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, John. I am familiar with the Brainiac character from my (very) old comic book days, but I guess I just didn't make the connection or missed the reference that that was Brainiac in the closing shot.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
All in all, a fun episode. One thing they didn't take from the movie. Lois wasn't cold when she entered the Fortress of Solitude, but Chloe was freezing even before the wind and snow picked up....

Evan M

Second Unit
Given the parallels to the movie, such as (in a round about way) Clark losing his powers b/c of his love for his friends ...

I'm guessing Clark will have to return to the fortress of solitude somehow and convince Jor-El to give him his powers back.

Of course i could be completely wrong.

Anyways, I loved this episode... maybe I've just been without Smallville for too long, but I thought it was really well done. The only thing I didn't like was how easily Clark defeated the 2 Krypton drones... why would they not have blasted him with their heat vision again to ensure he wound up in the isolation thing? But, that's a minor nitpick... and I did enjoy how he caught them off guard.

I can't wait to see what happens with Chloe and Lex! I was a bit surprised he found her.. you wouldn't think they'd have used her real name, but I guess they aren't that smart. How on earth is she going to explain that one!?

I can't say I'm surprised by the Clark/Lana love interest gaining steam.. but it will be interesting to see whether clark fesses up to all his secrets or not. My guess, he doesn't .. and they break up again. But, who knows.. maybe they'll surprise me.

Anyways, I thought it was great! :emoji_thumbsup:
I also enjoyed getting to see the trailer for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.. had not seen that anywhere yet :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One thing in the Clark-Chloe conversation I liked. Is that when Clark tells her she is an alien. You see her facial expressions and you think she is going to be upset. But, she says what Clark is dying to hear. That he is the most human being she knows. He helps people without wanting anything in return. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought it was damn good. Great homages to the original movie and some great stuff to build on for the season.
I felt Last season was more miss than hit.
It will be interesting to see how Clark gets his powers back. Maybe a green crystal like in the movie?

One nit pick. Why is Jonathon always getting thrown across a room with only a few scratches.
Nice to see James with dark hair for a change.

RaymondSteiner

Stunt Coordinator
I recorded it, and i will see it tomorrow, hope it's good (Anyway i have always like Smallville, even season 4. A lot of people didn't like but i found it better than 3).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought it was awesome. The hospital scene between Clark and Chloe is something I've been waiting for for five seasons now. I can't wait to see how that builds. And, Allison Mack was looking as adorable as usual. I love her expressions. If I was Clark, I'd forget Lana and start to build something with Chlo! :) Not that there's anything wrong with any of the Girls of Smallville.

As usual, I agree with John: I used to hope for the impossible, that Lex would somehow avoid becoming a villain, but now I boo and hiss when he's on screen. I don't know if he'll get back to where he has at least a facade of friendship with Clark, but I felt a strain in their scenes together last season, and now it seems like a chasm.

Glad to see Lois has been promoted to season regular, and I do find the new credit sequence to be a refreshing change.

I'm not sure how Clark will get his powers back, but it'll be tough sledding (heh) if he has to go all the way back to the FOS. Maybe Brainiac will drag him there, and that'll turn out to be a typical villain's mistake. *Pop* Super-powered Clark!

Speaking of the FOS, I was grinning from ear to ear when I saw it. I don't know it from the comics--I'm only really familiar with the Superman movie version and the wildly-different Animated Series version--but it was nice to see the same basic location as the movie version. Since they built the set, I'm hoping they plan to use it a lot once Clark gets his powers back. Ideally, he'll start to fly and get up there to train on a regular basis. I don't know if flying will ever be a regular part of the series, though.

It's going to be cool for Clark to have someone to confide in about his powers, since Pete vacated the role. At least, it will be as long as Lex doesn't hurt Chloe. Lex. Boo! Hiss! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks