What's new

Blu-ray Review Sleeping Beauty: Diamond Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam Favate said:
I have no problem with the disc having the same transfer as the previous release (which I missed and is now selling for nearly 100 bucks on Amazon). The last release was in 2008, so it's slightly earlier than usual to re-open the vaults, but so what? A tie-in to a live action movie with one of the biggest stars in the world doesn't happen every day.
Sam I'm not sure what your point there is.

Zentradi

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
Johnny Angell said:
I will never understand this. I could understand if you didn't already own SB, but to give this money grubbing company more of your money for only a slipcover? Does a slipcover really enrich your life that much?u
Isnt making money the goal of every company? Collecting movies is my hobby and if I want to purchase a movie with a variant slipcover then I will. I had no idea my purchases affected your life so deeply.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Zentradi said:
Isnt making money the goal of every company? Collecting movies is my hobby and if I want to purchase a movie with a variant slipcover then I will . I had no idea my purchases affected your life so deeply.
First welcome to HTF Peter. Now, you might want to check around here and read the other posts and you will see that HTF is more about the movie and the system then the package it comes in. Also please try not to sound so confrontational in your posts. Things are more friendly around here then in other forums.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TravisR said:
For what it's worth, he was just responding in kind.
I suppose Johnny could have been a bit more diplomatic to the new guy but doesn't mean it should keep going. Either way that way of thinking works better over at the other forums where they DO worry about things like slip covers. Here its as I said. Maybe Peter has thoughts on the movie and his theater system.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
TravisR said:
For what it's worth, he was just responding in kind.
I completely agree, Travis. Certainly not the best foot forward from HTF with a new member, imo.
TonyD said:
Either way that way of thinking works better over at the other forums where they DO worry about things like slip covers. Here its as I said. Maybe Peter has thoughts on the movie and his theater system.
? Slip covers and artwork are not to be discussed here, only the films and the systems? When did THAT happen? I've seen hundreds of posts about those very subjects.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
John please show me where I said it's not to be discussed.
JohnMor said:
I completely agree, Travis. Certainly not the best foot forward from HTF with a new member, imo.? Slip covers and artwork are not to be discussed here, only the films and the systems? When did THAT happen? I've seen hundreds of posts about those very subjects.
John please show me where I said it's not to be discussed.While there may be hundreds of those posts over on other sites are complete subgroups just on slip covers with thousands of posts. It's just not the norm here. Never has been. I think it would be hard to find a handful of posts like that here. Now that we've blown the topic.....

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
TonyD said:
John please show me where I said it's not to be discussed. John please show me where I said it's not to be discussed.
I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to impart with these statements:
TonyD said:
Now, you might want to check around here and read the other posts and you will see that HTF is more about the movie and the system then the package it comes in.
TonyD said:
that way of thinking works better over at the other forums where they DO worry about things like slip covers. Here its as I said. Maybe Peter has thoughts on the movie and his theater system.
It certainly seems like you were saying we here don't really discuss those things.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Zentradi said:
Isnt making money the goal of every company? Collecting movies is my hobby and if I want to purchase a movie with a variant slipcover then I will. I had no idea my purchases affected your life so deeply.
Welcome to the forum! How you spend your monies is your personal business and shouldn't be any concern for others.

Now, back to the topic of Sleeping Beauty, it looks like I don't have to bother buying this title again on BD. Matt, thanks for the great review.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
John don't see any discussion on slipcover anywhere on here, do you? Except for an occasional new fella.As Robert said it's his money.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sam Favate said:
I have no problem with the disc having the same transfer as the previous release (which I missed and is now selling for nearly 100 bucks on Amazon). The last release was in 2008, so it's slightly earlier than usual to re-open the vaults, but so what? A tie-in to a live action movie with one of the biggest stars in the world doesn't happen every day.
When other films haven't been released on BD (aka Aladdin) and Sleeping Beauty is getting a double dip...I tend to have an issue with that. However, the Disney Wiki is showing Aladdin coming in 2015 followed by...wait for it...a reissue of Pinocchio. I understand the marketing angle and the thinking behind it. I'm not just giddy with excitement over a reissue of something we've had for some time. And that's why I won't be picking up this release when I have every other Disney animated movie on the shelf.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
First, my apologies for being so rude to Zentradi. It was a result of Zentradi's post hitting two sensitive areas for me: 1) Disney combines fond memories of my childhood with adult perceptions that Disney must be one of, if not the most, greedy, price gouging entertainment companies doing business today. 2) to be honest, I don't understand spending $20 or more for a slipcover. Never dug the "completist" point of view. Yes, it's Zentradi's choice and not mine. I'm sure as time goes by, well have things in common to discuss and also things to disagree on with a better tone on my part. We really are a friendly bunch here. Sorry 'bout that poor beginning.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I typed my comment above with paragraphs. Not sure why they were lost.Edit: went back to fix spelling and now my paragraphs are back.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
"Recently discovered sketches from the Disney vaults reveal that a New Yorker once had the ear of one of animation’s most iconic villains. USA Today reports that researchers at the Walt Disney Animation Research Library have discovered that a bird with a New York accent was the original sidekick for the evil sorceress Maleficent in Disney’s 1959 classic, “Sleeping Beauty.” An early clip of the film shows the “cultured vulture” in a comic-relief role, trying to disguise himself as less-threatening animals to spy on Princess Aurora. In the end, Sleeping Beauty’s curse was broken, but the vulture wasn’t so lucky. It “didn’t add much to the story and also somewhat detracted from that imposing nature of the villain Maleficent,” Fox Carney, the research manager from Disney’s library, told USA Today. “And this New York type of vulture didn’t fit into the world of this classic medieval Europe where this film is set.” Scenes featuring the original bird will be in bonus features of a Blu-ray edition of “Sleeping Beauty” due out on Tuesday."

The above was in today's NY Times. Which of the 3 deleted scenes contains the newly-discovered footage, which based on the above is unique to this release?

I was going to buy this release just for this alone.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Glad there's no reason to double-dip. This was the first BD title I bought, before I even had a player. I have owned Sleeping Beauty on P/S VHS, widescreen VHS, DVD and Blu-ray (LD, sadly, never caught on in my neck of the woods, or I would've bought that as well). As you can guess, it's a personal favourite and would probably be the title to get me to buy 4K UHD, just to drink in the expanded colour gamut and resolution available from a 4K presentation of a large format negative.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen_J_H said:
As you can guess, it's a personal favourite and would probably be the title to get me to buy 4K UHD, just to drink in the expanded colour gamut and resolution available from a 4K presentation of a large format negative.
I doubt the detail would be intact due to company policy regarding fine grain, Disney should redo the titles of most of their animated classics and say they were shot in smoothavision, of course the expanded colour gamut would be nice, i wonder if they can get the colour of all the fairies right next time, indeed did they get them all correct this time with the re-release.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
FoxyMulder said:
I doubt the detail would be intact due to company policy regarding fine grain, Disney should redo the titles of most of their animated classics and say they were shot in smoothavision, of course the expanded colour gamut would be nice, i wonder if they can get the colour of all the fairies right next time, indeed did they get them all correct this time with the re-release.
Except that Disney still has the SE neg and has created preservation elements, meaning that it would be possible to do an 8K harvest and do the grading, dustbusting, etc. in 4K. There wouldn't have been much grain to remove from a Technirama element anyway.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen_J_H said:
There wouldn't have been much grain to remove from a Technirama element anyway.
Which is why i feel it makes no sense to remove the film grain and it does affect fine detail in this film.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As a tie in to all this Sleeping Beauty stuff, the 2 disc Legacy Collection CD set came out yesterday. I've started listening to it and give it a major thumbs up...especially for $13.88 from Amazon right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks