What's new

Simpson lip sync on SNL (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I wasn't defending Ashlee Simpson, she and all her ilk deserve as much ridicule as it takes to rid the industry of this prefabricated bullshit that they want to pass off as music.

My comments were in response to Gary Seven, who seems to think acid reflux isn't a disease but merely a touch of indigestion, then parlayed that into questioning obesity, and to Michael Adams who seems to think that obese people are merely lazy.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
quote:My comments were in response to Gary Seven, who seems to think acid reflux isn't a disease but merely a touch of indigestion
Ah, sorry...and I can tell you personally that it isn't, it is a rather horrible condition that feels like battery acid eating away your throat..which basically it is.
Put it this way, if it can cause scarification then it isn't a joke.....although I know she is lying about this it might help explain why Simpson can't sing to save her life.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
At least SNL didn't hide behind the controversy. Ashley Simpson was trashed in both the opening sketch and the opening monologue of this weekend's show. Now I'm waiting to see what happens when the musical guest shows up.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I loved the bin Laden sketch, and Kate Winslet did a surprisingly good monologue (plus she was hot
blush.gif
). She sang a lot better as Norah Jones in the rap sketch.

Eminem's first song went without any mention of it...

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
From what I can tell, Eminem was lip-syncing as well.

Could have sworn there were a couple of times his mouthing of the words lagged behind the audio.

And very, very few rap artists are known for great live shows. Rap is not a concert-friendly musical genre.

(Which is fine - quite a few songs and artists do work in the studio that can never be replicated in a live venue.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Eminem dropped his mike lower at one point, but his "singing" sounded to be at the same level as when the mike is right next to his mouth.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
quote:Eminem dropped his mike lower at one point, but his "singing" sounded to be at the same level as when the mike is right next to his mouth.

To me there seemed to be an "effect" applied to his vocal - simply that he was rapping along to his own pre-existing track to get a reverb or chorus effect.

The couple times I've seen Eminem perform live he has done very well.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
quote:The couple times I've seen Eminem perform live he has done very well.
Well let's be honest, it's not like Rap requires any kind of vocal range, just the ability to speak fast, keep a rhythm and not stumble over your words, apart from that (and that isn't as easy as it sounds) it doesn't require you to actually have a good singing voice or any sort of vocal range at all, so I don't see why a "rap artist" would need a LS track at all.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
eminem has always used a backing track in order to provide an "echo" effect of his vocals against his backing vocals. He also does it because NBC wanted guarantees he would stick with the edited versions of his music rather then drop in an "F" bomb.

That having been said, any more I've basically written off SNL. The show has really turned ghastly in the last few years, and when I watch, I watch for gaffes rather then "humor" Flicked over and caught some MadTV, which I do occassionaly.. at least their sketches "end" and tend to have something to them..

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
quote: Well let's be honest, it's not like Rap requires any kind of vocal range, just the ability to speak fast, keep a rhythm and not stumble over your words, apart from that (and that isn't as easy as it sounds) it doesn't require you to actually have a good singing voice or any sort of vocal range at all, so I don't see why a "rap artist" would need a LS track at all.

Some of the top rap artists I've heard perform live on TV have been just as atrocious as the manufactured pop singers, mainly in the areas of keeping the rhythm and flow and not sounding like they're running out of breath. Eminem has stood out by showing he can actually perform well live.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
quote:what happened in the opening sketch? I missed it

Seth Meyers parodied the Osama bin Laden tape. He started to rant about America allowing someone to lip-synch on a "live" show.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I just read through this entire thread and have to add my two cents. I haven't turned on the radio since the summer of 2001...this is when I realized that most of todays top 40 music is nothing but a fraud. As others here have stated, its more about style and marketing than it is about the actual music. Such a shame.

I hope this Ashlee Simpson pays for this and her name is tarnished forever. Trying to teach the young people that its ok to be a fraud and be a talentless hack. Nothing but puppets for the big machine.

Its all just a corporate media market machine trying to get our dollars. And to say the truth, they really don't care. Someone else will come along to replace Ashlee in a short time....

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. In a few years we'll all be having this conversation again, about someone else's little sister.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I hope this Ashlee Simpson pays for this and her name is tarnished forever. Trying to teach the young people that its ok to be a fraud and be a talentless hack. Nothing but puppets for the big machine.

Please tell me your post is satire.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else see the 60 Minutes piece? It said they wrote 47 sketches for the show & that gets cut down to 12 or so. I'd hate to see how bad the other 35 are, considering what makes it on air.

I was also surprised to hear how much say the guest host has.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It looks like Ashlee and her dad were telling the truth, as shown by Ashlee having concern of her voice during the pre-show performance. She decided to do the lip-sync without Lorne Michael's knowledge.

So, is everyone going to take back their comments about Ashlee's excuse?

~T

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
She decided to do the lip-sync without Lorne Michael's knowledge.

I saw the piece, and didn't believe Michaels for a second. OF COURSE artists have lip-sync'ed on his show before; Janet Jackson HAS to, because she's too busy dancing onstage to really sing.

And from what I have read of his personality and running of the show, there's no way that a musical guest would be able to fake singing on his show without his knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks