What's new

Blu-ray Review Sleeping Beauty: Diamond Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm personally very happy that they rereleased SB and even more excited for the news on Pinocchio. My personal favorite Disney animated film. I finally got a Blu player earlier this year. I held off because I did not have a TV with an HDMI connection until this year. I say finally because I'm normally an early adopter. Got VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and HDDVD all within the first year or two of release, well 1986 for Laserdisc. So these reissues are not aimed at people who already purchased the film on Blu, they are for those who did not get the film on the first release. So I'm very happy with these as I will not pay $100.00 plus for them on e-bay.
Jason_V said:
When other films haven't been released on BD (aka Aladdin) and Sleeping Beauty is getting a double dip...I tend to have an issue with that. However, the Disney Wiki is showing Aladdin coming in 2015 followed by...wait for it...a reissue of Pinocchio. I understand the marketing angle and the thinking behind it. I'm not just giddy with excitement over a reissue of something we've had for some time. And that's why I won't be picking up this release when I have every other Disney animated movie on the shelf.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Believe me, I'm very happy anyone who wants the disc has another chance at it. While the Vault is a good marketing gimmick, it doesn't help people who either don't know about or have the money for a release when it comes out the first time.

I just don't like the idea of making a reissue of SB THE release of the fall. If it was coupled with something else...or hit the shelf at a different time, sure.

Besides, there shouldn't be a reissue yet, anyway. It's only been six years from the original BD release.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jason_V said:
Believe me, I'm very happy anyone who wants the disc has another chance at it. While the Vault is a good marketing gimmick, it doesn't help people who either don't know about or have the money for a release when it comes out the first time. I just don't like the idea of making a reissue of SB THE release of the fall. If it was coupled with something else...or hit the shelf at a different time, sure. Besides, there shouldn't be a reissue yet, anyway. It's only been six years from the original BD release.
The re-release would be more acceptable if it was at least the equal of the previous one. Why give those who missed out the first time, less?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd never advocate giving anyone less. I don't think I ever said that was acceptable in any way. However, we all know what happens with releases, especially from Disney. The minute they're announced, you preorder and get them because there is never a guarantee an audio track, a commentary, a documentary, whatever is going to be ported over to the next release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jason_V said:
I'd never advocate giving anyone less. I don't think I ever said that was acceptable in any way. However, we all know what happens with releases, especially from Disney. The minute they're announced, you preorder and get them because there is never a guarantee an audio track, a commentary, a documentary, whatever is going to be ported over to the next release.
Speaking of which, I love the commentary track on the original DVD from 2003 (maybe?). I haven't heard it recently but it's gotten more than a couple plays over the years.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jason_V said:
I didn't mean to accuse you of that. It's more of a statement of why this release pisses me off. I've discovered I have low threshold of "pissed off" when it comes to Disney.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Jason_V said:
Sometimes there's not even a guarantee the whole film will make it to the next release! :angry:

Warnerbro's list of what isn't on this disc is long and scary. For them to drop The Peter Tchaikovsky Story and Grand Canyon? :thumbsdown: This has just confirmed they don't need my money anymore. I'll keep my old Blu-ray, thank you very much.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
As I wanted a iTunes digital copy of SB (included with purchase) I had no problem shelling out $19.99 at Best Buy this week as iTunes sell the HD version for the same exact price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks